December 2012 Moms

several questions for STM+

I just went through everything we were given for clothes and I think I'm short on sleepers.  I assumed (being born in Nov/Dec) that she should wear long sleeved/footed onsies to sleep in?  True?How many would you suggest having?   Do you use things like the 'miracle blanket' or 'swaddle me' over the long sleeved/footed sleepers?  I'm in Texas - and that seems like a lot of fabric... but I'm just not sure.   How long did your LO wear "newborn" size?   I have read that I should wash all her clothes in preparation of her arrival.  Did you wash just the newborn stuff?  Or just the 0-3?  Or both?   Also, do you have a sound machine/white noise machine?  Do you feel like this is one of those items that would be good to have?Cool mis humidifiers - do you only use those when they're snotty and sick?  I've read newborns can get pretty stuffy... so is this something we should look into now - or wait? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: several questions for STM+

• I just went through everything we were given for clothes and I think I'm short on sleepers. I assumed being born in Nov/Dec that she should wear long sleeved/footed onsies to sleep in? True?

My son was born in April and was in footed sleepers the majority of the time. It'll be the same this time around. Socks are a PITA.

How many would you suggest having?

I ended up with a whole crapload, but I'd say a dozen would suffice.

Do you use things like the 'miracle blanket' or 'swaddle me' over the long sleeved/footed sleepers? I'm in Texas and that seems like a lot of fabric... but I'm just not sure.

I didn't with DS, I registered for sleep sacks this time though, because it'll be much colder.

How long did your LO wear "newborn" size?

He was 10lbs, so very few newborn outfits actually fit him. And even then, only for maybe a week.

I have read that I should wash all her clothes in preparation of her arrival. Did you wash just the newborn stuff? Or just the 03? Or both?

I washed both.

Also, do you have a sound machine/white noise machine? Do you feel like this is one of those items that would be good to have?

I did not, it depends on the baby. DS could sleep through the house getting knocked down.

Cool mis humidifiers do you only use those when they're snotty and sick? I've read newborns can get pretty stuffy... so is this something we should look into now or wait?

I found my old humidifier to be a lifesaver when DS got sick. It wouldn't hurt to register for one or keep an eye out for deals.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• First off - awesome questions - and I was totally curious about these before having DD.
    Here are my two cents worth:
      **I just went through everything we were given for clothes and I think I'm short on sleepers.  I assumed (being born in Nov/Dec) that she should wear long sleeved/footed onsies to sleep in?  True?  How many would you suggest having?**

DD was born in the late summer (Aug 22nd) in Canada and we still had her in some  long sleeved/footed sleepers.  We budgeted on 1 per day plus a few extra.  So what if some of her sleepers got the odd dribble on here and there....I knew I was going to do at least one load of laundry a week, so I didn't over-stock.  I actually went out and bout two - once we got in to a routine (I'd rather have to buy more, than waste money and have some that aren't worn).  But it all depends on the temperature of your house - I think the best temperature is around 24-25 Celcius (sorry, don't know Fahrenheit), not too hot and not too cold.

**Do you use things like the 'miracle blanket' or 'swaddle me' over the long sleeved/footed sleepers?  I'm in Texas - and that seems like a lot of fabric... but I'm just not sure. **
    Loved our swaddle blankets - they were a life-saver and we would wrap her in one and in a sleeper too.  Newborns need to be dressed in one more layer than what you're wearing, so gauge it on that.

**How long did your LO wear "newborn" size?**
    Every baby is different - DD was about 2 weeks.  It all depends on how big the 'bum' is when they come out (meaning how much they weigh).

**I have read that I should wash all her clothes in preparation of her arrival.  Did you wash just the newborn stuff?  Or just the 0-3?  Or both?**
    I only washed the newborn stuff, then when she was going to go in to the 0-3, then I washed that.  No point in washing more than you have to when you don't have to.

**Also, do you have a sound machine/white noise machine?  Do you feel like this is one of those items that would be good to have?**
    We started off with white noise from a non-existent radio station, and when that radio died, we swapped over to a sound machine.  The whole point is that it helps to mimic the sounds they heard in utero and also helps mask sounds around the house (so you don't have to tip-toe).  DD is now 2+ and we still use white noise for her.  It's a god-send, but it also doesn't have to be super-loud too - just use your judgement.  If it's too loud for you in a quiet room, it's probably too loud for baby.

