Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

help stopping bottle!

My ped said my 14.5 month old should be off the bottle by now.  Yesterday we tried cold turkey and she didn't drink much from the sippy so we caved.  She's been getting 3-4 bottles a day plus water sippy's with meals for the past several months.  When we try milk in the sippy, she's not interested.  I know the bottle is for comfort.  Do they still need 24 oz of milk at this age?  I can try to wean her down to 2 bottles a day and increase the sippy's.  Any other ideas?  I'd like to kill the bottle for various reasons.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: help stopping bottle!

• Are you doing formula or WCM in the sippy? Our pedi said a maximum of 20 oz of WCM a day is needed.  We are down to one bottle a day, which is the nighttime bottle.  She just recently started drinking milk out of the sippy cup at all meals and snacks  We went to a different brand and it helped.  Have you tried different sippys?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • 2% milk as per ped. recommendation.  Tried 4 different sippy's before she would take the OXO and only that one.  Working on the Playtex one with the straw.  Dr. doesn't seem to think she needs as much milk but I neglected to ask for an exact amount.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My ped said no more than 16 oz of WCM a day. After taking away the bottle cold turkey DS didn't drink much out of his sippys. But after a couple of days he drinks 8 oz of WCM at a time. I think the transition is a little tough but once that adjust it is fine. Good luck!
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • We are in the process of this right now.  LO turned 1 about 10 days ago.  I had been mixing WCM with formula for about a week in her sippys, and a couple of days ago we went cold turkey with no bottles except her normal 5-6 oz. bottle of formula at bedtime.  I bet she has been drinking about 8-10 oz. of WCM in her sippy per day, plus the ounces from her nighttime bottle.  I keep a sippy with water out almost all the time so she can sip on that, too.  I'm afraid of dehydration since we live in a hot climate.  I bet you are probably right that it's a comfort thing.  You may just have to stop cold turkey and only offer sippys instead of a bottle.  My LO started out with the straw kind, but now she understands how to suck on the ones with the spout, so we use both.  You might have a couple of hard days going cold turkey, but eventually your LO will (hopefully?) forget about the bottle! 
  • Just do it. Get rid of the bottles. if you cave you send mix messages.  IT will probably take her a few days to drink milk out of the sippy, but she will.  I would offer water if she wont take the milk (just so she doesn't get dehydrated).
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • It's actually not 16oz of MILK.  It is "you need the equivalent fat/cal/vitamins/minerals that 16 oz of milk gives you".  If your LO will drink water and eat that equivalent then you are fine. 

That said, not every kid can just do cups.  Mine had strength issues that kept him form being able to do it.  People told me to go cold turkey and that was bad advice.  I didn't.  We found Nuk sippy cups (they are small, hold only 5-6oz) and had a soft spout.   The handles are removable.  This is literally the 15th cup we tried and he finally "got" it.

Is your LO crawling and walking proficiently?  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"