Cloth Diapering

CDing a newborn & 2 in dipes

With DS we didn't start CDing until he was 3 months.  It was my intention to do so earlier but we received so many sposies as gifts that we decided to use them and waited until DS went up to size medium diapers. 

I just got a bfp the other day and am 98% sure that I want to CD in the newborn stage, the hospital even.  But DH is wary of the meconium and just the general frequency of newborn changes.  DS will only be 2.5 so he will probably still be in diapers too.  I'm a SAHM so I can do a load every day if need be but I might underestimating the complexities of adjusting to a second child.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: CDing a newborn & 2 in dipes

• Congrats on your BFP!

I can't speak to the two-at-once aspect of this, but we had no problems CDing a newborn. In fact, I found that fitteds+covers contained that explosive newborn poop much better than the sposies. I remember using sposies while traveling over Christmas when DD was <3mos ? she blew through those paper diapers so often and it was a completely new experience for us. To me, dealing with the meconium and the extra changes was worth it because I didn't have to change poopy clothes multiple times per day.

• imageplunderb:

Congrats on your BFP!

I can't speak to the two-at-once aspect of this, but we had no problems CDing a newborn. In fact, I found that fitteds+covers contained that explosive newborn poop much better than the sposies. I remember using sposies while traveling over Christmas when DD was <3mos ? she blew through those paper diapers so often and it was a completely new experience for us. To me, dealing with the meconium and the extra changes was worth it because I didn't have to change poopy clothes multiple times per day.

Thanks!  And good to hear.  DS had explosive poops too and when we changed to CDs, it has only happened once and that was like last month.  I had forgotten about that side of the argument!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We CD a newborn and 21 month old and it isn't bad. We started the newborn after we had been home a day or so. I didn't want to take diapers to the hospital and have to do laundry on our first day home so we just used up what the hospital gave us. The meconium was cleared out of his system before we were discharged from the hospital but if it hadnt we use fleece liners and sun all our stains out.

My 21 month old goes through about 67 diapers a day we also are using the potty some the newborn around 15 diapers a day. Both are in prefolds and covers with a few pockets in the mix for night and naps. We do laundry every other day and it hasn't been a problem to get them cleaned in our heavy duty he machine.

Congrats on the bfp! I say go for it it isn't hard to have 2 in cloth.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  •  Congratulations! I only have one but started CDing from the beginning. I used Bummi's disposable liners at first and they helped a little with the meconium, but honestly it wasn't that bad. It came out in the wash. I agree with PP regarding CD containing newborn poop better. The only blow outs I've had are in 'spouses. I especially liked fitteds for this reason at first.
    www.lulukangaroo.com Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I'll be doing that soon enough! If you are concerned about meconium stains the first few days, Green Mtn. Diapers recommends taking old tshirts/undershirts and cutting them up to use as liners. If they stain, no problem. Just wash them and turn them into cleaning rags! I'm sure your DH has a few holey undershirts you could repurpose. Lol
  • Go for it! I CDd two for over a year, washing every day or every other day, and in my opinion CDing two is not a burden, it is a joy. Think of how proud you will be of yourself.

Also, remember that NB skin is even more fragile and sensitive than that of an older baby, so why deny your baby of the benefits of cloth at such a delicate time!? I CDd my second starting in the hospital, using prefolds, AIOs, and later fitteds, and I can honestly say that none of my NB stash ended up with stains from meconium or any other stage of poop - sun works wonders! I personally wouldn't have cared if they did collect a few stains; I purchased them to use as diapers, not to frame and hang on the wall (although some of them are cute enough!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"