TTC After a Loss

***~AL Book Club Discussion~***

2»

Re: ***~AL Book Club Discussion~***

• imageHoolahZinger:

What do you think about the fight between Tris and Tobias in the end? I kind of already touched on this but it was intense. I like it when I actually am put in suspense. I had no idea how it was going to come out but I figured, since Tris was the main character, she wouldn't die. Still, I couldn't imagine her killing Tobias either so I was on the edge of my seat for this scene. i'm kind of shocked Eric and Jeanine didn't show up in the confrontation though. It seems like if they knew there had been Divergents running around, they would have hightailed it back to the hub and made sure it was safe. 

I agree! I had no idea what was going to happen here. I didn't want her to kill Tobias, but from her simulation, when confronted with killing someone she loved she killed herself and I didn't think they could kill Tris off either. I was so relieved that Tobias snapped out of it, but I found it surprising that no one showed up to interfere.

TTC:Off BCP December 2011. BFP #1 January 16, 2012; EDD September 12, 2012; m/c Feb,1 2012. BFP #2 June 6, 2012; EDD February 11, 2013; diagnosed with blighted ovum/had D&C July 12,2012. BFP #3 October 20, 2012; EDD June 29, 2013. BabyFruit Ticker Sunshine_zps3fcf529f
  • imagemundayem:
    One thing I didn't anticipate was that the Dauntless would only allow some initiates into the faction and not all. I thought the competition part was very interesting to see what all Tris might be capable of. I've read the second book so I don't want to give anything away. Since I already know what happens in Amity I can't answer that question. I saw the Four/ Tris romance coming a mile away but I still like them together so it didn't bother me. I also liked the mom a lot and wish she didn't have to die like that. I highly recommended the second book. There are a lot of twists and turns in that book that I didn't expect. I'm pissed I have to wait another year for the third book to come out. I think the reason Tobias was left in the control room by himself is that she had absolute confidence that the new serum would keep him under control. I liked the way that Tris saved him. I thought for sure she was going to have to kill him and I was really glad she didn't. I would love to have another discussion after you ladies read book two, there is so much more cool stuff to come.

The bolded part really surprised me. When they said they wouldn't all make it through initiation, I may have audibly gasped. lol

I definitely am looking forward to reading the second book!!

TTC:Off BCP December 2011. BFP #1 January 16, 2012; EDD September 12, 2012; m/c Feb,1 2012. BFP #2 June 6, 2012; EDD February 11, 2013; diagnosed with blighted ovum/had D&C July 12,2012. BFP #3 October 20, 2012; EDD June 29, 2013. BabyFruit Ticker Sunshine_zps3fcf529f
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHoolahZinger:

It kind of reminds me how they are talking about putting identification chips in people's skin. Ew...creepy!  

I thought of this, too. That whole idea scares me. With books like this, I am always like, that would/could never happen. And then I look around and realize that maybe it could...creepy!!

• imageHoolahZinger:

Part of me wants to read the second right away...and then I think about how long I have to wait for the third. Meh, who am I kidding? I'm probably going out and getting the second right after my current read and then will re-read both before the third release Wink 

This is exactly what I will do. I will probably go get the second one to read when I am done with my current book. And then right before the third one is finally released I will reread books one and two. I never mind reading books more than once though. I do that a lot!

• imagemundayem:
    One thing I didn't anticipate was that the Dauntless would only allow some initiates into the faction and not all. I thought the competition part was very interesting to see what all Tris might be capable of. I've read the second book so I don't want to give anything away. Since I already know what happens in Amity I can't answer that question. I saw the Four/ Tris romance coming a mile away but I still like them together so it didn't bother me. I also liked the mom a lot and wish she didn't have to die like that. I highly recommended the second book. There are a lot of twists and turns in that book that I didn't expect. I'm pissed I have to wait another year for the third book to come out. I think the reason Tobias was left in the control room by himself is that she had absolute confidence that the new serum would keep him under control. I liked the way that Tris saved him. I thought for sure she was going to have to kill him and I was really glad she didn't. I would love to have another discussion after you ladies read book two, there is so much more cool stuff to come.
    I didn't expect that either. It kinda threw me. Yeah the competition was very interesting. Kinda scary even. I plan on reading the next book for sure. I am hooked.
    Me(26)DH(33)
    TTC for #1 since Jan 2010
    BFP #1 Oct 1 2010 MC Oct 3 2010
    DX PCOS w/ AO Nov 2011
    3 rounds of Clomid all BFN
    BFP #2 10/12/12 Beta #1 45.1 Beta #2 160.7 * 2/27 diagnosed with IEF in utero.
    Dalaney born @ 35w2d via emergency C-section due to Pre-E after 30 hrs of labor & losing her HB twice. She weighed 5lbs 8oz & was 19in long on May 26th 2013 @ 605am

