Multiples
Options

Just for fun...

Let's go back to that day when you learned you were having two or more! 1. Be HONEST... What was the first thing that went through your mind? 2. How far along were you and who did you tell first, aside from SO? Anything else you want to share about that day?

We learned at the 20 week ultrasound and the first thing I thought was "this changes things!" I cried A LOT that first day because I planned on one baby for the first half of my pregnancy. I had to leave for a business trip the following day and that was hard because H and I really didn't get to be alone for long to "process". I had a nervous eye twitch the whole next day. By the end of the second day I couldn't imagine having any less than two and I felt so blessed!

Re: Just for fun...

• Options
    Honestly, I cried. We (me and DH) found out at our RE's office when I was 5w3d. It was clear right away...he really didn't even have to tell us. In there, I said barely anything, but when we got outside and into our car, I couldn't hold back the tears. In that moment, they weren't happy tears. I felt so totally overwhelmed. Our DS (at that time) was only 14 months old and DH had convinced me that we shouldn't wait too long between babies since it took 18 months the first time around. So I got on board, but I truly was NOT expecting 2 babies. Sure, I knew it was a possibility, but having had only one baby the first time and seeing several friends go through IVF with two embroyos transferred only to result in one baby, I just convinced myself that twins wouldn't happen to us. Obviously, I was wrong. For the entire first day, I didn't want to tell anyone. I needed time to process the thought. DH was all excited and begging for me to tell my mom (we usually tell her, then my dad, then his parents when we have news). By the next day though, I processed the thought and felt much better about it! Still overwhelmed for sure, but better. Now, at nearly 31 weeks, I can't picture anything BUT having 3 kids :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I told DH and my BFF before my first appointment hat I just *knew* it was twins.

The first appointment was around 6 weeks, when I went back for u/s I just started laughing and the tech asked why. I told her I knew there were two and she was floored saying no one had ever "known" before. When two little blobs popped up on screen I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

DH had stayed home with DD1 so I sent him the u/s image with two blobs saying hey dad. He called and just couldn't believe it. Funny thing was 2 others couples in the waiting room and just received the same news so a few women were on edge thinking it must be "twin day". It was a fun time sitting there beaming holding the images and making that call.

My parents called asking how it went and I told them both babies looked good, they thought I was joking and asked who's u/s images I had stolen!

I was excited and had already accepted twins before the first appointment, so it was more confirmation. DH was a bit scared and concerned since we had originally planned on 2 kids,but he quickly became warm to the idea. Now here we are a week into it and loving it! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was 7w2d....the ultrasound tech said "there are two babies in there!" and my first words were "are you serious??" I was definitely in shock the first day but that quickly turned to excitement and a feeling of being overwhelmed with how blessed we are! My DH was there and could not stop crying all day (he had come to the ultrasound during his lunch break but when he went back to work his boss, a woman,sent him back home lol). He called his mom first, and she thought we were joking....why would we joke about something like that?? lol
  • Options
    Honestly, it was the worst day of my life. I couldn't figure out what I could have done to deserve such a terrible thing to happen to me. Obviously, it was totally unexpected. I kept waiting for the excited feelings to come and they didn't until they were born and I held them for the first time. Within minutes, I couldn't imagine having only one of them and now I think this several times a day. I was almost 11w when we found out, we still have the picture up on our fridge and I look at it and still remember that moment when everything changed and our life suddenly became something I never expected.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We found out at our RE's office around 5w6d I think. The first words out of my mouth were, "I knew it." I know betas mean nothing, but my first beta was 900 and with DS it was 120. I knew there was more than one in there from the beginning, so the u/s was a confirmation. DH was with me and he was excited. I was pretty freaked out to be right and all I could think about was vanishing twin syndrome because one baby was measuring quite a bit smaller than the other. After we left the office we called my mom who was watching DS. She was very excited. I was in shock the rest of the day. I never expected 3 kids. That was more of a pill to swallow than the idea of twins.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We had a dating ultrasound scheduled for what turned out to be 9w1d. The night before I was a wreck, and DH asked me why I wasn't excited to see the baby. I replied, "well what if something is wrong with it, or what if it's twins???" I guess on some level I already knew.

