March 2013 Moms

Advice on carriers

Hey ladies!  I am a 2nd time mom, but with my DD I did not do a lot of baby wearing.  She just didn't seem to tolerate it well.  However, I know with two it is going to be more convenient if I have one when I am out with both kids by myself.  I did have a Chicco carrier that I bought consignment last go around, but I didn't really care for it so I've already consigned that one.  Did anyone have a carrier that they absolutely loved?  Suggestions, pros/cons, would be great.  I need something that is going to be easy to put on and take off by myself.  Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Advice on carriers

• I've had several different ones (basic sling...DH loved it, I didn't care for it; Moby--too big of a learning curve for me; Bjorn--nothing special) and my favorite for the itty-bitty stage is the Baby K'Tan.  It's t-shirt type material like the Moby, but not nearly as complicated to get on.  When they are older, I love my Ergo!  I didn't get mine until DDs were about a year, but I still use it occasionally with my 3.5 year olds.  I also recently got a Beco Butterfly 2 because it's like the Ergo but apparently can be used with younger infants (without such a cumbersome infant insert as the Ergo).  Plus, it was quite a deal on MamaBargains or something similar.  :-) 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• I'm not rich so I have never tried an expensive carrier, but I like my snugli. It's soft, pretty, light weight, has paci holder, adjust easily, easy to take off (I'm by myself all day), and holds up to 40 pounds. I have also tried evenflo - didn't like it and infantino - also didn't really care for it. I would love to try
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not rich so I have never tried an expensive carrier, but I like my snugli. It's soft, pretty, light weight, has paci holder, adjust easily, easy to take off (I'm by myself all day), and holds up to 40 pounds. I have also tried evenflo - didn't like it and infantino - also didn't really care for it. I would love to try a bjorn.
  • imagemommysangels:
    I'm not rich so I have never tried an expensive carrier, but I like my snugli. It's soft, pretty, light weight, has paci holder, adjust easily, easy to take off (I'm by myself all day), and holds up to 40 pounds. I have also tried evenflo - didn't like it and infantino - also didn't really care for it. I would love to try

Yeah, me either!  I was hoping to find something that I could get a good deal on!  I hate to spend a ton of money because this is most likely going to be our last one.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you want to get the most bang for your buck I would suggest an ergo- we LOVE ours and use it regularly. Its a little tougher with a newborn in my experience but it really is comfortable once the baby has a little bit of neck control. The best part about this carrier is that you can front carry, side carry and back carry- it is BY FAR the most comfortable and most supportive carrier out there plus it works great even for bigger kids. I often carry my 2.5 year old around in it and my sister used it this summer while on vacation and carried her 3 year old up and down the beach in it! It's a little pricier but its often marked down on babysteals and like I said, its the best bang for your buck since it lasts for a long time. 

As for other carriers like the bjorn, while they are cheaper they also don't support the baby as well or offer proper hip and spine alignment (I've also heard they aren't very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time). Carriers like the Bjorn and Snugli and some of the less expensive carriers have the babies legs dangling and have the hips out of alignment. My SIL used to use a bjorn until she realized that over extended use her baby's legs actually started turning blue b/c there was such bad blood restriction. Ergo and Beco carriers for example have the baby in more of a sitting position with hips open more and in a better position. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Paxbaby.com is wealth of information on proper babywearing and they can help you pick out a carrier based on your needs and preferences. There's also a huge babywearing swap group on FB where you can get "safe" carriers ie not "crotch danglers" used, and save the difference :
    imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Moby or sleepy wrap for the itty bitty ones and an Ergo for when they're older

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imagewatermellens:
    Moby or sleepy wrap for the itty bitty ones and an Ergo for when they're older

This exactly.

I lent my Ergo to a friend with a baby, but I could still wear DD now comfortably and she's 32 lbs.

The Moby is great when they're little since they can get so close to your chest.   

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I love my moby for newborn carrying, but it just is too hot here for it again. I'm going to use a sling I made then move my beco. I love love love my beco carrier. I have a mei tai, but it just isn't getting used, so I'm selling it.

