Toddlers: 24 Months+

not wanting to use spoons or forks

I have been one of those ultra anal moms at meal time- mostly feeding my 23 month old daughter with the spoon and fork then wiping off her face so she doesnt get all messy.

She will feed herself finger food and P&J sand, etc but when it comes to anything with a utensil she prefers me to feed her.  And when I dont she cries. 

I am not helping her by doing this am I?  Or do you think eventually she will just want to do it herself again- bc she use to like to eat baby pudding/smoothies and other foods at one point with a spoon. 

Re: not wanting to use spoons or forks

• I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think it's worth the battle.  Eventually they all start to feed themselves right?  If for no other reason that they go to school and mommy isn't around :) If it still works for you to feed her and it's what she wants then I would leave it alone.  

There are plenty of other things that can encourage fine motor skills, coloring, playing with dough, etc. 

• If it makes you feel any better my over 3 yr old boy uses his hands to eat just abotu everything, including soup. At daycare, he uses utensils & if I sit there & force him to at home (by either holding one of his hands & putting the utensil in the other or pulling the plate away every time he reaches for the food w/out a utensil) he uses them just fine as well so I know it is not a matter of not knowing how but more of laziness (or perhaps he can just get a lot more faster w/ his hand which is kind of true). It's on my list of pick your battles things...at this point I do a lot of reminders "use your spoon/fork please" to prod him and maybe I will eventually get on it more but I have bigger fish to fry w/ him right now.

However I will say that if you're actually feeding her & wiping her face between bites you probably are feeding into it and I would just stop feeding her, let her use the fork/spoon or her hands or whatever and start feeding herself again.And don't make a big deal about messes on their face or hands, who cares, really in the grand scheme of things? I have a drawer filled w/ old burp clothes that we use for face wiping after meals & around 2 I had them start going to the sink to 'wash up' after meals (using a stool).  I have always had 2 kids though so I could never have been that on top of cleaning a kid up while they're eating...  GL!

• Loading the player...
  • Assuming she is hitting all other fine motor milestones, I would not be concerned.

Otherwise I'd keep doing what you're doing and wait until she's ready.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, my son does the same thing a lot of the time.  He knows how to use a spoon and fork but has realized that one of us will help him if he wants.  Recently, I've started just telling him he has to do it, that he's a big boy and doesn't need mommy's help.  Sometimes it works, other times not.  I wouldn't worry about it at this point.  She still has lots of time to get it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • happy to report she used a fork today!  it was with her favorite thing- chic filet nuggets but ya know what I dont care- she did it!!!!

thanks for all the words of encouragement

• imageKC_13:

Assuming she is hitting all other fine motor milestones, I would not be concerned.

Otherwise I'd keep doing what you're doing and wait until she's ready.

This - my first reaction is that it's a skill she needs, but as this poster mentions, if she is hitting other fine motor milestones, then it's fine. In fact, I recently read that in India, it is common to someone to feed the child until they are about 4 years old... And obviously afterwards they learn how to use utensils!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"