So fast forward to the u/s and I'm chatting with the tech about how sick and miserable I've been. She finally pulls up a good image on the screen and says, "well here's why you've been so much sicker." In that moment I knew, and either in my head or out loud started saying, "oh no no no no no." As she went on to say, "here's one baby, and here's another!" I honestly started crying and it wasn't tears of joy.... can you tell I didn't want twins????

Meanwhile DH is standing at my feet laughing hysterically with glee. Thank goodness one of us was on board from the getgo, hahaha. I took the rest of the day off work b/c I just couldn't think straight, I was a wreck. All those terrible thoughts were running through my head, how are we going to afford this, how are we going to manage, this isn't fair to the babies or to us... I went home and threw myself a pity party.

Needless to say the idea grew on me, and eventually I came to realize what an absolute double blessing had been bestowed upon us. And now, as I look at my 2 little munchkins, I know that this is exactly what God intended for our family, and I can't imagine life without them, or my oldest son.... I am blessed! (just took me a while to realize it).

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I was really excited. We did IVF so we knew it was a possibility. When I first found out I was pregnant, I had a feeling it was twins, but then I had barely any symptoms and started to worry. I was hoping for even just one baby when we went in for that first ultrasound at 7 weeks. I was so happy and surprised to find out it was twins after all. I think DH was more shocked than I was...LOL.

We told my parents we were pregnant (and that it was twins) at 11 weeks. We waited until 12 weeks to tell DH's family, and then we started spreading the news to close friends after the anatomy scan at 19 weeks. 

Twins November 2012!

• Options
    I was 10w5d at my first u/s.  The first thing I thought was "we are going to have to get a new car and buy two of everything!".  I called my mom and sister first who happened to be with each other at the time.  My mom had been joked with me about it being twins because I was getting big so fast.  I googling like crazy the second I got home and not sleeping very well that night.  As it started to sink in I went through many different emotions: excitement, happiness,anger, fear, disbelief, etc.  I remember the night before we brought them home from their 10 weeks in the NICU, I was still in some disbelief that I actually had twins.  I kept thinking, "I can't believe that I really have twins, it doesn't seem real".  Reality hit as soon as they came home though!
  • Options
    We found out at 6w1d, during an u/s to check on spotting.  I think at first we were mostly shocked that the two embryos we transferred implanted since we were so worried that IVF wouldn't work.  After that, we were happy, but scared (two!  holy crap!).  The first people I told were my parents because I was no longer able to go on a family cruise in December.  Honestly, I wouldn't have told them if it wasn't for that trip.  They drive me crazy and said horrible things after our m/c.  I then told my sister and my BFFs.  They were screaming and so happy for us.  I was still so worried that something would happen to one or both that I didn't really let myself get really excited until after my RE released me to my OB at 9 weeks.  
    imageimage
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    My first thought was, "I knew it!". We were 7 weeks along at the time. We didn't have any fertility treatments or anything so I had no real reason to suspect it I suppose it was just a feeling I had. My husband and I laughed hysterically for the rest of the day. I think that was our way of coping as we were initially there to have what we believed to be a miscarriage confirmed. To go from what we thought was zero babies to two was quite the shock! The first person I told was one of my sisters. She had been the only person I told, other than my husband, that I had suspected I had miscarried. She called me after the appointment to see how I was doing and I was actually at the library looking at books on twins at the moment. She asked what I was doing and I casually replied, "Looking at books on twins". There was a pause and then I heard her burst into tears when she got what I was talking about. It was pretty fantastic.
  • Options
    1. "James is gonna kill me.". Not that it was my "fault" and DH was standing right there but I knew he was going to have a cow. He almost passed out and said "its ok I'm a paramedic" to the u/s tech. I looked at him and said "what good is that going to do if you pass out?" Lol.
    2. We told everyone. We had planned to announce our pregnancy on FB that day so after we updated all of our family DH posted the u/s pic on FB and said "we were going to annouce a little lastname is coming in 6 months but I guess its going to be little lastnameS".
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I had always wished for twins - it runs in both our families and we both hoped for it.  We suspected it might be more than one when we went in for our 1st u/s at 5w4d, and we learned we were right, it was a very happy moment for us.  If you weren't expecting that news I can see it taking a little while to settle in. 
  • Options

1. "Oh my word, there's TWO. There's TWO?! Oh my gosh, there's TWO." I was really in shock. I honestly didn't want multiples--the idea scared me--so while a tiny part of me was excited, I just felt really shocked and overwhelmed at first. Took some time to absorb the idea.

