October 2012 Moms
Options

Time for the dumbest FTM question yet...

Sorry, please deal with my stupidity tonight!

But... what causes effacement? I know they say things like pineapple, sperm, etc. cause it, but when it happens naturally on it's own, what causes it?

Contractions?

Like I said, sorry for the stupidity! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Time for the dumbest FTM question yet...

• Options
    Not a dumb question!  I'm sitting here waiting for the answer as well!
  • Options

oh good ? i want to know as well....

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Uhhh all I know is that it's just what your body does. It's like your body just knows what to do. I can't really find what actually causes it except it just happens.
  • Options
    so its basically just your cervix getting softer to prepare for labor? How can that really be measured. Its half as soft as is was? That seems so subjective.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's when your cervix gets thinner and ripens.
  • Options
    This is the only thing I've found... "As the baby's head drops down into the pelvis,it pushes against the cervix and causes the cervix to relax and thin out, or efface."
    I don't think it is a dumb question either... That is why none of us know. :)
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 2/10/2012!
    Due Date: 10/15/2012!
    Baby Boy Born 10/11/12! (Not on purpose) :)
  • Options
    Effacement is very subjective. The first 2knuckles of your finger would represent "thick" or 0 effaced. 1 knuckle would be 50 and so on. Most nurses use thick, 50, 75, then 80,90 and 100 for measuring. You don't hear a lot of 25 or 40, etc...
  • Options
    And prostaglandin release helps Effacement. That is why sperm helps some as does membrane stripping. It releases prostaglandins.
  • Options

If you're asking what causes labour to start, they don't actually know yet - some research says that it comes from a hormone from the baby being ready - which sets off the labour hormones in the mom. Other research says that it comes from the mom's body releasing the hormones, which then sets the baby's hormones off. 

• Options

I don't think Contractions causes it.. I haven't had any contractions yet :( but I'm 60% effaced. However when they told me that this picture kind of helped me understand a bit where I am at..

"During the first stage of labor, the cervix opens (dilates) and thins out (effaces) to allow the baby to move into the birth canal. In figures A and B, the cervix is tightly closed. In figure C, the cervix is 60 percent effaced and 1 to 2 cm dilated. In figure D, the cervix is 90 percent effaced and 4 to 5 cm dilated. The cervix must be 100 percent effaced and 10 centimeters dilated before a vaginal delivery."

BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I actually thought contractions (or BH) are what caused it, could be wrong though. I know they are what cause dialation.

• Options
    imagerachelmichelle1:

Gnomes. 

:P 

Or magic. 

I have no idea. But if it's gnomes, bring 'em on any time LO is ready! 

I want me some gnomes too! 

• Options

Thanks for all the replies Ladies!! 

I'm REALLY glad to hear I wasn't the only one who didn't know! I just assumed it was common knowledge!  

So, from some of the answers, I'm assuming it's hormonal then?

Once again, thanks a ton! 

• Options
    imagequeenie521:
    imagerachelmichelle1:

Gnomes. 

:P 

Or magic. 

I have no idea. But if it's gnomes, bring 'em on any time LO is ready! 

I want me some gnomes too! 

I am going to buy a labor gnome at lunch today.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"