Preemies
Options

Helmet

So, it looks like my lo is going to need a helmet Sad .  I know that it isn't the end of the world- some of my friends kids had them and everything went fine.  But, I'm still really upset about it. I think if he wasn't a preemie I wouldn't be taking it this hard but after being in the NICU and all I just really wanted things to go smoothly from here on out.  Yes, that is totally unrealistic- I know.  I'm just still really dealing with him coming early so everything feels like a big thing.  It's not 100% yet but his PT said today that she would be surprised if he didn't get one.

So, after all that- does anyone have any experience with this?  Can anyone give me any advice to make the experience easier on both my lo and myself?  Any positive experiences?

TIA!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Helmet

• Options

::lurking::

Is it for plagiocephaly? Forgive me for posting if it's not. My daughter wore one for 4.5 months, she was born with torticollis due to positioning in the womb. She favored one side for the first few months of her life and subsequently developed a flat spot. We also did PT.

I was torn up about her having to wear one. But I'm SO glad she did! You'd never know she had a flat spot now. Well, as a mom I can still see a very minor spot but no one else would ever be able to tell. There was an adjustment period of about a week where it affected her sleep and then she was fine. I don't think she ever noticed she was wearing it after that. We were allowed to take it off 1 hour a day. If she saw it sitting there while it was off, she would pick it up and bring it up to her head like, "put this thing back on!" I think as a result of this she loves wearing hats :)

If your LO is going to wear it in the winter months, that's lucky- those things can be very hot & sweaty. They make really cute designs now too.

Yes, you will get stares in public which is hard for a mommy to bear. But you will know you are doing what's right for your LO in the long run. Now when I see a mom with a baby in a helmet I make a point of talking to them; I felt so bad being the mom with the kid in a helmet and the few moms I have approached have been really eager to talk.

GL!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have had our first evaluation and will be going back in November a little before five months adjusted. How often is PT? We upped from twice a month to weekly and my husband and I have been very focused on repositioning and stretches. We've noticed a tremendous difference and are hoping to avoid the helmet.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Both my twins wore helmets earlier this year.  We started noticing the flatness about 6 weeks after they came home.  At that point we tried doing things to keep it from getting worse such as stopping use of the Rock N Plays and increasing tummy time.  They HATED tummy time and would scream every time I tried so needless to say that never went very well.  Any how, after about 2 months of that our pedi finally referred us to the helmet place and they recommended the DOC band for them.  I was upset too about it too and felt guilty about it.  However once they got the helmets my feelings about it got much better. 

They only needed them for 6 weeks because they grew so fast.  It was a big improvement in short time and their heads look great now!  The biggest pain in the process was having to come once a week for adjustments.  Otherwise you and baby get used to them really quickly.  The place we went to encourages you to start the process around 6 months for the best and fastest results.  My boys were about 5 months adjusted when we started.

• Options
    Thank you for the positive reply- I can use it.  I also feel so guilty.  I feel like I'm not doing enough to help it get better.  He will do tummy time but only for a short time.  I guess I still have a lot of guilt over him coming early and I feel like this is something else I'm failing him on.  :(  I hope that he does as well as your los!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    One of my twins is getting one too...I actually think she'll look adorable and can't wait to post pics of her little cute face in her decorated helmet.  :)  This too shall pass and your little one will have a perfect little head!
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    My son's getting his helmet tomorrow and will have for 3-4 months. I was upset at first but he will do fine I know and in the long run it's such little time! Think of it as getting braces. I know my LO wouldn't mind. If we didn't do it he would have a mishapen head when he is older and I wouldn't want him to be upset by that!
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"