Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

11 mo still has lazy eye/sometimes cross eyed

DS has had what we call a "lazy eye" since he was born, and since we've read that of course it takes time for the eyes to align for newborns, we waited it out.  It was still present at 6 months, was very noticeable in photos and DC was remarking that DS was putting books really close to his face, and going cross eyed while looking at his bottle while holding it, etc. We noticed it at home too so I talked to the pedi about it.  He also has always rubbed his eyes excessively, which can be normal for kids when they're tired or hungry but he did it with such force sometimes that we were worried that it was allergies or that he could hurt himself while doing that.  The pedi recommended a consult with an opthalmologist which I did last month.  

(I was pretty dissatisfied with that doctor--he came out into the waiting room, hardly even introduced himself but said, "okay we're getting some drops!" and put dialating drops in his eyes which of course made LO scream but he calmed down afterwards.  I said, "Oh, you're dialating his eyes?"  He said, "Absolutely!"  I have plenty of experience with getting my eyes dialated and I know what it feels like and I thought this was odd since LO was only 10 months and there's no way you're going to get him to sit still so you can look in his eyes, but what the heck, he's the doctor.  20 minutes later we were brought into the exam room, and the entire exam literally took no more than 2-3 minutes, he couldn't even see inside LO's dialated eyes because the baby was writhing and crying when he tried to look in, so the dilation ended up being pointless. He said he "didn't see anything wrong" with DS's eyes and told me to "be happy that he was a healthy baby", which of course I am!  But I felt that he rushed us in and out and did not take quality time to examine DS or answer questions to my satisfaction--when I asked if it was normal for his eyes to go crossed like that when he looks at something he said, "Oh sure, we all do it, see if I held up something close I would go cross-eyed" and then he purposely went cross eyed.  Very weird explanation.  I said oh...well, okay thank you...and walked out a little dazed.  While of course I DO want there to be nothing wrong with his eyes, I got the feeling that this doctor was thinking that I was just an overly concerned parent who was wasting his time, and he didn't even take a minute to address my concerns.) 

So, I'm taking him for a 2nd opinion today. If that doctor says there's "nothing wrong" then I will just have to be satisfied with that answer and we'll just keep an eye on it (pardon the pun.) as he gets older, and follow up in a year or so.  I was wondering if there is anyone else out there with a LO simliar age with this kind of problem? 

P.S. I should also add that I have had a subtle lazy eye my whole life (just shows up in photos sometimes or when I'm tired or drunk ha ha), and have terrible vision and have had glasses since I was 9 years old.  I have also had 3 surgeries for a retinal condition so yes, I may be overprotective about his sight but unfortunately he has a hereditary factors and I want to make sure there is nothing that should be done to catch any potential problem early, like having him wear a patch or something like that. 

(Same birthday, 2 years apart!)

Re: 11 mo still has lazy eye/sometimes cross eyed

• Options
    Could be Strabismus?  I had that when I was a kid (starting at age 3) and had to wear glasses.  My friend's daughter has it and I think hers started showing up when she was still a baby.  They ended up doing surgery to correct instead of glasses. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Did you go to a pediatric ophthamologist?  We took D2 to one last month for the same reason.  We saw one dr, kind of a pre-exam and she pretty much just looked at D2's eyes, had her look far away and close up.  Then she dialated both eyes, which we knew would happen, they were very descriptive on their website on how the initial appt would run.  After about 20 minutes, we went back to see the dr we had the appt with and he looked at her eyes, the same way the other dr had but he also looked at her retinas and took a whole bunch of pictures.

He showed us the photos, the reflection of the light in her pupils.  It looks like her eyes are aligned but he said the initial dr thought the right was slightly off.  So we have to go back in a month for another check - you can have intermittent lazy eye. 

He also said to come back earlier if we think they are off again but to make sure we are looking at her straight on because the bridge of her nose is still really wide.