**Cool mis humidifiers - do you only use those when they're snotty and sick?  I've read newborns can get pretty stuffy... so is this something we should look into now - or wait?**
    Personally, I'd wish we'd had ours from the get-go, but we didn't use it all the time.  We really only used it in conjunction with nasal saline drops when she was super-stuffy, sick.  Instead of having to rush out and buy one when we needed it, I wish that we could have saved that hour or so and just had it ready to go when needed.
    Hope this helps - good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I just went through everything we were given for clothes and I think I'm short on sleepers.  I assumed (being born in Nov/Dec) that she should wear long sleeved/footed onsies to sleep in?  True?How many would you suggest having?   -I agree with about 12, although you could definitely do with fewer.  In the end you are doing laundry all the time- baby's clothes, your clothes, receiving blankets, burp cloths, sheets, changing pads, etc. i would make sure to have a lot of onesies, since those often take the brunt of the mess! yes, you want long sleeves with feet. Do you use things like the 'miracle blanket' or 'swaddle me' over the long sleeved/footed sleepers?  I'm in Texas - and that seems like a lot of fabric... but I'm just not sure.   - my boys hated being swaddled so we had a ton of swaddle blankets we had washed and never got used.  they were born march 26 and we had an early spring, we were swaddling them over onesies. i think with this baby, if she likes to be swaddled, i will probably use a cotton onesie, cotton pj, and cotton or fleece swaddle or sleep sack.How long did your LO wear "newborn" size?   -my guys were 5lbs 9 oz and 4lbs 7 oz at birth, so for a long time. most babies grow out of them quickly, though. this time around i am not buying much in newborn size. I have read that I should wash all her clothes in preparation of her arrival.  Did you wash just the newborn stuff?  Or just the 0-3?  Or both?   -i agree with wash as you go along- there was stuff my boys never even got to use, and i couldn't return because it had already been washed. Also, do you have a sound machine/white noise machine?  Do you feel like this is one of those items that would be good to have?-we did use white noise in the beginning and often still do- in the summer it just the window a/c and in the winter is a cool mist humidifier Cool mis humidifiers - do you only use those when they're snotty and sick?  I've read newborns can get pretty stuffy... so is this something we should look into now - or wait? - i would register for one if i were you. they are helpful in cold & flu season. 
  • imagebabymama1212:
    I just went through everything we were given for clothes and I think I'm short on sleepers.  I assumed (being born in Nov/Dec) that she should wear long sleeved/footed onsies to sleep in?  True? here's my $0.02. :) My DD1 was born in Jan, and she wore long sleeved footed sleepers.  socks were a PITA because she would kick them off, and have cold feet.  She basically lived in these for the first month or two, as it was easier for us.  She did have a few cute outfits for special occasions, or when we brought her around people, but just chilling at home she wore these. How many would you suggest having?    I liked to have 2/day for spitups, or to change her into a new one after bathtime & bedtime.  I planned on doing laundry once a week, so i'd say a dozen would do you. Less if you plan on doing laundry more often. Do you use things like the 'miracle blanket' or 'swaddle me' over the long sleeved/footed sleepers?  I'm in Texas - and that seems like a lot of fabric... but I'm just not sure.    we definately swaddled DD1 when she was a newborn.  She wouldn't sleep otherwise!  I did make sure the swaddled blankets were lighter, since she was already bundled up.  and they doubled as nursing covers later on too. How long did your LO wear "newborn" size?    My DD1 was 9lbs 6oz at birth, so she never fit into newborn size, she wore 0-3 right from the hospital. (and she only wore those for 2 months before she was in 3-6 already) I have read that I should wash all her clothes in preparation of her arrival.  Did you wash just the newborn stuff?  Or just the 0-3?  Or both?    I was pretty sure she would be a big baby, so I didn't take the tags off any newborn items. I only washed 0-3 items.  This time it looks like DD2 is going to be a little bit smaller than DD1, and most likely fit into newborn at least for a second. :)  I'm just planning on re-washing all our 0-3 hand me downs from DD1, and any "newborn" items I wasn't able to return the first time. (lol i'm sure they still have the tags on them!)  if we end up needing more "newborn" clothes, I'll just make a run to the store. After baby gets here you will have 12345678 things to wash already. it's nice to have some stuff washed, put away and ready for her. (I'm not planning on washing anything until 37weeks personally) Also, do you have a sound machine/white noise machine?  Do you feel like this is one of those items that would be good to have? we didn't have a "white noise" machine per say, but we did buy the "Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Soothe & Glow Seahorse" She loved listening to it while she fell asleep.  At nearly 2yrs old, my DD still enjoys this toy. lol we just might have to buy DD2 her own!Cool mis humidifiers - do you only use those when they're snotty and sick?  I've read newborns can get pretty stuffy... so is this something we should look into now - or wait?   if it's a PITA for you to get to the store, I'd go ahead and buy one now. that said we didn't have one until LO got her first cold at about 4 months old.  We did have a snot sucker, but she wasn't really congested and needing a humidifier right from the hospital.  of course every baby is different, if it's going to worry you go ahead and get one to have on hand.
  • imagebabymama1212:

