Parenting

How do you deal with feeling inadequate over everything you should be doing?

I am sure this is compounded by pregnancy hormones, but does anyone feel like everyone has it figured out except for you?   Lately I just feel like life is this giant to do list, even stuff that should be fun like sex with DH, going to the park with my son, and even gym time (normally my stress release time).  I have been sitting here on the couch for over an hour surfing the bump trying to get up the gumption to finish the laundry.  I have done next to nothing to get ready for this baby, my parents keep asking when I will come up to visit, and I still have to complete one more continuing education activity for my work, I feel like I am hardly getting the day to day done.  I am constantly moving from one thing to the next, but it all seems like work. Anyone else feel like they are never quite doing enough as a wife, mother professional, and most of all for yourself.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: How do you deal with feeling inadequate over everything you should be doing?

• Yes I do, especially today when my kid's were acting like they were upset at me all day. I go to school full time and I am preparing to take my nursing entrance exam this week. So I have been out of the house almost all last week and my kids definitely noticed. I struggle with trying to balance being a good student with being a wife and mother. It's hard and most days I feel like I am not doing enough.

But then I try to cut myself some slack, which is what you should do. We don't have super powers, we can't possibly do everything. And the laundry will still be there tomorrow!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • All the time. I haven't figured out how to fix it but if you do let me know! I felt this way even when not pregnant and I'm sure it will get worse with another LO. But I just keep going doing what little I can because I don't really have a choice. GL to you and hang in there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh. The good thing about being shallow and self centered is that I dont care to pay enough attention to what others are doing, so it doesn't make me feel inadequate. Plus, video games vs really thinking about whether or not I am a good mother. Video games win, hands down.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• i mean, to an extent. i try to prioritize so that the most important things are meeting my standards, but let the rest kind of go on the back burner. as long as i do that, i don't feel inadequate - it's the best i can do.

i'm accepting the fact that i can't do everything for now and paying people to handle some of it (painting, remodeling, take out lol) while i get through this busy period in my life.. preparing to sell, buy and move, beginning my master's degree, working part time+, being an involved and attentive parent. crazy! as long as the important things are covered, i'm not going to let myself feel inadequate.

• Every single day.  And I haven`t figured out how to cope with that feeling yet.  Honestly, most days I feel like I barely make it through with my head above water.  You are not alone in feeling like this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You have a toddler and you're pregnant. Expect less of yourself. You're basically in survival mode right now, so save the bigger expectations of yourself for when the kids are a bit older. Be good to yourself.
    Nadia Irene 8/13/07 Reid Owen 8/18/09
  • Thanks. I needed to hear that there isn't some big secret out there to doing it all that I am missing :-).    

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't know about any big secret, becasue I surely haven't been let in on it yet. Give yourself a break and prioritize. Make sure that you end up on the priority list.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm really blessed to have an amazing group of girlfriends that are fabulous moms, but assure me that there is no one that really "has it together". I think a lot of moms look around and think "Wow, soandso really has it together! I wish I could be like that" when "soandso" is looking at you thinking the same thing.

Bottom line, cut yourself some slack. No one has it all together.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Every.Single.Freaking.Day. I"m right there with you sister!
  • Constantly. I worked until DD was 18 months old and always felt over-stressed, over-stretched, and like my house and life were a mess.

I started SAH back in June and thought I'd be super mom. Crafts, projects, long walks to the park, etc.

Instead, DD now watched Mickey every day while I drink my coffee and cruise the internet, and I often wonder if she was better off at daycare. I keep thinking that her life will suck when baby 2 arrives and I'm even less attentive. I taught elementary school, for heaven's sake! Shouldn't I be one of those play at home super moms? Guess not!

• I don't know if this feeling ever goes away!  I give myself a free pass when I start feeling like this, just say ok right now I am not where I want to be and its tough but its fine to take a break.  Usually once I give myself a free pass I stop feeling guilty and like I am failing, and strangely this gives me energy back to start taking care of business.  There is so much to do all the time, its so easy to burn out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"