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers   image

"Severe truth is expressed with some bitterness."
  • imageHoolahZinger:
    imageminicheezburg:
    imagejenek0213:

The simulation serum really creeped me out. I get that way though about altered reality. Like the movie Inception or The Truman Show or Matrix. What if I am the only "real" person and I'm in some sort of elaborate simulation? I know that's a little conspiracy theory but I always ask the "what if" question after reading or watching things like that.  What if that is why I'm having all the crazy trouble TTC  - I'm part of some sort of secret study and I'm totally unaware?

For reals - I know that's not the case but  when I read about the simulation serum - it did make me stop and play the "what if..." game for a while.

I am glad I am not alone lol! I would not like that part of it. I don't like losing control. That is so scary to think about, that everyone and everything is just a figment of my imagination. Like some kind of sick joke. I am right there with you in the "what if" game.

It kind of reminds me how they are talking about putting identification chips in people's skin. Ew...creepy!  

Yeah WAY too much control. I don't like that.

Me(26)DH(33)
    DX PCOS w/ AO Nov 2011
    Dalaney born @ 35w2d via emergency C-section due to Pre-E after 30 hrs of labor & losing her HB twice. She weighed 5lbs 8oz & was 19in long on May 26th 2013 @ 605am

• imageHoolahZinger:

imagemundayem:

Part of me wants to read the second right away...and then I think about how long I have to wait for the third. Meh, who am I kidding? I'm probably going out and getting the second right after my current read and then will re-read both before the third release Wink 

I would like to wait but, I know I can't lol.

Me(26)DH(33)
    DX PCOS w/ AO Nov 2011

• imageBritsyB8:

imageHoolahZinger:
    What about Beatrice's crazy simulation? The first one, right? It was pretty random. I wonder if Roth used some things throughout the simulations from her nightmares because some of them sound like mine. I guess I'm a Daultless because I would go straight for the knife...but wouldn't anyone who is stressed out to take a test, strapped to a table and hooked up to a machine? I know I'd be so freaked out that I would expect the worse and therefore want to protect myself from whatever was about to happen. 

The bolded part here is exactly what I was thinking. I imagine in that situation I would go straight for the knife, too; however, I don't think there is any way that would have had the guts to actually choose Dauntless or would I consider myself dauntless. Although, the more I think about what I would chose, I realize that it would be so hard to chose one faction and conform to a personality type like that. Our (or at least my) personality changes so much depending on the situation and the possible outcomes, etc. Four touched on this, I think, when he talked about each faction having good aspects. I also like that he had tattoos of all the factions.

I think his tattoos kinda signifies that he has qualities from each faction.

Me(26)DH(33)
    DX PCOS w/ AO Nov 2011

• imageBritsyB8:
    imageHoolahZinger:

Okay ladies, opinions on some characters...Christina? Four? Eric? Al? Will? Peter? Molly? Uriah? Tori?

I like Christina. She's feisty. Four is great but I could smell the forced impending romance from a mile away. Kind of anticlimactic to me. Eric is a guy I like to hate. Al was just so pathetic. Poor creature. I didn't see him coming when he attacked Tris though. I know a guy named will so i pictured his face when I read about Will. He was sweet. The thing that bothers me most about Peter, is that they really didn't explain too much as to why he was removed from the simulation. All they say is that they evaluated his records but I just don't see the point. Why would they do that when they could have total mind control over him to do the same job through the simulation? Sigh. Has anyone seen Dodgeball? That creepy Russian chick on the bad team with black braids and a mole on her face? That's my visual for Molly. HA. I like Uriah and Tori. In my mind, Tori kind of reminded me of whats-her-face from the Matrix. 

