Georgia Babies

Winter babies

So, our older son was a summer baby, and this one is going to be a winter baby (due in late December). I pulled out our baby clothes, and it looks like I'm going to have to get a whole new wardrobe for our new little guy (for his first year, anyway). What would those with winter babies recommend?

I'm thinking 8 or 10 cotton footed onesies? I can put him in fleece swaddlemes at night and a warm bunting when we go outside. Or should I get some fleece footie pajamas for him? Or should I layer with jackets? I remember liking one-piece outfits that button down both legs for ease of changing with my older son. Am I crazy?

And what bunting/outerwear would you recommend? We have a nice patagonia fleece bunting that our older son used his first winter, but I think it will be too big for our younger son to use this winter. Should I get a new patagonia in the newborn size, or is there something less expensive that works well? We obtained a used Bugaboo with a bassinet for this baby. I think that should help to keep him warm on walks, but I'm sure I'll need something else, either a bunting or a bundleme-type sleeping bag. I'm really interested in hearing what those who had winter babies think. It was the middle of summer when I was on maternity leave with my older son, so it was a whole different ballgame.

Thanks!

Re: Winter babies

• You never know if the baby is going to like being swaddled or not.  If it were me I would get just a few fleece swaddlers to start and several fleece sleep sacks -- that way you can use the sleepers you already have for nighttime. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageshacadu:
    You never know if the baby is going to like being swaddled or not.  If it were me I would get just a few fleece swaddlers to start and several fleece sleep sacks -- that way you can use the sleepers you already have for nighttime. 

Ditto this.  I had one girl that liked to be swaddled and one that didn't.  Some of it will also depend on what temperature you keep your house at.  We wound up keeping the thermostat up pretty high and we just used cotton sleepers with either a swaddle (Aden and Anais, miracle blanket, or we had a couple big flannel swaddle blankets) or a cotton sleep sack (it's possible we had some fleece, but I don't remember now).  We didn't go out a ton when it was cold, but I didn't have any special bunting or anything.  I'd just throw a fleece blanket over them in their car seat.    

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Loading the player...
  • DS was born last Feb and it seemed like he only really wore footed sleep n play outfits and blankets.  We mostly kept him indoors anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks! We have a bunch of swaddle blankets from our older son in various styles. I think they're all cotton, but maybe we'll stick with that for now. Maybe I'll get a mix of cotton and fleece footed sleepers. I like to think I'll be out and about with the baby in a stroller, but maybe I'm kidding myself.

It is such a bummer going through all of these beautiful clothes from our older son and realizing that our younger son will never be able to wear them. Maybe we should have timed things differently...

• Both my boys were fall babies. They lived in fleece sleepers during the winter months. I just used the cotton miracle blanket for swaddling. If we went out I would put a onesie under the fleece sleeper. Poor guys never wore real clothes in the winter.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS was a December baby and actually hated the fleece sleepsacks/swaddles.  He'd sweat right through them so we switched to heavy cotton for winter.  We had an assortment of footed sleepers/sleep n plays though most were heavy cotton or the terry cloth ones (our faves).  He had a few fleece but again, always seemed to be hot.  The winter he was born was snowy/icy and freezing so we actually didn't take him outside too much until February.  We had the fleecy weatherproof thing that popped over the top of the carseat and used that thing a ton though!  It was not the kind that you're not supposed to use (it didn't go under his back), just over the top, and I think was Eddie Bauer from Target.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My oldest and youngest are June babies but my middle is October. Bryce lived in the carter sleep and plays for most of the winter. I had fleece, cotton, terry and they all worked. When we went out he had a blanket over him or he was in the sling on me so he stayed warm. The only time he wore regular clothes were to church and for pictures really. We didn't swaddle our boys so can't help there.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageDaisy22:
    My oldest and youngest are June babies but my middle is October. Bryce lived in the carter sleep and plays for most of the winter. I had fleece, cotton, terry and they all worked. When we went out he had a blanket over him or he was in the sling on me so he stayed warm. The only time he wore regular clothes were to church and for pictures really. We didn't swaddle our boys so can't help there.

Ditto to all this, except we did swaddle.  We used the muslin aden & anis ones, which are warm but breathable.

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks everyone! I'm in awe of those of your who managed to swaddle with aden & anais blankets. We received a bunch of these as gifts, but we could never get the swaddle tight enough. I'm certain it was user error. The miracle blanket was no miracle for us, either. Our son managed to get his little arms out virtually every time. Again, I think we just couldn't get it tight enough. We found that only swaddlemes and the halo sleepsacks with swaddles worked for our son. Finding the perfect swaddling method made a huge difference for his sleep (and our sanity). But I know that every baby is different, so we'll see what works with this one. I suppose if the swaddleme blankets work this this baby, too, we can then order some fleece ones.

I don't like the idea of a cotton sleeper with only a cotton or muslin swaddle blanket. Is that really warm enough in January/February? I guess we can crank up the heat, but then I'll worry about SIDS risk. I want our son to be warm, but not too warm. Argh. It was easier facing winter with a sturdy 6 month old than with a delicate newborn.

I ended up buying a couple of fleece buntings over the weekend for the baby to wear outside. I'm sure blankets would work fine, but I like the idea of having him bundled up safely. I'd like to do a fair bit of walking with our baby during my maternity leave. I was able to do that with our older son his first summer, at least in the mornings before it became too hot. It was great to get out of the house and to get some exercise. Hopefully, we won't get another crazy snowstorm this winter. Anyway, I like that the buntings have hoods as well as fabric that folds over the baby's hands and feet. I bought a few sleep & plays, too. I see no issue with dressing him in these all the time. Newborns do plenty of sleeping in the daytime, after all. :) I'll get one of the car seat covers, too. That seems like a good idea.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"