2nd Trimester

3 Hour Glucose Test :-/

So I failed my one hour glucose test by 1 or 2 points and have to take the 3 hour test...lucky me! Ick!

Have any of you ladies taken the 3 hour test before? If so, where do they draw your blood from, 3 or 4 different spots on your arms?

I had a bad experience with my one hour test. The new tech couldn't get the vein in my arm to cooporate so she drew the blood from my hand...hurt like hell and made me sick. I threw up the orange drink immediately after my blood was drawn. I don't want to go through this again.

Thanks for your help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 3 Hour Glucose Test :-/

• I think they alternated arms. I really don't remember it being that bad. Make sure you're hydrated. Maybe that will help them find veins.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • They alternated between arms, and used the lower and higher veins.  Personally, I got much sicker with the 1 hour test than I did with the 3 hour.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I failed by one point last time I was pregnant!  I haven't done the one hour yet this time (next appt).  They alternated arms, but for four draws, that means they take it from the same spot twice.  It wasn't fun. :(  This time if I have to do it, I'm going to ask them to put in a heplock IV port and just take it from there so that I don't have to be stuck four times.  Maybe they will...  I also have issues with them finding veins too.  Make sure you drink a lot of water beforehand (since you can't have it while waiting!)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagedrpayne:
    I think they alternated arms. I really don't remember it being that bad. Make sure you're hydrated. Maybe that will help them find veins.
    . This.  I draw blood and it des make a bit of a difference if you are more hydrated.  

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Ahh, not good :(  SOrry to hear that.  I have my 1-hr. on Saturday and I'm hoping it goes well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They alternated. Staying hydrated is so helpful, and drinking water throughout the test will help your blood sugar stay stable. I would recommend bringing a snack for immediately afterwards, as my sugars were so low after the 3 hour that I threw up while driving home.
    IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Ztarrgheighzurr Lylliegh Smith is due in January!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageTitts McGeee:
    They alternated. Staying hydrated is so helpful, and drinking water throughout the test will help your blood sugar stay stable. I would recommend bringing a snack for immediately afterwards, as my sugars were so low after the 3 hour that I threw up while driving home.

They told me last time I couldn't have water during that time!  Hmmmm...  I'm at a different hospital this time, so I hope I can.  I agree, OP, bring a snack for right after!  Something protein-y, like peanuts and carton of milk!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have really bad veins especially when I don't eat and first thing in the morning too :(  For this reason they had to use the same vein.  They barely were able to get it and were over 30 minutes late on each of the hours and I still failed.  It was torture.  I hope it's better for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"