Parenting

Spinal headache?

Only posting this here bc it's a pretty active board.

For those of you who had an epi did you get a spinal headache? How long till onset? What did it feel like? Did you get the blood patch?

I had a spinal tap Monday AM and when I woke up Wednesday, I had stabbing pain in my forehead coupled with some auditory "fullness". It basically went away if I laid down, but now it's bearable laying down and incapacitating if I stand/sit for longer than a few minutes. I've been to my primary care doc and a neurologist. Neuro put me in painkillers and told me to take caffeine pills. Do my symptoms sound like what your spinal headache felt like?

I'm half tempted to go back to the ER where I had the spinal tap and ask for a blood patch...

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

Re: Spinal headache?

• I had one after my second son.  Yes laying down made it bearable, but sitting up/standing was awful.  My spinal (csection) took 4 tries to get in.  I have really narrow spaces in my spinal column, took 6 tries with my oldest son.  B/c of that I was afraid of having the blood patch. I opted to go with the caffeine route. They put an IV back in, gave me caffeine pills and soda.  It helped, but took a good week and a half before it wound itself down to a dull ache. 
  • I had one with my first. I'm not exactly sure when it started because it was a rough delivery, but it was really bad within a few hours of epi. When painkillers were not helping they determined it was a spinal headache, it was bearable while laying down. They tried the caffeine, laying flat, painkillers first. After about 12 hours of that approach they offered me the blood patch, had to lay flat for another 6 to 8 hours, felt much better afterwards. Good luck.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • 6 to 8, not 68. Sorry, on iPhone.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had a bad one after my c section with Rosie. It was like death. If I was sitting upright I would would have a terrible headache and feel like puking. It was the worst. I couldn't do anything but lay down. I did have a blood patch. I actually had a few. Since the first one didn't take. It pretty much sucks.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Go to the ER where you had the spinal tap and ask for a blood patch. It was literally instant relief for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had one after my first child. The worst headache ever. I literally thought something was going to happen to me, like a stroke, God forbid. It went away after a few days on it's own
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"