Multiples

Should I be worried about size difference?

I haven't posted on here much, but I am hoping you ladies can help.  I am 22w3d pregnant with fraternal twins.  At my u/s this morning baby A is measuring 15oz and baby B measuring 1.4lbs which is a 22% size difference.  My MFM said not to worry and come back in 3 weeks instead of 4 to do a re-check, but I am really freaking out.  Did anyone else experience this?  Do I have cause to be concerned?  TIA
DX: Anovulation
TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Should I be worried about size difference?

• I think b/c they are fraternal you should not be too concerned. Think about if they were siblings being born at different times, it would be natural for them to grow at different rates, if that makes sense.

I think the key is to monitor that they both grow consistently on their own paths.... which it sounds like your MFM will be doing. For now, don't freak out, which I know is hard.... hang in there!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagesrbmvp:

I think b/c they are fraternal you should not be too concerned. Think about if they were siblings being born at different times, it would be natural for them to grow at different rates, if that makes sense.

I think the key is to monitor that they both grow consistently on their own paths.... which it sounds like your MFM will be doing. For now, don't freak out, which I know is hard.... hang in there!

This. Babies grow at different rates, and it's normal for them to have some discordance.  One might have hit a little growth spurt earlier than the other. :) It sounds like your MFM is on top of things though. Try not to stress too much, mama!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes but mine were mono/di with TTTS.  One reason why he may not be too very worried is if they are both a good size for their gestational age.  Do you know each of their percentiles?  If they both grow at a good rate and stay above the IUGR range (10th percentile and below) it's probably not as big a deal since they are di/di but should be monitored for changes.
  • My girls are fraternal and at 25 weeks, they found a 25% size difference.  Baby A had a normal sized head, but the rest of her was a couple weeks behind Twin B.  Over the period of about 2 months, they slowly became more similar in size.  I think there was a 9% difference by the time I delivered at 33 weeks.  I was freaking out too, but try not to.  Just go back for your checks and take your cues from the MFM...if she or she is not concerned, try not to be too concerned.
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Thanks ladies!  Fingers crossed they are just different sizes by chance and nothing is wrong!
    DX: Anovulation
    TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
    IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

• imagesrbmvp:

I think b/c they are fraternal you should not be too concerned. Think about if they were siblings being born at different times, it would be natural for them to grow at different rates, if that makes sense.

This. My mono-di boys were 1.75 lbs and 2.1lbs at 26 weeks which made me a little nervous, but they told me not to stress. At 30 weeks they had flip-flopped (A was 3lbs 3ozs and B was 3lbs 7ozs). Don't stress! They'll keep an eye on them and I bet they'll be just fine in 3 weeks. The di-di element helps you tremendously, as TTTS isn't a concern, and it's probably too early for fetal growth restriction due to space. Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lost our first little peanut on 1/17/2012 at 9 weeks and 5 days. We miss you little blessing, but we know you were too perfect for this world.
    My multiples/parenting/pregnancy/miscarriage blog
  • I just wanted to chime in with our experience.

We we told at our 36 week checkup that Twin A was 6 lbs and Twin B had not grown in 2 weeks, staying at 4.5 lbs. We were scheduled for an induction at 36w5d and when the babies were born, Twin A did in fact weigh 6 lbs but Twin B came out weighing 6.5 lbs. We were shocked that there was such a discrepancy in sizes during the ultrasound, so much as a 2 lb difference.

Don't let ultrasound measurements freak you out. As others had said, there is no danger of TTTS either, so I'm sure everything is just fine. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"