Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Fingernails

I just clipped my son's fingernails for the first time and both his pointer fingers bled! :(  He isn't crying about it since I did it while my husband was feeding him...but I never want to do it again!  Any tips on doing this?  I have the big grip safety 1st baby nail clippers.  TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fingernails

• imagepupluv0410:
    I just clipped my son's fingernails for the first time and both his pointer fingers bled! :(  He isn't crying about it since I did it while my husband was feeding him...but I never want to do it again!  Any tips on doing this?  I have the big grip safety 1st baby nail clippers.  TIA!

We have the zoli baby nail file andi ts amazing! its works great and theres like no way to hurt the babies fingers. Their nails grow so fast and its easy just to use the file every few days.  

• imageIncognitoSuperhero:

We have the zoli baby nail file andi ts amazing! its works great and theres like no way to hurt the babies fingers. Their nails grow so fast and its easy just to use the file every few days.  

we have the zoli as well, and love it. my LO likes it a lot, too - it's like a day at the spa :)

My Baby Blog: www.whosthatmom.com

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image

• Loading the player...
  • Where did you get the Zoli nail file?  I searched for it on babiesrus.com and couldn't find it.  Thanks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just bite them off!  Although they are getting a bit thicker as he is getting older thus harder to bite lol
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• imagestarlababy02:
    imageIncognitoSuperhero:

We have the zoli baby nail file andi ts amazing! its works great and theres like no way to hurt the babies fingers. Their nails grow so fast and its easy just to use the file every few days. &nbsp;

we have the zoli as well, and love it. my LO likes it a lot, too - it's like a day at the spa :)

Haha that's what we always call him, a little spa baby.
  • imagepupluv0410:
    Where did you get the Zoli nail file?nbsp; I searched for it on babiesrus.com and couldn't find it.nbsp; Thanks.

You can google it, I'm sure it's on amazon and diapers.com
  • Safety scissors work well also
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Please be careful! Paula had to be admitted to the hospital at just under 2 weeks old because MIL had pulled off the bits of nail that were hanging off when she was a day old and one finger became infected. Very scary. Biting them off is a HUGE no no because bacteria from your mouth can infect any even microscopic openings created in the skin from removing the nail. We had to convince the ER docs that we did not bite her nails.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • So far, I have never cut her fingers using some good quality nail scissors.  After that I buff away the rest with a Zoli electric nail file. It seems quicker this way- if only using the nail file it takes a while to file down, so I cut off the majority of her tips with the scissors at first (during bf or when shes sleeping so shes still), with leaving some white tip to file down more.  While nail files shouldnt hurt her, I would personally suggest trying to put your fingernail tip under her fingernail tip as a barrier to prevent the file from rubbing her skin too much. HTH. 

• I tried filing in the beginning but it just didn't do the job. I use the nail clippers and have made her bleed one. Have you tried doing it when he is sleeping? I think that works best.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • cuticle clippers are the way to go.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Our nurse in the hospital told us to only file them until our son was a month old, and then they are strong enough to clip. Once we started clipping them i just clip them a little at a time, always while he is awake after he just ate that's when he's most content and will let me move his hands how i need them. When he's sleeping he tends to clench his hands so it's completely impossible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"