2. I was 11w5d. DH was with me. We went to the car and called our brothers. (My brother was the last in my family to find out I was pregnancy so I made sure he was the first to find out about our second child. ;) ) I told people gradually after that. I remember my brother being very quiet and then saying, "Well, I *think* you're serious ..."

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

Found out my 5wk appt. All the doctor said, was well that explains your high betas. Uhh.. I knew two follicles had been there, one was bigger than the other but didn't really think they would both take! I smiled but all I could think about was vanishing twin. I called dh and said that the doc Thought there were two. He thinks there are two? Yes he Thinks there are two. Ohh! There are two! Lol.

I sent the u/s to my bff and mom. My bff squealed via text and then sent another text asking "wait, there are two?!" then another squeal. My mom called and asked what she was looking at. she never saw an u/s that early or in a picture on a phone not to mention twins.

• Options

1. We went in for a dating u/s at 7w5d. Right when the tech put the wand on my belly, DH and I both saw that there were two sacs. Neither of us said anything until she told us, "Here's a baby with a good heartbeat. Aaaaaaand, here's another baby with a good heartbeat!" I just kept repeating, "oh my goodness," and all DH could get out was, "at least we got the big car." I think we were both in shock (our twins are spontaneous) for a good two weeks, and then we couldn't imagine NOT having twins. They're two weeks old now and I still can't believe how blessed we are.

2. We told DH's parents right away (they already knew we were expecting), and we waited to tell my parents until 13w when I could tell them in person. 

BFP #1 10/27/2009 ~ DS1 ~ BIRTHday 7/16/2010 ~ med-free Bradley birth @ 40w5d
    BFP #2 1/22/2012 ~ DS2 & DD ~ BIRTHday 9/13/2012 ~ unplanned C-section @ 38w1d
    BFP #3 5/4/2015 ~ EDD 1/7/2016
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

We transferred 2 embryos from my IVF and I had high betas based on the #dpo, so I just had a feeling both stuck (I kept warning my DH, well there may be two in there!).  And this was after IVF#1 where we transferred 4 (!) embryos and ended up with 1 blighted ovum. 

I was 6w0d at my appt last week, the u/s tech put the wand in and said "There's one gestational sac...and there's the other one".  Then she zoomed in closer and could see both heartbeats!  I was crying tears of joy.  I was so scared I was going to end up with another blighted ovum.  My next thought was "How am I going to fit 2 babies in my body?!"  I am 4'11" and 105 lbs.

Besides DH, we only told a couple of close friends who knew I was going through IVF.  We are waiting till after our CVS to tell our parents and other friends, then probably sometime in 2nd tri to announce on FB.

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• Options

First pregnancy in 2009, we had been trying for years and finally got pregnant with triplets. I was scared and excited, until we lost one at 12 weeks and the others at 23 weeks

This pregnancy, scared out of my mind.. waiting for the next shoe to drop. Happy to have the chance to be pregnant, but scared of the same outcome.

• Options

I went in at 6w4d for an u/s.  I went by myself since we had done this 2x before and I told the hubby that this appt was long so he should stay home with ds.  I was shocked and I sent him a picture and he couldn't believe it (he actually said, "is that photoshoppped?)!  After having a 2nd trimester loss it took me a long time to really wrap my head around it all.  The pregnancy alone was a huge shock so I just sat there and said "oh my gosh" over and over again.  I think my nurse was more excited than I was since she had been with me through my loss and through my wacky cycles and progesterone blood draws in the months that followed.

I don't think I really believed it all until they were born and came home after 3 weeks in the NICU.  It was all so surreal!  Now I can't imagine it any other way!

• Options

1. We found out at 8 weeks after I mentioned at my 7 week appointment that I was already wearing maternity pants....and not for fun.  The first thing that went through my mind came out of my mouth "Shut the fu** up!!!!"  Yep total class.  Then I turned to my husband and said "I TOLD YOU WE WERE HAVING TWINS!"  2. I called my mom before we even got out to the car, then I called my dad and my best friend. We went to Qdoba and ate and were just in shock.  :)  We found out I was pregnant a year ago tomorrow, and on Oct 25th of last year so it's going to be so wierd for that to come around again this year.  So much has changed!  