I just went through everything we were given for clothes and I think I'm short on sleepers.  I assumed (being born in Nov/Dec) that she should wear long sleeved/footed onsies to sleep in?  True?

Depends on how warm you keep your house. We have an older house with poor insulation so DS wore warm jammies through the winter. I only swaddled him in the beginning with just a receiving blanket. I also layered, a onesie with sleeves and socks under pj's. But I'm in Michigan where it can often be below freezing at night.  

How often do you do laundry? They are messy little things. I hope to have 8. 

Do you use things like the 'miracle blanket' or 'swaddle me' over the long sleeved/footed sleepers?  I'm in Texas - and that seems like a lot of fabric... but I'm just not sure.   

about a month. He was 8lbs 8oz and 21 inches at birth.

I have read that I should wash all her clothes in preparation of her arrival.  Did you wash just the newborn stuff?  Or just the 0-3?  Or both?   

I honestly don't remember.

Also, do you have a sound machine/white noise machine?  Do you feel like this is one of those items that would be good to have?

I think they are great! Helped DS tremendously.

Cool mist humidifiers - do you only use those when they're snotty and sick?  I've read newborns can get pretty stuffy... so is this something we should look into now - or wait?

I'd have one on hand.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Great questions!

First off, we didn't buy any NB clothes. I found it a waste. He just went in 0-3. This time I will probably only get one NB outfit and that will be his Xmas outfit because he'll probably be a few days old and it's a 1x outfit. That's just the frugal gal in me speaking.

Sounds machines are great but see if you can test them because some of the songs can be annoying or they self shut off after X minutes (which is my only issue with the sleep sheep). We eventually resorted jut to having an old Ipod in an Ihome machine.

Sleepers are a must in the infant stage. DS lived in them. I would probably have 5-8 on hand but we do laundry pretty often. I would also recomend the swaddle mes or Aden and Anais swaddle blankets! The latter esp are really light so if it went on to pof a sleeper that would be okay! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I just went through everything we were given for clothes and I think I'm short on sleepers.  I assumed (being born in Nov/Dec) that she should wear long sleeved/footed onsies to sleep in?  True?  

TRUE!!  My DS lived in sleepers until the weather got warmer (he was a February baby).  So much easier than a real outfit!

We had about 6 newborn ones before he was born.  Then people gave us some after he was born (we were Team Green, so people were excited to finally buy boy things!).So I would probably say at least 6 - they have blowouts, spit up, etc, and you can easily go through 3 or 4 in a day.  But I wouldn't buy too many newborn ones - you may end up with a big baby, then not use them!

Do you use things like the 'miracle blanket' or 'swaddle me' over the long sleeved/footed sleepers?  I'm in Texas - and that seems like a lot of fabric... but I'm just not sure.  

We used the cotton ones under the miracle blanket, but we lived in a drafty old apartment in Boston.   When the weather started getting warmer, we used just a onesie under the swaddle.

DS was in it for about 4-6 weeks, and DD was the same.  My sister's kids were in newborn size for roughly 2 weeks.  And I have a friend who had a >9lb baby and never used the newborn size.  You just never know!

I have read that I should wash all her clothes in preparation of her arrival.  Did you wash just the newborn stuff?  Or just the 0-3?  Or both?  

I would wash some of both.  Don't wash all the newborn stuff in case you have a big baby - then you could potentially return it (or just save it for a future child, I guess).

Also, do you have a sound machine/white noise machine?  Do you feel like this is one of those items that would be good to have?  

We ended up buying one for DS when he was a few months old.  He needed white noise to calm down - when he was all worked up, we would run the water in the bathroom or turn on the dryer.  Finally we downloaded white noise to our ipods and would play that overnight.  When he moved to his own room, he got a sound machine, and still uses it.  

