1st Trimester

list of safe skin products during pregnancy?

Hi everyone, I found out a week ago I am pregnant after TTC for nearly two years.  The last couple of days I have been scouring the internet for a list of pregnancy-safe personal hygiene products to use (facial cleanser, make up, moisturizer, shampoo, conditioner, detangling spray, EVERYTHING).  It is IMPOSSIBLE to find a list of safe products to use!  Does anyone here have any insight?  I don't want a list of what to avoid because honestly standing in the store and trying to interpret every ingredient is exhausting.  Please help!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Me: 31 DH: 42 w/ perfect superhuman SA TTC since 01/2011, all tests normal

09/2012: BFP! Beta #1: 117 Beta #2 165 Beta #3 253 Beta #4 3273 Beta #5 19,808 EDD: June 3 2013,
u/s at 6w1d, saw one beautiful heartbeat, a strong 172 bpm! Can't wait to meet our baby blob!

06/14/2013:  Our beautiful bunny boy born nearly two weeks late! 

Re: list of safe skin products during pregnancy?

• Why wouldn't regular shampoo and conditioner be on? Just avoid some acne washes and you'll be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have been using cosmetic database:

https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

..and it has turned me into a crazy person.  I have purged much of my makeup and hair products.  C.D. gives products a score from 0-9 depending on how safe the ingredients are.  I am beginning to loosen up a little and use some mid-range products because many of the best scoring products are very tough to find.  Some of my current favs:

Alba Botanical conditioner, Burt's Bees shampoo & facewash, Almay one coat mascara, Neutrogena Healthy Skin bronzer

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not changing a single thing in my hair products or skin care routine. The only thing I am avoiding is salicylic acid but I'm still going to ask my midwife about that one. 

You only need to avoid really big chemicals such as retinol, retin-A, some AHAs (depending on where it comes from.. such as lactic acid, glycolic, salicylic). Otherwise, don't drive yourself crazy. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • I am totally driving myself crazy over this.  For example--the Neutrogena Healthy Skin line (which I use pre-PG) contains retinoids, which is a no-no.  Plus shampoo, conditioner, anything that goes on your skin contains parabens which is a carcinogenic preservative.  It took me a very long time to get here and I just want to do everything within my control to make sure everything is okay.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Me: 31 DH: 42 w/ perfect superhuman SA TTC since 01/2011, all tests normal

09/2012: BFP! Beta #1: 117 Beta #2 165 Beta #3 253 Beta #4 3273 Beta #5 19,808 EDD: June 3 2013,
    u/s at 6w1d, saw one beautiful heartbeat, a strong 172 bpm! Can't wait to meet our baby blob!

06/14/2013:  Our beautiful bunny boy born nearly two weeks late! 

• imageHopeful1981:
    I am totally driving myself crazy over this.  For example--the Neutrogena Healthy Skin line (which I use pre-PG) contains retinoids, which is a no-no.  Plus shampoo, conditioner, anything that goes on your skin contains parabens which is a carcinogenic preservative.  It took me a very long time to get here and I just want to do everything within my control to make sure everything is okay.

I think the key is to find balance.  (although I appreciate the Neutrogena tip!)  There are many shampoos, conditioners, and skincare products that don't contain parabens and other harmful chemicals.  That said, millions of women don't take these extra precautions and have perfectly healthy babies.  I'm with you, and believe that there are far too many unnecessary chemicals in products that aren't super safe and that most people are unaware of.  It will be nearly impossible to completely avoid everything that some study has labeled as dangerous.  If you are concerned about these things, make small changes.  Maybe start by finding a shampoo and conditioner that you like that you feel comfortable using. 

One bonus is that I have started wearing less makeup in general.  I feel good about this for a few reasons - but mostly it has cut down on my getting-ready time in the am!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did stop using my face care products and masks when I got my BFP, but I continued using my hair care products. I use Lush products and, while they're not 100% free of chemicals, they're pretty good. I agree with PPs that you can't avoid every single thing. Concentrate on the biggies and everything in moderation.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"