I would suggest taking a picture of her with a flash, looking straight at the camera.  See if it looks straight to you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD1 had a bit of a "drifting" eye. We noticed it when she was a few months old, and I asked about it at her well child visits a few times. It typically only happened when she was very tired, and at her 2yr check up our pedi said we'll watch it until she's 3, and if it's not gone then we'll head to an opthamologist. She's 2.5 now, and we haven't noticed it in a while. We'll keep a close eye out for it until her 3yr check up just in case, but it seems to be gone. And since DH and I both wear glasses/contacts, she'll be getting yearly eye exams starting soon anyway, so I'm not too worried that we'll miss something at this point.

Anyway, the point of my rambling :) Yes, DD1 had something similar, and she seems to have outgrown it now. I understand your concerns, but if the second opinion isn't worried, I wouldn't be, either. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We took DD to a pediatric opthmologist at 8 months because we noticed an eye drift of her left eye. My DH is actually in optometry school and wore glasses as a young toddler. Our opthmologist did really well and thankfully looked at DD before dilation, which made looking at her eyes while dilated eyes a lot easier. Dilation is necessary or the appointment would be useless. DD'S left eye was weaker than her right but was within a high normal range, so we will be seeing her again when DD is 12 months to see if the left has strengthened. We also showed her a picture of DD where one eye seemed to turn in. She explained that is what it appeared to be but by looking at the light reflection in her eye you could see they were aligned. Also, your opthmologist is correct that the eyes do cross naturally when an object is held in a close range. If you still feel that something is wrong or that the appointment was conducted wrong then I would get a second opinion.

• Options

I agree that you need a second opinion, preferrably with a pediatric opthamologist.  I personally had a "lazy" eye as a child and began going to the opthamologist regularly at 19 months old.  At my last checkup, I was telling the doc about my baby and he was asking if I'd noticed any of the signs you mentioned you had seen in your baby.  Fortunately, I hadn't but the doctor still warned us to be on the lookout for such things given my eye problems. 

My opthamologist mentioned that typically as long as any major issues are found by age 7, there shouldn't be any permanent damage to the eyes.  So try to put your mind at ease somewhat that even if you can't "catch" whatever is going on right away, you should be able to manage it with regular follow-ups. 

I have strict policies about doctors, dentists, opthamologists, etc.  If I'm going to take my time and expense to utilize their services, I expect to have all the time that I need with the doctor and to have the opportunity to ask as many questions as I feel necessary.  I'm a professional engineer and if I don't take time to answer my customer's questions they don't come back.  I see why relationships with medical professionals should be any different.  You are the customer and can take your money (and insurance as the case may be) elsewhere. 

• Options
    I would definitely go some where else. If you don't have insurance, or can't afford it, I would contact the lions club. The lions club did testing at DDs day care and we were referred to a pediatric opthamalogist. She had a lazy eye and wore glasses for a year which improved her eye muscle or grew out of it. No longer wearing glasses.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks all!!  I did take him to a 2nd opinion last week and was SO glad I did, wish I had gone to this doctor originally and saved myself the time and money on the first one.   What a different experience!  He is a pediatric opthalmologist (I think the first doctor sees kids, but doesn't specialize in them.  This 2nd one did) and his office was obviously geared towards kids only and is inside All Children's Hospital here in St. Pete FL. He did a much more thorough exam and took the time to answer my question and even went into detail on his explanations.  In the end, he agreed that LO does "look" cross eyed but that all of his tests check out (he was even successful with the dialation and seeing in to evaluate LO's retinas), and that he believes he has psuedostrabismus.  Basically he appears to be cross eyed but his eyes are equally spaced apart, he doesn't cross eyes when prompted to, and it's more based on the skin flaps in the inside of the eye corners, and the facial structure.  His refraction test came out good, just slightly farsighted which the doctor said is very common for that age.  All checked out and he said to just monitor it and if I ever feel it's getting worse I can bring him back in.  So I breathed a huge sigh of relief that day and know where to bring him back if I ever have more questions!

(Same birthday, 2 years apart!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"