DD got one just because she shared a room with DS.  If she had been our first child, we probably wouldn't have ended up using one - she was a fabulous sleeper, calm baby from the beginning.  After sharing a room (and sound machine) with DS for a year, we are afraid to take it away!

Cool mist humidifiers - do you only use those when they're snotty and sick?  I've read newborns can get pretty stuffy... so is this something we should look into now - or wait?  We never really used one. 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebabymama1212:

I just went through everything we were given for clothes and I think I'm short on sleepers.  I assumed (being born in Nov/Dec) that she should wear long sleeved/footed onsies to sleep in?  True?

My kids wore these not only to bed but during the day as well for the first few months. I'd have at least 10. 

I used them with both of my kids. I put the miracle blanket over a cotton footed pj even during the summer for my son. If it was really hot I'd put it over just a onsie. 

About one month. 

Definitely the 0-3. Have a few nb things washed and the rest ready to be washed as soon as you get home. 

Yes! 

Cool mis humidifiers - do you only use those when they're snotty and sick?  I've read newborns can get pretty stuffy... so is this something we should look into now - or wait?

We used one with dd but not so much with ds 

m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Bumping from my phone so I can't see original questions but I had two babies in Texas. Yes they live in footed sleepers for like the first 3 months. They sleep all the time so it makes sense. I guess I had about 89 of any given size. Yes swaddled them in the muslin Aden and Anias swaddle blankets on top of the footed sleeper. Babies have a had time regulating their temperature at first. It's not too much fabric. I didn't have them wear a hat though after about a week.
    Mine wore newborn for about 2 weeks. I'd wash the 03 as well since it would be nice to have it ready. If you ran out of newborn sleepers, you could put a 03 on and that would be fine.
    Yes I consider a white noise machine a total necessity. It was the only thing that calmed DS1 down when it was a jet airplane volume. They both still use white noise machines. It helps everyone not wake each other.
  • Agree with PPs about having around 12 sleepers around.

DS wore newborn sizes for about 5 weeks (he was 7 lb. 6 oz.).

We used swaddles all.the.time and DS was born in August. He wore mostly gowns to sleep in and then the swaddleme blanket over top. We keep our house on the cool side, and being too hot wasn't an issue.

This time around I have been washing clothing and putting it away that we have purchased second hand (garage sales, etc.) or been given. I won't wash and de-tag the rest until she is born and we know what we won't need to return, with the exception of her take-home/x-mas outfit.

We had/have a FP seahorse, which DS loves to this day and ended up purchasing a travel sleep sheep for white noise. (The sheep plays longer, but not all night.)

We rarely used our humidifier (it is currently in storage). For runny noses, we used saline drops and the baby comfy nose/nosefrida aspirator. It works WAY better than the traditional nasal bulb aspirators.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebabymama1212:
    I just went through everything we were given for clothes and I think I'm short on sleepers.  I assumed (being born in Nov/Dec) that she should wear long sleeved/footed onsies to sleep in?  True? Yes but also gowns are great in the beginning because there legs are often still curled up and it makes diaper changes easier. We usually did a onesie underneath as well. and they make zipper ones that are thicker fleece material and cotton ones.  
    How many would you suggest having?  At least 7
    Do you use things like the 'miracle blanket' or 'swaddle me' over the long sleeved/footed sleepers?  I'm in Texas - and that seems like a lot of fabric... but I'm just not sure.   I didn't swaddle after the hospital. DS wasn't a big fan.
    How long did your LO wear "newborn" size?  DS was 6lbs 9oz and wore nb for a month-6weeks.
    I have read that I should wash all her clothes in preparation of her arrival.  Did you wash just the newborn stuff?  Or just the 0-3?  Or both?   I washed up to 6mos.
    Also, do you have a sound machine/white noise machine?  Do you feel like this is one of those items that would be good to have? Yes they are awesome! We have one from Target and love it! Still use it every night.
    Cool mist humidifiers - do you only use those when they're snotty and sick?  I've read newborns can get pretty stuffy... so is this something we should look into now - or wait? I didn't start using ours till DS was a bit older maybe 6-9mos. We bought it when he got his first cold and was congested.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• I'll start by saying that I always have too many clothes for my kids.  BUT, with little babies they may spit up a lot so sometimes you need lots of extras since you're changing their clothes multiple times a day.

