1st Trimester

prenatal vitamins

Does anyone have advice of what to look for when picking out a good prenatal vitamin? I am just wondering if there is anything specific I should look for.

Re: prenatal vitamins

• I think most are pretty similar but try to find one with Folic Acid and DHA. Also, find one that works for you. Some can be upsetting to the stomach and make you feel worse.

My Dr. gives me a prescription that I use , but I've used store brands that have been just as good.

• Loading the player...
  • imageScarah510:
    Thank you

You're welcome. Just FYI, I use the Target brand prenatal and I've seen a lot of other women mention it also. It's inexpensive, easy to access, and compares almost exactly with my prescription prenatal. May be a good place to start
    Good luck! :

• I take Garden of life raw prenatal, and I love it.  I am big on probiotics and raw makes it easy to take with or without food.  The best part is the ginger in it.  You take it 3 times a day and it helps with  nausea.  I supplement with a fish oil. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I take the Target brand PNV and the Target brand DHA. I take them at night and haven't had any tummy issues (sometimes the pnv can make people feel a little ill).  My OB didn't have a preference for prescription vs. over the counter.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My RE is pretty specific about what he wants in a prenatal.

I take Prenate Essential with an additional zinc pill daily and weekly slow release Vitamin D. 

• I still take mine -- Rainbow Light one a day pre-natal.  I got them at the Publix (grocery store) for $10 for 50...and they have more nutrients than the pricier brands and were easy on my stomach.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • PS: I LOVE the Prenate Essential b/c I was on a different one first and the pharmacy couldn't get it for me. So, the doc put me on the Prenate Essential w/ the other supplements. FINALLY: a PNV that does NOT make me sick to my stomach!
  • A couple of weeks ago, I switched to the One a Day Prenatal, however I'm getting something new tomorrow...I may try the Target brand.  The One a Day has 4000 IU of vitamin A which is fine becuase you should stay under 5000 IU, but my midwife told me to get off of it if I plan on eating foods with vitamin A like carrots, sweet potatoes, romaine lettuce...all of which I love.  She told me I should get one with 2000 IU.
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • i take rainbow light as well and i buy them on amazon.

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Team Target Prenatals right here.

• I've been taking Real Organics Prenatal. It's a bit pricey.. $30 for a 30 day supply but it has what was really important to me

-food based. Stuff made in a lab scares me.

-Non Gmo, again, stuff made in a lab scares me

-take it multiple times a day, makes it easier to absorb nutrients rather than pee it out.  

• if you have meijer stores in your state, they do free prescription prenatals.  that is what i've taken with all three pregnancies. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"