2nd Trimester

Rant about customers and name calling

At work today I went to open the change drawer for my co-worker and as I handed him 40 bucks my co-worker's customer said, "Thanks Mom." In a weird, sarcastic way. At first I didn't know if this upper 40 year old dude was calling me his mother because I gave my co-worker money, or if it was because I'm totally showing.... I then decided it was because I'm totally showing, and then I decided I should have chewed him out. MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

I ought to have said, "Only one person can call me mom, and he's not born yet." Oh well. Next time, for there will be a next time! 

Re: Rant about customers and name calling

• The text was sort of hard to read but "thanks mom" is a super common response to giving someone money in my group of friends.
  • Sounds like innocent teasing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBlissBerry:
    I think you are letting your hormones get the better of you. nbsp;It's not like he called you a bad name. nbsp;He called you mom. nbsp;It could have been been because you were handing your coworker money or it could have been because you are pregnant, either way, it's not an insult. He was probably just trying to be funny and it came off a little awkward. I don't think chewing out a customer is really your best option, especially over something so minor. nbsp;

This. It doesn't sound like he was being mean or malicious at all.
  • imageBliss+Berry:
    I think you are letting your hormones get the better of you.  It's not like he called you a bad name.  He called you mom.  It could have been been because you were handing your co-worker money or it could have been because you are pregnant, either way, it's not an insult. He was probably just trying to be funny and it came off a little awkward. I don't think chewing out a customer is really your best option, especially over something so minor.  

This.  I've gotten comments like this from a lot of 40+ aged adults and have never considered it to be an insult.

• Agree with everyone else. It's no big deal and not insulting or rude. You are probably just extra sensitive right now...
  • Yeah, just laugh it off! All my co-workers call me "Mom" or "Momma" now. I actually think it's kinda cute. I'm sure that guy didn't mean anything by it at all!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• imageRose120:
    Agree with everyone else. It's no big deal and not insulting or rude. You are probably just extra sensitive right now...

I thought this when I read the post and opted not to say anything at the time. I thought maybe I was missing something.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Guess I will be the devil's advocate here with PP. I work in retail so I can totally hear the context and can understand when customers say comments like that it just stops you in your tracks and you just think, "What?" I just think customers have no filter and are more often than not, trying to be rude.
    Our little angels went to Heaven very early: 1/2012, 2/2012, 3/2012. "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord". BFP 7/12/12- EDD March 26,2013 BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"