April 2013 Moms
Options

Baby/pet gate

Anyone have any suggestions for a good, tall baby gate? I have a big dog, who is very loving and excitable, and I worry about the dog accidentaly jumping on the baby when I leave the room so I am looking for a gate, which a swing open door, that is tall enough that the dog can't jump over but easy for me to go from room to room.

Any STMs or pet owners that have models that have worked well for you?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Baby/pet gate

• Options
    Check out petsmarts. I have a normal "cheapy" baby gate for the dogs (a pit bull & pomeranian) and they've never tried to jump it for ANY reason. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have the Regalo Extra Tall gate. It has been great! Our dog weighs about 55lbs and has knocked down or jumped over many other gates, but not this one. Plus, the gate is less than 40 dollars. I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001OC5UNA

ETA: It is a walk through gate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just have a regular Evenflo plastic one to let the cat have somewhere to escape from the dog. We have a coonhound that is very capable of jumping over the gate, but he doesn't! He can jump onto the couch from behind it, as in up and over the backrest, but avoids the gate. If you think your dog will jump a regular size gate, I would definitely check out a pet store. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageNandaB:
    I got one at petsmart that is metal [we had to get that instead of plastic because it was near our woodstove] and has a walkthrough gate. It it one of those convertable cage things but we just bought brackets to screw it into the wall. They do make taller 'baby' gates that you can walk through. I've seen them in that wacky catalouge that has all the safety and developmental toys...anyone??

One Step Ahead.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Cheapest place to buy baby/pet gates is at farm and fleet type stores.  You can usually get the same brands for much, much cheaper.
    The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Options

I am registering for this one.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3618750&fromRegistryNumber=48799647&product_skn=282042

Our house is an open floor plan with the stairs in the middle dividing the living room and kitchen/ dining room. Because of this there are no doors dividing rooms so we will need like 4 gates! 

Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • Options

We have two large dogs(Over 60 lbs) and use this one...

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3312385

They haven't ever tried to jump it and DS has stayed safe and sound. 

• Options

This is not a flame, just a comment.  I love my dog (a golden retriever), but I would never have left him alone in the same room with the baby without another person in the room.  (If she was in the swing and he was snoozing on the floor, that was different).  He's a great dog around people, but does get excitable and protective of the house/us if another dog walks past outside and barks.  I was SO impressed and amazed at how gentle he's been with her since day 1, but you never know when baby might pull fur or shake a toy that gets the dog too excited or angry.  It only takes a moment for something to happen.

• Options

We have two different types of gates.  Two are Graco baby gates and two are a metal folding gate (not sure the brand but I know you can get similar ones at PetSmart and SkyMall.  The dogs don't bother the metal ones whatsoever because they don't like the metal sound it makes if it falls over or you bump too hard into it.  Our lap won't jump the Graco gates, but our pit bull will if she wants whatever is on the other side of the gate.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"