This was a great idea for a post! :)  I love reading about everyone else's experiences!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

We went through IVF and transferred 2.  Our first IVF with 2 transferred failed, so we were just hoping for one to stick.  Right away on u/s we could see the two sacs.  DH was thrilled with idea of twins after everything we'd been through to get there, but I was much more hesitant about it.  Happy but wary, if that makes sense.

So then the tech starts looking for heartbeats, found one- relief!  Found two- relief!  DH and I were smiling at each other when she says "And look- there's a third one hiding up here in the corner.  One embryo split" like it was NO BIG DEAL.  I think I started saying "what? no. oh my God.  No no no. Oh my God" or something like it and DH just got very quiet.  He grabbed my hand and I started trembling and kind of nervous laugh-crying.  The room started spinning a bit over my head and I seriously think I would have passed out if I weren't horizontal already.  The tech was very nonchalant and kept telling me I had to hold still and in my head I'm thinking "Are you effing kidding me?  You just told me I'm having triplets, give me an effing minute to breathe!"

We had to wait a bit for the doc and I used that time to go get sick in the bathroom.  We just sat there looking at the images and wondering wtf we were going to do.  After our meeting with the RE, we went in the parking lot and I totally lost my shiit.  I cried it out, then I headed home and somehow DH went to work.  I called my mom and sister who both freaked out a bit with me.  DH ended up home a few hours later and we spent the afternoon, evening, and pretty much all night in a state of complete shock. 

Being totally honest, it took me a while to come to terms with 3. I was horrifically sick, which I'm sure was complicated my emotional state, and which made my emotional state worse.  I took a few weeks off work and met with a few MFMs, and gradually started feeling better.  After one u/s, DH and I were eating lunch, and I just burst into tears and said "Those are our babies in there!" and that was the real turning point for me.  I realized I was relieved when everyone looked good on u/s and that I wanted these babies- our babies.  We still have our moments of panic, but for the most part are really happy and excited to be having our whole little family in just a few more months!

Me: 31 DH: 30
    Dx DOR (AMH .49), Stage 3/4 Endo, Septate Uterus
    After 2 years, numerous tests, abdonimal surgery, and 2 IVF cycles, we are so grateful to be expecting.
    Transferred 2 "perfect" 8-cell embies 6/12. Beta 1 6/25: 472! Beta 2 6/27: 1055!
    First u/s shows TRIPLETS! WHAT?!?! Both embies stuck and one split. OMG

Levi, Henry, and Amelia were born healthy at 34w3d.
  • Options

Honestly I went for an ultrasound thinking I was having a miscarriage.  The tech said so are we here to find out it's twins?  I replied no that would be the worst thing to find out.  I am actually here to find out if I am miscarrying.  I was only 8 weeks so I told him I was okay if it was a miscarriage I was prepared for that news and I wouldn't be upset as I had been bleeding for  4 days already and figured that was it. So the tech put the camera thing on my belly and sure enough there they were.  He looked at me in horror and back to the screen.  He did that a couple of times and then said it is twins.........I polietly told him where to go and he said no really its twins and I said I know what I'm looking at my sister had them just over a year ago.  Then I said My husband is going to kill me........( don;t ever say that in the hospital) then he said why would he kill you, and I replied well he won;t really kill me but it took me 8 months to convience him of having a second baby but I have to convience him today of the third.  That night I went home and balled my eyes out trying to tell him and he is thinking we miscarried and he was like its okay it means the bay wasn't healthy etc.  and I pushed him away and said thats not it at all, and his reply was.............as long as it's not twins!!!!  HA HA HA So I said but it is.  He kept hugging me.  We worried about it to oursleves for about 7 weeks. Let's just say it was pretty quiet in our house for that time.  He was mad, worried about everything etc.  We didn't tell anyone for about 8 weeks then we told parents and work people.  Things are a lot better know it is what it is.  I have been purchasing diapers and formula like mad so I don't have to worry about that added cost while not working.  I am excited for them to arrive but I am not ready quite yet. I look forward to having my body back even though it will only get worse from here on in.  I look forward to holding them and snuggling with them.  I worry about my DS losing out as it has always been about him.  But he is excited for them to arrive too........he thinks he is having babies too from his own tummy.  In good time they will show up and life will be different, hopefully they will be as good as DS was.

