1st Trimester

Primer and birth defects

Ok...here we go again, 3rd kid and I am once again a paranoid freak!  I suppose it would be best to ask my doc on this but I have been refinishing some furniture and just read the can and said that the primer I was using (Zinsser bulls eye oil based primer) has been known to cause cancer and birth defects in CA...I am in WI, however I have been using that primer and am now in a panic!  I don't use it every day and am always outside but still, breathing in those fumes/dust etc....Anyone know anything about paints and exposure and the real risks?  BTW...I am just 5 weeks...

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Primer and birth defects

• I swear California puts that label on everything. It was also on a bracelet I bought in Hawaii and it's also on my seche vite nail polish.

as long as you dont drink it........

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • I feel your pain. I'm on pregnancy #2 and I'm still a paranoid freak as well. Had a small panic last night over the label on my cleaning supplies...which I threw in the trash today.

I'm sure you're ok, especially being outside, you wouldn't have much direct exposure to the fumes and enough fresh air to make the exposure nbd. But to be safe, I'd probably take a break from working with it until you can talk with your OB.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I spray painted and stained a table when I was pregnant with #1. I was in my first tri and I read the warnings after I did everything. I also worked outside, but I knew I was pregnant so I tried not to breathe fumes. I panicked, and went to google (big mistake). My LO is perfectly healthy :) I'm sure you are fine- some people don't even know they're pregnant at 5 weeks and continue living normally (drinking, etc). 

Congrats on your LO! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"