Working Moms
Options

Gift to old teachers when moving DC rooms?

My LO is moving to 2s.  She's been in her current room for 10 months, since we started her at daycare.

She has 3 teachers in her old room. I know the parents of another child who moved (in room for 1 year) took all 3 teachers out to dinner and last week I overheard a mother asking one of the teachers if she'd gotten her card/check, her child switched rooms in August.

Is this something you do? If so, what would be appropriate? I'm not really comfortable with a cash gift, but would be up for a g/c or something.  For reference I gave $20 g/cs to each teacher for teacher appreciation week.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gift to old teachers when moving DC rooms?

• Options
    I'm planning to- there are a lot teachers in DS's room, though, so I'll probably get each a smallish gift card and TY note, and bring breakfast or lunch in for them.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We do gifts, usually Target gift cards. I'd base the amount on how much you want to spend and the number of teachers.  For example, we gave the infant room teachers (4 of them) $20 gcs at Christmas, but only $10 when DD switched rooms.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagetosababy:
    We do gifts, usually Target gift cards. I'd base the amount on how much you want to spend and the number of teachers.  For example, we gave the infant room teachers (4 of them) $20 gcs at Christmas, but only $10 when DD switched rooms.

I'm a 3s preschool teacher in my daughter's daycare for a reference.  DDs last day in infants was Wed.  I took in a candy jar (I put in yogurt raisins because both teachers are very health conscience but would have done random chocolates for anyone else) for the room and a Thank you note.  It was more than most parents do and not very expensive.  I usually do not get gifts from children when they move up and only from some for Christmas.  With the last move I did receive 3 gifts.  A nice necklace that had a charm on it that said "blessed"- we were beyond shocked to get this, an edible arrangement to share with my co-worker, and a $10 Target gift card.  Honestly this is all more than I have ever gotten and it was a very nice gesture. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't think you need to take anybody out to dinner. 

I think a simple TY card/acknowledgement is plenty.  When DD moved from the 3s to the 4s last month, I got each of her 3s teachers a card, cupcake and $10 GC from a local/neighborhood bakery near daycare. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I brought in a cake for the infant teachers when my son transitioned out of that room.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Taking out to dinner seems a bit much (not to mention maybe awkward for the teachers what if they dont want to go or it is hard to schedule?), I would do a gift card. Target or B&N, or if you know them better, something appropriate (Starbucks, movie theater, favorite store, whatever).
    I have always given a gift when we moved rooms, yes. The amt has varied but usually in the $20-$30 zone.
  • Options
    I take DS to the floral department of our local supermarket and let him pick out a bouquet of cut flowers for the teacher on the last day in the room. It rarely costs more than $8-9, so even if his room has multiple teachers, he can get a bouquet for each of them. He loves choosing and giving them. Last time he moved up, he reminded me that we had to get them. :-)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    When DS was in daycare and moved up, we would get GCs for the teachers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I do a cookie bouquet for her teachers when DD leaves a room. She has had 4 teachers in her each of the rooms she has left. I do a cookie by design bouquet and they seem to love it. They can share it or take home to share with family. It usually costs me about 40 dollars but looks nice and taste great.
  • Options
    Yes, I would do a small gift card, and a little thank you note.  Maybe $15-20 per teacher.  

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

• Options

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but here's my teacher POV...

when a child is moving to the next grade/class we will say to each other things like, "Oh, that kid is so sweet and his Mom gives the BEST wine!" As a mom, I'd totally want to be the Mom that teachers thought of like that. 

(However, I've never heard anyone say "That Mom never gave me a gift."  If any teacher ever did say something like that, the rest of us would side-eye them like crazy!)  

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"