2nd Trimester

18 weeks and no bump

I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow, and I still don't have a baby bump and I can't feel any baby movement or flutters. We've heard the heartbeat at each appointment and even saw it on a sono 3 weeks ago,. I'm gaining weight (exactly where I don't want it...butt, hips, thighs) and still have nausea, but there's still no resemblance of a baby bump. :(

It's my first pregnancy, so I wasn't expecting to show very early. But I thought I would at least look pregnant by now...not just chunky! I'm not really concerned, just anxious and wondering if this is common.

Any other first-timers not showing at this stage yet?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 18 weeks and no bump

• Most women don't have an actual bump until later because the uterus is still fairly small at 18 weeks. I wasn't really showing then either, in something really tight my friends would have noticed but strangers would have just thought my stomach area was "soft." It's normal, a lot of FTMs don't pop until after 20 weeks.
  • I'm not really. I can feel where my uterus is and am thicker in the middle but still feel I just look fat.

This may be tmi but
    I went to the bathroom this am and dh said my stomach disappeared after going.

I can still fit in most of my regular clothes. I wore maternity jeans yesterday and they were falling off me, my regular jeans are too tight for comfort but before I was pregnant they were getting tight
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Loading the player...
  • With my first i didn't actually "pop" until almost 6 months. I just got thicker around the middle.  Even my own mother told me I just looked like I was putting weight on.  Then one morning I woke up and BAM I had a bump.  Every body is different.  Don't worry.  Soon enough you'll look down at your stomach and wonder if you'll ever see your feet again. :)
  • Most FTMs don't show until around 20 weeks. If you have a longer torso, that can affect how early you show too because there's more room for your uterus to spread out. 18 weeks is also still normal to not feel baby move.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • With my first, I couldn't even see my own bump in a mirror until about 22 weeks. I don't think it was apparent to the outside world until about 28 weeks. This time I'm showing earlier and think I have recently crossed the line from "hm. she's been gaining weight" to "I think she's pregnant again." But even then, it's my 2nd pregnancy (that made it this far) and I'm already 20 weeks.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I didn't start feeling flutters/kicks (and know for sure thats what it was) until about 20 weeks. I didn't start showing until 22-23. Hang in there. 

• Congrates, you're body isn't gassy! lol "bumps" usually don't show until you're further along. Have you become more active before this pregnancy? Some pregnant women (who are/were active) before becoming pregnant, won't show right away.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • PS gaining weight is good, the rule of thumb is to gain (I think 2 lbs each week) Just keep eating healthy so your body can put the food you eat into good use. With my first pregnancy, I did not feel my baby until I was about 35 weeks, aka about a couple weeks before delivery when he was almost the size of a pumpkin.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I wasn't really showing or feeling much movement at 18 weeks, it is completely normal.  I started looking obviously pregnant most of the time around 23 weeks. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• I really didn't start showing until week 23. Felt kicks at 20
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagealix&aj:

I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow, and I still don't have a baby bump and I can't feel any baby movement or flutters. We've heard the heartbeat at each appointment and even saw it on a sono 3 weeks ago,. I'm gaining weight (exactly where I don't want it...butt, hips, thighs) and still have nausea, but there's still no resemblance of a baby bump. :(

It's my first pregnancy, so I wasn't expecting to show very early. But I thought I would at least look pregnant by now...not just chunky! I'm not really concerned, just anxious and wondering if this is common.

Any other first-timers not showing at this stage yet?

Hi!
    I was feeling the same way at 18wks...however I think that is when I felt the first flutter, but only lying flat on my back and only once or twice. Then suddenly in the middle of week 19 it was like BOOM hello belly! Suddenly in I swear a matter of a few days I went from just looking like a gained a few pounds to being obviously pregnant. Now I am 20w2d and have an obvious defined bump. I am quite tall and have a long torso though, so depending on body type people show at different stages!
    Also...it's just been in the past few days that I feel movement on a regular basis :) Try not to worry you'll have a big ol' bump in no time! :)  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was awkwardly-pregnant up until a week or so ago. I just looked kinda chunky through the middle (and everywhere else...). I started to wear maternity jeans around week 20, because I didn't want to buy regular jeans in a bigger size. I purposefully did that to motivate myself to lose the baby weight after the tiny one arrives. Now, at 23 weeks, I've finally "popped." It's nice when people start to recognize it at first. Of course, I am a first-timer, so I'm excited about people noticing. :)

I wouldn't worry about not feeling movement yet. It will be strong here in the next four weeks or so. I was having doubts myself so I bought a mini doppler on Amazon, so I could tune in to "Baby Radio" whenever I wanted. It was only $30, so it was well worth it to me.

Hope you feel better soon!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Same here, no bump. I feel bloated and some of my jeans feel a bit snug but otherwise I look the same. I can feel the uterus if I lay down and press on my stomach but that's about it. If it weren't for the u/s hearing the heartbeat at the OB, I wouldn't say I even really feel pregnant yet. I'm sure it will catch up with us soon enough though :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With my first I didn't really show a noticeable bump until I was almost 7mths along. This 2nd time it came MUCH MUCH sooner. Probably more like 3mths. ;)

Its normal your first time around to not show until later.

• With my first, I didn't really show until 25 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wasn't showing at 18 weeks with DS.  I was showing at 12 weeks with #2.  Give it time!  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, right there with ya.  19 weeks, finally felt something.  Finally started getting a little bump at 20.  I'm 30 weeks now, and people are just now starting to comment that I finally have a bump...
  • I had no bump (as in still buttoning my skinny jeans) or signs of movement at 18 weeks either. I'm now 22 weeks and have a noticeable bump and have been feeling kicks all morning. You'll get there!
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"