Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Do you throw away breastmilk "leftovers"?

I pump when baby girl has trouble eating reflux and keep it in the fridge for a day or two then heat it in our bottle warmer for her.. Sometimes little one leaves an ounce leftover, can I keep it at room temp refeed it in a couple hours? What have you done/heard?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you throw away breastmilk "leftovers"?

• imageMrsMuq:

Technically, once the baby's mouth touches it it is contaminated and you should toss it.

This. Once baby drinks from it, it's only good for one hour.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • as PPs have said technically once baby's mouth has been on the bottle the contents are "contaminated"

Personally I feel that it's wasteful to throw away a full ounce or more simply because it's "contaminated. What I've heard about this is that the main concern is that the saliva that back washes into the bottle can start destroying the integrity of the milk. To slow this process I put it back in the fridge in between feedings, but make sure that whatever is left doesn't get mixed with "fresh" milk and is used at the next feeding.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I believe the one hour rule is more appropriate with formula. BM has protective factors against bacteria, and I'm very comfortable using any leftover milk at the next feeding. We don't bottle feed much, just at night; LO needs to gain weight so we give her half an ounce of pumped milk at 2 feedings at night. I tend to pour an ounce and give half of it before each of 2 feedings in a row, 2 to 3 hours apart.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • This my LC told me the one hour rule does not apply to BM.
    BFP # 2 9/25/14
    Official Due Date 5/29/15 & HB 143 on 10/13; 11/25 Harmony Results perfect & it's a Girl!

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

Off BCP 5/2009
    TTC since July 2010
    DH's SA = Normal!
    Hysteroscopy 2/2011
    50mg Clomid / Progesterone 77.5 April 2011 = BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 53 May 2011= BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 44.3 June 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 15.7 July 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 14 August 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 32 September 2011=BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 14.9 October 2011=BFN
    First RE Appointment 11/2011
    Hysteroscopy 11/2011 & on Med break
    12/2011 Diagnosed with PCOS (Insulin Resistant)
    12/2011 Adding 1000 MG Metformin per day
    12/14/11 BFP
    Beta #1 664 Beta #2 3330 Beta #3 6160 Beta #4 19546
    Official Due Date 8/18/12 & HB 147 on 1/3; HB 171on  1/19
    Pre-term labor @ 29W bed-rest till Emergency C-Section

IT'S A GIRL

• If you put breast milk back in the fridge it is good for 6hrs
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I pretty much never throw out breastmilk.  If he doesn't finish a bottle, I put it back in the fridge and mix it with fresh milk and give it to him later.  I just make sure that it's used that same day. 
  • imagepunkrockabye:
    I believe the one hour rule is more appropriate with formula. BM has protective factors against bacteria, and I'm very comfortable using any leftover milk at the next feeding. We don't bottle feed much, just at night; LO needs to gain weight so we give her half an ounce of pumped milk at 2 feedings at night. I tend to pour an ounce and give half of it before each of 2 feedings in a row, 2 to 3 hours apart.

This.

The 1 hour rule is for formula.

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/reusing-expressedmilk/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We rarely bottle feed so I have DH only give her an ounce or two at a time and leave the rest in the fridge so we don't have this problem.  I hate throwing away BM since i hate pumping so much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejfresh:
    imageMrsMuq:

Technically, once the baby's mouth touches it it is contaminated and you should toss it.

Personally, if it's a bottle I just took out, I'd just keep it out and use at the start of the next feeding. This rarely happens, though.

This is what I do too. 

This is only necessary with formula

BM has antibacterial properties so the level of bacteria (ie from your skin/pump/bottle)  goes down as bm sits. I never tossed bm. It can sit at room temp for about 4 hours, or back in the fridge until you need it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"