Babies: 0 - 3 Months

daytime nap advice

I realize everyone's parenting styles are different and there are so many different methods out there so I want to ask... How are you approaching daytime naps?

My LO is sleeping well during the night, we have a routine before bedtime and he sleeps a good 4 hours before waking up to eat and then he eats and goes back to sleep for another 2-3 hours. A good night IMO. During the day, however, he will not nap unless DH or I hold him. I'm fine with this some days, but eventually I'm going to need to be able to set him down. We have tried several times once he is seriously asleep, limp arms and all, to put him in his crib, but the moment his head hits the mattress he wakes up and cries or screams so we pick him up again and he falls back asleep. I'm not a fan of CIO. I don't think it is fair to him. I don't think our nighttime bed routine is an option to get him to nap in his crib or he's going to get several baths during the day. He's only 6 weeks old so I understand if there is a need for him to remain close to us often and I'm still working on getting used to baby wearing for some situations. I'm just looking for some advice to start transitioning him to napping without being held over the next few weeks. Any thoughts?

Re: daytime nap advice

• Have you tried letting him nap in a swing??
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• Yes, we have tried a swing. It works maybe 30% of the time. At first he would sleep in it for an hour or so and now it's barely 15 minutes. Maybe this is just a phase?
  • Loading the player...
  • It's possible.  My LO isn't a great napper either, but he sleeps amazingly at night!  He's been STTN since he was 10.5 weeks :)  Your LO's night time sleep patterns were what my guy did at that age too.... and now he only takes 30 minute naps here and there throughout the day.  Sometimes we get 45-60 minutes out of him.

Some babies just aren't good nappers, I guess.  Just keep looking for the tired ques... have you tried swaddling for naps?

Our TTC Journey

August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• He has never really liked to be swaddled. Would kick out of blankets and he doesn't like his arms close to his sides. He prefers the "freedom" of sleep sacks. Maybe I will try letting him nap in one of those...
  • Sounds just like my DS!  He has always kicked his legs like crazy.  I swaddle with his arms on his chest, as opposed to down by his sides.  That way he can get his hands out and up to his mouth if/when he wants to.  He likes to sooth himself with his hands!!

I used the sleep sacks with the swaddle as well as regular swaddling blankets... I find that they are big enough that the bottom comes up pretty high to where he can't really kick out of it.  Try swaddling with his arms/hands on his chest and then having him nap in the swing... the way it forms again their bodies makes it a little harder for them to kick out of the swaddles.  GL!!

Our TTC Journey

• i found that my LO naps if i lay next to him on our bed. then i quietly roll out or sleep too ;)
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • We have the same problem with ours! First off - read or watch "The H appiest Baby on the Block". My son hated being swaddled but we didn't understand how to do it and the point of it until we watched this movie and it really helped plus they give you other helpful suggestions!

I have a rice sock (literally a sock filled with white rice and tied off at the top) that I heat for 1 minute and place in the crib to make his bed more comforting. Then when it isn't too hot, I put him in next to it. Make sure that the sock is well below his head so it isn't as likely to cause any breathing issues and that it is palced on the same side of his body as you were when you were holding him. I read somewhere that it helps babies think they are still being held and lets them stay asleep longer. The sock doesn't stay hot for too long so it isn't a burn risk as long as you are careful about how long you heat it.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"