Parenting

pet insurance - pre existing conditions help!

My dog has addison's disease and the monthly injection is about $200. -- Just about a car payment :( Does anyone know of insurance or prescription plan that would help with this. most look like they don't cover pre existing conditions. I would really just want something to help with the medicine.

Re: pet insurance - pre existing conditions help!

• I don't think you'll be able to find a pet insurance that will cover pre-existing conditions.  A good website to compare the plans is petinsurancereview.com

Have you talked to your vet about learning to do the injections yourself?  I work at a vets office and we have taught a few clients to do the injections to help save money.  They can buy the entire bottle of medication from us at a discounted rate (we also had a client find it online, though we matched the price).   

• we already give the injections ourselves. We buy a 4 ml and give 3 ml each month so every 3 month we can use what we have. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Pet insurance is a huge rip off.  My friend used to work for one of the big name pet insurance companies and she told me to never even consider it.  Their policies do not cover pre-existing conditions, breed specific conditions (ex Rotties are "prone" to hip problems, so even if your rotti got hit by a car and damamged his hip, it might not be covered because there might have been undiagnosed hip issues before the accident. Skeezy, huh?) 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKissimi21:

Pet insurance is a huge rip off.  My friend used to work for one of the big name pet insurance companies and she told me to never even consider it.  Their policies do not cover pre-existing conditions, breed specific conditions (ex Rotties are "prone" to hip problems, so even if your rotti got hit by a car and damamged his hip, it might not be covered because there might have been undiagnosed hip issues before the accident. Skeezy, huh?) 

This is not true. My husband and I own a vet practice, and you would be surprised what insurance companies will pay for. Each one is different.   

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't think any will cover pre existing conditions, sorry. We had insurance for our dogs for about 4 years then gave up on it, the monthly payment over that time was more than we ever got to claim for them. Like, they wouldn't cover stitches on his paw when he ripped it open on a nail. So, forget it, we'll save the money instead and put it into doggie emergency fund.

Sorry for the rant...
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Growing up my dog had addison's, too.  We were able to keep it under control by feeding her a strict diet and oral meds - do you think that would be an option?  I bet it would be much cheaper.  Also, pp's point about giving the injections yoruself it a good idea.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"