Congratulations to all of you.

Robin 

Toodaloos Robin
  • Options
    imageBandEddie:

I went for a 7w ultrasound because of previous losses. My sister went with me because DH had JUST started a new job, and couldn't really take any time off from work (I still swear it was all the celebrating over the new dream gig that got us into this wonderful mess :P ). I spent all morning saying "Please God, just let me see a heartbeat." After two losses, this was our last tango because it had been such an emotional strain for both of us. 

Well, we DID see a heartbeat! I remember looking at the screen and thinking "Something looks odd." But never in my wildest dreams did I consider more than one, so I couldn't figure it out .The very calm, collected tech named Jerelyn - I'll never forget THAT name! - said "There's heartbeat #1..." and I said "Oh thank God!... wait, what??" My sister clamped onto my hand and Jerelyn said, "And there's heartbeat #2." My sis and I started laughing - I had been so sick she teased me that it was twins, but still! C'mon...

Then Jerelyn went to check ovaries, etc. and stopped for a second. "And I have some more news for you" she said, still very calm! Of course I panicked, thinking something was wrong. "Here's another little sac over here with ANOTHER heartbeat." That's when I lost it a little, although I only realized it later. I started laughing out loud, then started bawling and shaking as I was laughing. My sister (I love that woman) said "Turn it off, they're attracted to the light!!" Which of course made me laugh more than cry. I remember looking at her and repeating "What are we going to do?? What are we going to do?!" THEN the panic set in. What if I lose them? I remember calming myself down and saying, "I just want them all to make it." I think I really was in shock and babbling, since Jerelyn didn't want me to sit up right away. I remember looking around the room for some clue I was having a very vivid dream - alas, nope. No juggling elephants or strange classmates in the room. I kept saying, "Honestly I'm *fine*. I just need to put on pants!" I was SO not fine haha.

So after a bit they let me get dressed and sit in the lobby while we waited "for a quick call from the doctor" which I realize now was them evaluating me because I had driven my own car and they were afraid I wasn't okay to drive (probably smart). We didn't realize it until later, but the nurse was never more than 5 feet away from me, talking to someone else in the office, but probably just there to catch me in case I tipped over in delayed shock :)

I had to call DH from the car to tell him, since he was waiting on a call. Thankfully, he was out at lunch with a friend, so he had someone to talk to (and make sure he got back to the office okay!) The poor guy, finding out by phone! But I couldn't wait until dinner time to tell him, when he was waiting for news.

They finally let me go home, and I soaked in the tub. I kept staring at the shampoo bottle and muttering "I'm having three babies...." My sister called me to check up, and I think we said "Holy crap triplets?!" about 100 times. DH got home around 7 and honestly we just stared at each other - pretty much that whole week actually. By week two we were a little better, and now we've got 18 days until we meet our beautiful babies, and I can't imagine things any other way!

Holy crap Congratulations Your story made me cry!  Best of luck in the near future!

Robin 

Toodaloos Robin
  • Options
    This was IVF round #1 for us and we transferred 2 embryos. I took a HPT 5 days before my beta was scheduled and it came up positive. I called the office and begged them to move my beta up and they let me but warned me that it would probably be a low beta. She said she was expecting to see a beta of 15-30 but mine came back at 102. Then my next one 4 days later was almost 700! I had a feeling there was two but I didn't say anything to DH because the thought of twins freaks him out. He really only wanted two children to begin with but RE said our chances were so low that we transferred 2. As my u/s, DH and I both left work for a short time to go to the office and the doc starts the u/s and says, "oh, this is interesting. How do you feel about twins?" I burst into tears instantly and DH just looked shocked. I really don't know if it was happy or scared tears but quickly turned to happiness from both me and DH! We left the office and stood in the hall just staring at these two little gummy bears on the u/s picture smiling. It is still sinking in, sometimes I freak out and other times I am just so excited.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"