High-Risk Pregnancy

Low Platelets - Under 100

I am 31 weeks pregnant with baby #2. With my first pregnancy, my platelet levels were low, but never dropped below 100. With this pregnancy, my platelets have consistently been dropping and at 28 weeks fell below 100 (94). My OB is referring me to a hematologist to determine a game plan for the remainder of my pregnancy and delivery. I understand that when your platelets drop below 100, you are unable to get an epidural. When they drop below 80, they are concerned about your blood clotting all together. My OB did say that the hematologist will most likely prescribe me prednisone for the remainder of my pregnancy which will boost up my platelet count. I just want to explore all my options and do what is best for my baby and myself. A few concerns of mine - 1. prednisone decreases your body's ability to fight infection. 2. what effects do prednisone have on my baby? Has anyone else experienced this? How did you handle your delivery? Are there other options available that I can ask about? Were you able to increase your platelet count through natural supplements/vitamins?

Re: Low Platelets - Under 100

• Just curious, has your doctor ruled out pre-e and HELLP syndrome? As for increasing platelet count, I've heard vitamin C is supposed to help. Make sure you are getting enough iron, as well. Anemia can reduce platelet count. I don't really have any other advice for you or know anything about prednisone, but I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your pregnancy.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Every dr is different but I received an epidural at 80. The cut off was 70 at my hospital but it was 60 for a spinal. I was at 64 two days before delivery, 74 the day before, and 80 on the day of delivery. I was induced and didn't know if I was going to be able to have an epidural until we got my blood work back. They told me not to worry about bleeding out until I hit the 20's. Platlets were normal the day after delivery. I was not put on prednisone because it was decided that I should be induced. I was told there was nothing to could do to increase my platlets. You can be tested 5 times in 1 day and get 5 different numbers. Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm with yingyang about ruling out pre eclampsia or HELLP. Good luck to you!
  • My hospital was a large academic medical center and they would do an epidural as low as 70. I was at 70 at 38.5 weeks and put on 75mg of prednisone. I delivered a week later and got my epi and everything was fine. Prednisone + pregnancy hormones made me unbelievably emotional and cranky, though.

There is no serious risk of bleeding out at 80. Sheesh, when you're not about to deliver a baby, they don't even treat you until you're below 30-50. I've been as low as 55 (not pregnant) and I was still just monitored closely. Believe it or not, you're usually not at risk of serious hemorrhage unless you're below 10.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am on my 3rd pregnancy, and have had gestational thrombocytopenia for all of them.  Mine fluctuate between 60-80 throughout pregnancy.  Your platelets aren't at a dangerous place.  They will monitor them and give you prendisone and/or platelet transfusion if your platelets aren't where they need to be to receive an epidural (at my hospital it's 80.  I never needed anything, they took my blood when I went in for delivery, and both times it had moved itself high enough for an epidural. Crossing fingers for the same this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"