November 2011 Moms

So let's discuss-- birthday cake!

What are you doing for LO's birthday? Based off of some people's reaction to the fact that I keep junk to a minimum when giving LO food, I am sure I will get the side eye for not wanting to give him actual birthday cake. Sure, the doc OK'd it but I want LO to have a big smash cake and not just a tiny piece of birthday cake (which is what I would be comfortable with him having). I have read a couple baby-friendly cake recipes that I may try out... but I also want it to look like a cake! Gah! Anyways, do you know what you will be doing? Anyone have a great tasting/looking cake (and  maybe even healthy-ish icing) recipe? TIA

PS-- this is the pic of what the cake from the baker will look like...

Re: So let's discuss-- birthday cake!

• Because of DD's Milk and Soy protein intolerance we are making her banana bread.  She loves banana bread but I don't make it often so it will be a good treat for her.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • I'm letting DS have cake. I figure once a year is fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • With DD1 I kept her diet pretty strict until she was 2, but I let her have cake on her birthday.  I made a cupcake which was the top tier of her cake and she only ate a small portion, she wasn't into smashing.

I don't think DD2 will be able to have cake on her b-day. I have her eating purees now, but we have not yet been okayed to give table food so she has no experience with eating. I am ridiculously upset about thisCrying I may just give her a cake to smash to pieces, she knows how to do that.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • I am planning on doing a smash cake. Most of it will end up on the floor or his hair. I highly doubt that much will make it into his mouth. I am pretty Strict about what he eats but hey it's his first birthday why not.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • No suggestions for a "healthy" cake recipe but I'm doing a sheet cake with a "smash" cake 4D bunny that will sit on the top of the cake
    Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I am going to make a pumpkin cake with whole wheat flour, and applesauce/SP puree instead of sugar in the shape of a pumpkin for her smash cake. For the guests at her party I am just doing mini cupcakes since I am doing other (mini) desserts as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are doing a smash cake for LO.  Chocolate with buttercream icing.. sugar over here!!

I don't feed him junk, but I have no problem letting him have sweets.. he had a bite of two of my cake I had for dessert tonight! 

• I did just a regular vanilla cake with homemade cream cheese frosting that had very little sugar in it.  DS was more interested in scooping up the frosting than eating cake, and he only had a little bit.  That was probably the first time he really had something sugary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Let him eat cake! I keep junk to the bare minimum, too. But to me, special occasions are special because kids get treats that they never have.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're having cake... plus other treats at the party. DD will have a smash cake (a bigger cupcake), all to herself. She'll probably eat it. She's already had cake... we have a 6 nieces and nephews and she's tried cake at one of their parties already, plus a family reunion. And she loved it... of course!

While we make sure she has fruits and veggies and balanced meals every day, I'm not obsessed with keeping things away from her. A little bit of a treat now and then won't hurt her... especially on her birthday.

• imagebrewcitybride:
    Let him eat cake! I keep junk to the bare minimum, too. But to me, special occasions are special because kids get treats that they never have.

This.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I definitely think you should do whatever you are comfortable with -that being said we are doing homemade vanilla cake (I think).  If you are looking for healthy-ish maybe try skinnytaste.com-I usually like her stuff.  Weelicious has been good too, but I haven't checked out cakes at either.  What about carrot cake or pumpkin something?  Regardless I think you LO will love it :)
  • imagepurple4u:
    I am planning on doing a smash cake. Most of it will end up on the floor or his hair. I highly doubt that much will make it into his mouth. I am pretty Strict about what he eats but hey it's his first birthday why not.

This.

I think he'll be too busy playing in it to actually eat any of it. But, I think I will see if we can make the icing a little less sweet, just because it'll be the first sugary thing he has and my aunt is making the cake and her icing is usually super sweet. 

There are some recipes on wholesome baby for healthy cakes and icings, they sound pretty good.

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipFirstBDay.htm#.UGpTnLT3DR0

P.S: That cake is adorable! I love it! 

After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Honestly, I'd be so surprised if anyone side-eyed you about cake.  Every family makes choices about what is right for them so why should this be any different?  I'd guess a majority of kids will get cake on their first bday.  You won't be alone! :)

Here's the cake I want for DD.  Her room is an owl theme, she is being an owl for Halloween, and apparently I have a problem because her bday is owl-themed as well. 

imageimage" mce_src="image">

• DS2 will get a smash cake-- he's just now starting to self feed so he may or may not actually eat it. DS1 barely ate any of it on his birthday, even though he was eating table food by then-- like PP's mentioned, it ended up on the floor, on his clothes, in his hair, etc.

I think most of us are pretty particular about what we feed our LO's, but I know that the few bites of cake/icing that may make it into DS2's mouth won't ruin his healthy diet. In fact, for DS1's second birthday, we did cake push pops and he took one lick of the icing and handed it back to me. He'd rather eat fruit.

I think the tradition of a smash cake is fun & I want to give my boys treats on their birthdays that they don't normally get. But if it's not for you, that's ok!

• I am a little nervous about the amount of cake DS will consume! He's a pro eater and hardly anything falls into his lap if he really likes something. We are doing a smash cake for his first birthday photo shoot so for his birthday he will be getting a specially decorated cupcake and that's it. I agree though, it only happens a handful of times each year....let the kid eat cake!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"