September 2012 Moms

Totally judging...

but when people post pictures bottle-feeding their babies while their babies are laying down... how do you not fear them choking? and from what I have read... babies can get ear infections from this too.

People share your judgy-ness so I don't feel as bad. ha ha.

Liam Dean | 09.11.12 | 6lbs 13oz

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Totally judging...

• Is that different from breast feeding my baby while laying down? Because she is horizontal every time she eats.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Good point. I honestly don't know the difference between the two. I have never heard anything about that, however my pedi was really adamant about not bottle feeding while laying down.

• Loading the player...
  • I'd imagine the difference is that milk flows out of a bottle faster and with less suction than a breast.    I feed DS with a bottle horizontally, but his head is always propped up by my arm and he is always on a slight incline. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageFlamingemu:
    Is that different from breast feeding my baby while laying down? Because she is horizontal every time she eats.

I don't really know the difference, but DS2 is on his side while bf'ing not on his back. I have always heard to not lay them flat with a bottle or put them to bed with a bottle once they are old enough to hold it. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• They get more air with a bottle, yeah it's different.

I judge constant bottle propers. Is that the right spelling? I know you have to do it sometimes, but people who do it because they are lazy really annoy me.
  • I wasn't being snarky - totally just asking. I have done virtually no research on proper feeding for bottles because I was hoping to EBF.

I football hold often so DD is nearly flat. I prop her head up slightly, but not much. She doesn't seem to have any issues at this point. {knocks on wood} 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • imageFlamingemu:
    I wasn't being snarky totally just asking. I have done virtually no research on proper feeding for bottles because I was hoping to EBF.I football hold often so DD is nearly flat. I prop her head up slightly, but not much. She doesn't seem to have any issues at this point. knocks on woodnbsp;
    I can't get the hang of the football hold. I'm kind of jealous.
  • imageLILBIT1221:
    imageFlamingemu:
    I wasn't being snarky totally just asking. I have done virtually no research on proper feeding for bottles because I was hoping to EBF.I football hold often so DD is nearly flat. I prop her head up slightly, but not much. She doesn't seem to have any issues at this point. knocks on woodnbsp;

i can only do football...kinda awkward...hopefully i'll be able to change soon. 

op...i know the LC told me if i were to bottle feed then she would need to be at an incline with the bottle horizontal because the baby cannot control the flow of milk like they can with the breast.  not sure if it is choking related.  

• I have to bottle prop a lot but neither of the boys are ever laying flat when it's done. And I still stop them to burp. It happens to Jason more than Braidon due to the fact I have to burp Braidon about every half ounce to slow down his spitting up. 

But the difference is a bottle will keep leaking into their mouth with out sucking and can cause ear infections. Also the air if they suck on a empty bottle all the air can cause gas issues and ear infections.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetma1685:
    I have to bottle prop a lot but neither of the boys are ever laying flat when it's done. And I still stop them to burp. It happens to Jason more than Braidon due to the fact I have to burp Braidon about every half ounce to slow down his spitting up.nbsp;But the difference is a bottle will keep leaking into their mouth with out sucking and can cause ear infections. Also the air if they suck on a empty bottle all the air can cause gas issues and ear infections. nbsp;
    yeah, but you have twins, that's a different story. I'm talking about moms in the mall, pushing a stroller, talking on the phone,drinking Starbucks, but can't take a minute feed their baby. They aren't even paying attention most of the time. Like I said, I know sometimes you have to, but that is not one of those times.
  • imageLILBIT1221:
    They get more air with a bottle, yeah it's different.

I judge constant bottle propers. Is that the right spelling? I know you have to do it sometimes, but people who do it because they are lazy really annoy me.

agreed. god forbid your baby or babies choke and you cant get to them fast enough and they are incapable of moving it. it really bothers me

• imageLILBIT1221:
    imagetma1685:
    I have to bottle prop a lot but neither of the boys are ever laying flat when it's done. And I still stop them to burp. It happens to Jason more than Braidon due to the fact I have to burp Braidon about every half ounce to slow down his spitting up.nbsp;But the difference is a bottle will keep leaking into their mouth with out sucking and can cause ear infections. Also the air if they suck on a empty bottle all the air can cause gas issues and ear infections. nbsp;
    yeah, but you have twins, that's a different story. I'm talking about moms in the mall, pushing a stroller, talking on the phone,drinking Starbucks, but can't take a minute feed their baby. They aren't even paying attention most of the time. Like I said, I know sometimes you have to, but that is not one of those times.

this. at least you're sitting there with them, or so I'd hope.

• imageLILBIT1221:
    They get more air with a bottle, yeah it's different.

Agreed! Every once in awhile while getting ready or in a hurry is fine. But I feel bad for the baby when it's constant... almost like no one has time for them. Poor things!

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• imageLILBIT1221:
    imageFlamingemu:
    I never was able to master the football hold with DD and even had the help of a LLLL. I forced myself to figure it out with DS to fix a crack. Using my breast friend helped tremendously. I think the flat design is more conducive to football hold than the boppy.
  • imagemrs.jenni:
    imageLILBIT1221:
    They get more air with a bottle, yeah it's different. I judge constant bottle propers. Is that the right spelling? I know you have to do it sometimes, but people who do it because they are lazy really annoy me.
    Agreed! Every once in awhile while getting ready or in a hurry is fine. But I feel bad for the baby when it's constant... almost like no one has time for them. Poor things!
    exactly! I saw a lady at Target recently, she was doing all the things that I listed, meanwhile her baby who looked to be a few months old, was buried under a blanket & had formula all over his face, trying to root for the bottle that had fallen out of his mouth. :( I wanted to "prop" her starbucks on her face & see if she liked it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"