I agree that the romance with Four was really predictable, and I definitely saw it coming; however, I still really liked that part of the story. Sometimes my sappy side just takes over. As for Christina, I don't know if it was just because of the name, or because she was feisty and a good friend to Tris, but I kept thinking of Christina Yang from Grey's. I really liked the character of Christina and I really liked that friendship. I felt kind of bad for Al,and I also agree that I didn't see the attack coming. That surprised me!!

My sappy side was in full force over those two(Four and Tris).

Me(26)DH(33)
    DX PCOS w/ AO Nov 2011

• imageBritsyB8:

imageminicheezburg:

The second is the simulations in the chair with four. I would not want to have to challenge my fears. Ugh, that seems like too much for me. I think it is hard to control your fears. Even when you know that you have all the control in the world. The mind is a powerful thing. I think it is hard to get over your fears. Something I myself have tried and failed.

This!! I had anxiety thinking about what might come up in my simulation. Even if I was aware it was not real and I was in control, I wouldn't want to face that and think it would still be very hard!

I know it would be very hard for me.

Me(26)DH(33)
    DX PCOS w/ AO Nov 2011

• imageBritsyB8:
    imageminicheezburg:
    imageHoolahZinger:
    Simulation serum? Pretty cool. I love the sense of technological advancement despite a sort of economic collapse and restart to the way mankind functions. That's the only reminder that this is sometime in the future. Everything else is fairly simple: trains, chalkboards, books (not digital), etc. 

I thought it was pretty awesome, and then I thought so they inject a little device to procure these simulations. That is a little scary. Too much control if you ask me.

I thought the simulation serum was just plain scary. I don't like the idea of people having that much control over me at all. It made for a great read, but if I dwell on the idea too long and how it could play out IRL, it scares me!

I agree, it scared me. I don't like anything that has that much control over me.

Me(26)DH(33)
    DX PCOS w/ AO Nov 2011

• Was I the only one that absolutely loved the capture the flag part? I also felt like Tris picking Dauntless after being Abnegation her whole life almost proved she was Dauntless. I also found it really cool that she could control the simulations. From what I gathered when nondivergent are in the simulation it's like they forget they are and just act where she is still conscious of it all being fake and can bend it to her will. Pretty sweet.
    BFP 7/27/10, no hb discovered 9/3/10, natural m/c 9/17/10
    BFP #2- 2/1/11,bleeding- 2/6/11, natural m/c @ 5wks
    BFP #3- 4/29/11 - DS born 12/31/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    TTCAL buddies with LilMaggs and psumel13
  • imagemundayem:
    Was I the only one that absolutely loved the capture the flag part? I also felt like Tris picking Dauntless after being Abnegation her whole life almost proved she was Dauntless. I also found it really cool that she could control the simulations. From what I gathered when nondivergent are in the simulation it's like they forget they are and just act where she is still conscious of it all being fake and can bend it to her will. Pretty sweet.

I really liked the capture the flag part, too. When Tris took charge and climbed the ferris wheel, it really showed how dauntless she really was!!

• imageBritsyB8:

imagemundayem:
    Was I the only one that absolutely loved the capture the flag part? I also felt like Tris picking Dauntless after being Abnegation her whole life almost proved she was Dauntless. I also found it really cool that she could control the simulations. From what I gathered when nondivergent are in the simulation it's like they forget they are and just act where she is still conscious of it all being fake and can bend it to her will. Pretty sweet.

I really liked the capture the flag part, too. When Tris took charge and climbed the ferris wheel, it really showed how dauntless she really was!!

I loved that part especially since it was the first big ground work we see for Tobias and Tris. I thought it was awesome that she could control it. I hate that is kinda took til stage two of the tests and they didn't specify the first time with Tori.

Me(26)DH(33)
    DX PCOS w/ AO Nov 2011

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"