March 2013 Moms

winter coats

So with colder weather coming, I am wondering what everyone is going to do about winter coats.  I know my wool coat will never fit once I am showing.  

Will you buy a maternity coat?  Will you keep wearing what you have and just not zipper it?  Will you buy a regular coat in a larger size? 

Please share you plan.   Thanks!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: winter coats

• A regular coat in a larger size won't work for most people because the sleeves will be too long and the shoulders too broad.  Winter coats are expensive to get altered.

I'm having a difficult time because the only place I can find xs maternity coats (work appropriate for my office setting) is Old Navy.  Their coats are boxy in the shoulders and never fit me right.

I may suck it up and order one, then return if it doesn't fit well.

I'm finding that pickings are slim online.  Destination Maternity has some online but the sizes are really limited.

I live in an area that's cold for month's on end, so I really need to break down and buy something soon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have thought about this too, my plan is to search a couple consignment stores to see what they have. Otherwise I might just see of anyone has one I could borrow
  • Loading the player...
  • I bought a winter coat at an end of season online sale last year and it ended up being too big, so I think I can get away with using that at first.  After that, I might see if any friends have maternity coats.    

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

• I'll just have my regular coat unzipped. I can't see spending all that money for such a short amount of time.
    imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Consignment is the way to go in my opinion. I found a cute Motherhood wool one in my size at a consignment shop yesterday. For 40! My other plan was to look for a cape I could wearI like capes, anyway, and I could wear it when I'm not pregnant, too.
  • My mom bought me a coat last winter and intended for it to be a little bigger "just in case". I just tried it on the other day and I have plenty of room for probably at least til close to the end of my pregnancy. If it gets too small I will revisit my options then.
    Our little angels went to Heaven very early: 1/2012, 2/2012, 3/2012. "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord". BFP 7/12/12- EDD March 26,2013 BabyName Ticker
  • I will wear my regular coat, unzipped if need be. Honestly, I am a fan of sweatshirts and I get entirely too hot when pregnant! I may not wear anything but long sleeves.. Lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got one at Motherhood yesterday and used my "bump bucks" It was still $60, but since I'll be very pregnant all winter I thought it wasn't a bad investment. It has side zippers so it will expand as I do! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't even use a winter coat last year so no worries for me.  Thank you Mississippi winters!

• There's a thread from a couple of days ago about winter coats. There are a few at Asos, with free shipping and free returns.

Since I'm still not showing at all I figure I'll play this one by ear. Most of my coats have lots of space, but I have no idea if they'll last all winter. I'll buy one if they don't fit I'm a total wimp in winter and could never leave my coat unzipped.
  • imageMrs.Watson06:

I got one at Motherhood yesterday and used my "bump bucks" It was still $60, but since I'll be very pregnant all winter I thought it wasn't a bad investment. It has side zippers so it will expand as I do! 

where did you get bump bucks?
  • I still have mine from DD that I will wear. 

It seems like everything is so expensive now - I got it from $30 from ON in 2009.  Even in Arkansas (back then) I still got lots of use out of it. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I just bought an adorable Gap Maternity Peacoat on ebay for $27 + shipping.  Tons of gently used maternity clothes and coats on ebay.  Take a peek!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I bought a red maternity short pea coat a few Weeks ago.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• imageann_jeremiah:
    I bought a red maternity short pea coat a few Weeks ago.

From old navy... With 30 off

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• I realized just this year I am a coat hoarder. I don't think I'll be buying a new one, BUT wanted to share with you that on totsy.com right now for I think only 1 more day they have reeaaallly cute coats on sale for 20 bucks!
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I think I'm going to try to get away with leaving mine unbuttoned. We have cold winters here too, but I'm not outside that much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got my Motherhood Maternity one at a thrift store for $6, still in perfect condition
  • I got lucky and scored a not quite perfect coat from Land's End (a quilted down one!) back in July that is about 2 sizes too big.  I live in MN and work downtown Mpls.  When the wind whips between the tall buildings in the middle of January, having an unbuttoned coat isn't going to cut it and I have a 4 block walk from my ramp to my office.  It zips AND ties so I figure if I grow out of it closer to spring when the winter chill isn't so terrible, I can at least still semi secure it. 
  • Old Navy had some decent ones online the other day!
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"