Toddlers: 24 Months+

Toddlers with eyeglasses?

Hi all,

I lurk here occasionally but this is my first time posting on this board.  Long story short, I learned this week that my 2 year old needs to wear glasses.  We ordered her a pair and we've been talking really positively about her wearing glasses.  But, I'm wondering how to encourage her to wear them every day all day long?  

I usually wear contacts but I started wearing my glasses on a daily basis to provide an example and offer some solidarity.  Any other ideas?

TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Toddlers with eyeglasses?

• I have a 20 months old DS that has worn glasses for just shy of 1 year.  We purchased him the Miraflex frames because they have a band that keeps the glasses secure around his head.  But honestly you don't have to work at it as hard as you think.  Once they put on the glasses for the first time, they can finally see clearly and so it is a whole new world for them.  He has days were he just doesn't want to keep them on, but most days it truly isn't a struggle like I thought it would be. I will say that when he is in the carseat he will ALWAYS take them off and throw them if we forget to take them from him.  I also suggest getting the scratch resist coating on them.  He scratched his first lens within the first week.

If you have any questions, please let me know.  Thanks!

• DS2 (just about 3yr old now) has been wearing glasses since 10mos old and DS1 (4yr) started wearing glasses this past summer. For DS2 since he was still a baby I started with him wearing them during meals. I figured with his hands occupied he would mess with them less. As time went on, I simply increased the time he wore them. With DS1 since he was older, it was simply you are going to wear these when you are indoors. He really only needs them for reading, computer, school type stuff but I wanted him to get used to them quickly. He doesn't wear them all the time indoors now, just when he is supposed to wear them.

At 2yr old, I would probably start with wearing them X amount of time and then keep adding time to it until she is wearing them all the time. It isn't like you need to take 3mos to get her to wear them fully. I'd start with tasks like eating and doing table work (coloring, etc.) and then increase the time from there.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the responses... it sounds like I'm worrying about this transition more than I need to be.  I appreciate the reassurance and suggestions!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"