Breastfeeding
Options

Bottle nipple for 7 month old BF baby

My DS is mostly BF but has 2 bottles a day of pumped BM on the days that I work.  We use the Playtex bottles with the drop-in liners.  I started him out with the slowest flow nipples, but I never moved up to a nipple with a faster flow.  Should I, since he's older and more comfortable with a bottle than when he was a newborn? 

I've noticed that it takes him quite a while to finish a bottle (much longer than it takes him to nurse, since he's gotten much more efficient as he's gotten older) and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the speed that he can get milk from the bottle.  Those of you who mostly BF, what flow nipples do you use when your LO takes a bottle of BM?

Thanks!

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
52 books in 2015?           
image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   

Re: Bottle nipple for 7 month old BF baby

• Options
    I still use slow flow Medela nipples and my DD is 6 months old.  I'd keep your LO on a slower flow also so that when he nurses he doesn't get frustrated with the slower flow.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We use the Playtex drop ins with the slow flow nipples still, and DS is almost 9 months.  As long as your DS doesn't seem frustrated I would stick with the slow flow.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD is 7 months old, and we're still using the slow flow nipples. She does take longer to drink a bottle than nurse, but since she doesn't seem frustrated with it, we haven't moved up.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options

imagekleMcK:
    DD is 7 months old, and we're still using the slow flow nipples. She does take longer to drink a bottle than nurse, but since she doesn't seem frustrated with it, we haven't moved up.

This exactly.  Just keep using the slow flow.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  My instinct was to keep the slow flow, but after my day care provider commented on it (granted, the other baby who is there is FF so it's a totally different situation) I started second guessing myself.  I will stick with the slow flow!
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"