We're in Wisconsin, so the winters are cold.  We use mainly long sleeved, footed pj's and yes, we also use Swaddle Me.  I love the Swaddle Me and you can get them in either fuzzy, fleece versions or also lighter weight, cotton material.  I have easily 15 pair of pj's and probably 4 Swaddle Me blankets.

My babies were all over 8 pounds a birth, but then they lose a little weight, so the new born size lasted maybe for a month or so.

With my first I washed everything but honestly, with my second and third I didn't ever really get around to it and it never mattered.  If I were going to, I would wash all the little stuff - so newborn, 0-3 and heck, probably even the 3 month stuff as well.

With each of our kids we have gotten a Fisher Price muscial aquarium and hung that in their cribs.  They are wonderful and we even used them later on to help them transition from the crib to their own beds and each of my kids still has one in their beds.  At a certain age they are able to hit the button and turn the music on themselves and I've found that really helps them be able to fall back asleep. 

I've never used a humidifier.  I would highly suggest investing in a good bulb aspirator though for when they are super snotty.  I plan on trying to get a few extra from the hospital as though are the best ones I've found and work better than anyone I've ever bought.  I've heard good things about the NoseFrida as well.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

•  
    imagebabymama1212:
    I just went through everything we were given for clothes and I think I'm short on sleepers.  I assumed (being born in Nov/Dec) that she should wear long sleeved/footed onsies to sleep in?  True? True.  Socks will nto stay on their feet How many would you suggest having?   At least a dozen unless you plan on doing laundry every day. Do you use things like the 'miracle blanket' or 'swaddle me' over the long sleeved/footed sleepers?  I'm in Texas - and that seems like a lot of fabric... but I'm just not sure.    DD hated those, but yes, they are meant to go over.  And baby will be fine in a temperature controlled house. How long did your LO wear "newborn" size?   My peanut was in NB for a while- two months. I have read that I should wash all her clothes in preparation of her arrival.  Did you wash just the newborn stuff?  Or just the 0-3?  Or both?   I washed whatever I had.  This time, I have just washed the NB stuff so far. Also, do you have a sound machine/white noise machine?  Do you feel like this is one of those items that would be good to have? YES.  We live on a fairly busy street, so the white noise covers car doors closing, car alarms, etc.   Not mention DH yelling at the T.V.  Now it goes wherever we do.Cool mis humidifiers - do you only use those when they're snotty and sick?  I've read newborns can get pretty stuffy... so is this something we should look into now - or wait? We live ina  really humind area, so we only use a humidifier when DD is sick.  But I would reccommend looking into it now.  I had to send DH out a wild goose chase at nine o'clock at night on a Sunday for one.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebabymama1212:
    I just went through everything we were given for clothes and I think I'm short on sleepers.  I assumed (being born in Nov/Dec) that she should wear long sleeved/footed onsies to sleep in?  True?  My DS slept in sleepers for most of the first year of his life, and he was born in August. How many would you suggest having?  We had a lot, because especially in the beginning, I even kept him in those on most days.   Do you use things like the 'miracle blanket' or 'swaddle me' over the long sleeved/footed sleepers?  I'm in Texas - and that seems like a lot of fabric... but I'm just not sure.   I swore by the miracle blanket, because DS was a big boy, and broke out of the SwaddleMe's.  I live in New England, and we have central air, so heat and cold was never a problem for us as far as sleeping goes. How long did your LO wear "newborn" size?   Never.  He was 9lb2oz on arrival.  0-3's were a little big for a couple of weeks, but then they were fine. I have read that I should wash all her clothes in preparation of her arrival.  Did you wash just the newborn stuff?  Or just the 0-3?  Or both?  I didn't have any newborn stuff, but I did and always do wash all clothing before it is worn.  Personally, I wouldn't buy or wash a TON of newborn stuff because you don't know how big the baby will be.  You can always buy/wash more later if you need to. Also, do you have a sound machine/white noise machine?  Do you feel like this is one of those items that would be good to have?  I do have a white noise machine, because I have two dogs and didn't want them constantly waking him up, and some of my friends are very loud as well. I love the Homedics SoundSpa Lullaby.  I have the regular SoundSpa, but I might be buying the Lullaby I love it so much.  It wasn't available in my area at the time.Cool mis humidifiers - do you only use those when they're snotty and sick?  I've read newborns can get pretty stuffy... so is this something we should look into now - or wait? I have only ever used ours when he was sick, but it can't hurt to have it on hand in case you find it useful in the beginning, too.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"