BFP #1: 9-20-2010 EDD: 5-25-2011 DD #1 born: 5-23-2011
    BFP #2: 6-14-2012 EDD: 2-15-2013 MC: 6-19-2012 5w5d
    BFP #3: 7-18-2012 EDD: 3-26-2012

• imagekeg:
    I've had several different ones (basic sling...DH loved it, I didn't care for it; Moby--too big of a learning curve for me; Bjorn--nothing special) and my favorite for the itty-bitty stage is the Baby K'Tan.  It's t-shirt type material like the Moby, but not nearly as complicated to get on.  When they are older, I love my Ergo!  I didn't get mine until DDs were about a year, but I still use it occasionally with my 3.5 year olds.  I also recently got a Beco Butterfly 2 because it's like the Ergo but apparently can be used with younger infants (without such a cumbersome infant insert as the Ergo).  Plus, it was quite a deal on MamaBargains or something similar.  :-) 

keg - can you use the Beco Butterfly backpack style when the baby gets bigger? A friend of mine has an Ergo that she still uses to carry her toddler when she gets tired. I like the idea of that for when baby gets older, but I'm also kind of wondering if that's even a reasonable goal? Does my friend just have a super strong back, or do lots of people carry older kids in a backpack carrier?

BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • I wore DD a lot before she turned 2.  She wasn't good enough to stay with us when she walked and she's never been a huge fan of the stroller.  The carrier was a great resource!  

It also helped when we built our house last year - we would go visit at the end of most days and I didn't have to worry about her getting hurt with all the dangerous construction things around.

It's all in the carrier, though.  Wearing a 20 lb kid in a Bjorn would be torture.  Wearing a 30 lb kid in an Ergo is nothing. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagekateryna72:

imagekeg:
    I've had several different ones (basic sling...DH loved it, I didn't care for it; Moby--too big of a learning curve for me; Bjorn--nothing special) and my favorite for the itty-bitty stage is the Baby K'Tan.  It's t-shirt type material like the Moby, but not nearly as complicated to get on.  When they are older, I love my Ergo!  I didn't get mine until DDs were about a year, but I still use it occasionally with my 3.5 year olds.  I also recently got a Beco Butterfly 2 because it's like the Ergo but apparently can be used with younger infants (without such a cumbersome infant insert as the Ergo).  Plus, it was quite a deal on MamaBargains or something similar.  :-) 

keg - can you use the Beco Butterfly backpack style when the baby gets bigger? A friend of mine has an Ergo that she still uses to carry her toddler when she gets tired. I like the idea of that for when baby gets older, but I'm also kind of wondering if that's even a reasonable goal? Does my friend just have a super strong back, or do lots of people carry older kids in a backpack carrier?

I back carry my 16 month old in our Beco. Front carry is killer because of weight, but back carry is so comfy.

BFP #1: 9-20-2010 EDD: 5-25-2011 DD #1 born: 5-23-2011
    BFP #2: 6-14-2012 EDD: 2-15-2013 MC: 6-19-2012 5w5d
    BFP #3: 7-18-2012 EDD: 3-26-2012

• kegkeg member
    imagekateryna72:

I'm quite sure you can.  I haven't gotten it out of the box yet but it looks similar to the Ergo.  I still use my Ergo with my 3.5 year olds (28-35ish lbs) and it's quite comfortable.  I'm pretty sure the Butterfly would be similar.    

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• I have a Moby and just got a Beco Butterfly 2... I love it! It is so easy to put on and very adjustable. My DH actually used it!!! It is an investment, but definitely one worth making!
  • I use this guide (a blog by a fellow Bumpie) to look up recommendations and safety for baby carriers.https://www.becomingmamas.com/babywearing/

You want to be careful not to get a "crotch dangler" (which is what a chicco is; Bijorn is another notorious crotch danger). Not only are they not comfortable for you, they also don't support the baby's hips. Baby should have a real seat in the carrier--like they are sitting. Otherwise, it is very uncomfortable for baby and can be really bad for baby's hips.

I know people who love the moby for when baby is little, and the Ergo for when baby gets a bit bigger. A lot of women in the LLL meeting I go to have Baby Hawk Mei Tais and absolutely love them. They said they are easy to use from when baby is very little, and also easier to nurse in and for baby to nap in. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • For the newborn stage, I love my moby. And I cannot tell you enough good things about the Ergo.  Seriously, it's amazing!  Watch Babysteals.  They have them on a couple times a year. 

Married to J since 5/05, Mommy to T (10/08), L (08/10) and C (02/13) who was born at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"