Breastfeeding

Not gaining weight, Momma is freaking out...

I'm sorry this is going to be long.... my twins are EBF and I've weighed them once a week every week since birth to keep track and make sure they are growing okay.

Both boys have reflux, so we have had them on Zantac since 4 months and just last week upped their dosage a little. We also started them on 1TBSP of rice cereal (mixed with BM) once a day, to see if that would help with the reflux... This was all under pedi instruction. I'm pumping after they go to bed to make sure my supply isn't affected by the early start of solids....

Ben has stopped gaining weight. In the past two weeks, he has only gained 1.5 ounces total! Alex is slowing down significantly too.... gained 5 ounces last week, 3 ounces this week. They both did have really bad diarrhea yesterday and weren't feeling good. I don't know if that's part of the problem or not.

I know they are taking in milk well. After weighing Ben this morning we did a quick weighed feeding, and he easily took in 2.5 to 3 ounces. That's exactly what I would expect, considering they still eat every 2.5 to 3 hours during the day, and once or twice or more at night (the reflux makes them want to nurse more at night). When I pump before going to bed, I get 5 ounces in about 5 minutes, so I really don't think it's a supply issue.

What on earth could be going on? I'm so worried, about Ben especially.... I just bit DH's head off I'm stressing over this so badly. And of course I can't call the DR till tomorrow.

Part of me wants to quit the Zantac and quit the rice cereal and go back to square one.... but if we do that will we have babies screaming in pain all night long again? I can't do that to them...

Any advice at all? Thanks a million!!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Not gaining weight, Momma is freaking out...

• First, try not to stress, and more importantly, try not to compare your boys to each other.  Between 5-6 months, as babies get more active, it's *normal* for their weight gain to slow down considerably.  Is the twin who isn't gaining as well sitting up, crawling, rolling over, etc?  What about the other twin?  If he's still taking in 2-3oz in a weighted feed, then he's getting plenty, so the weight gain slow-down is related to something other than your supply --- most likely the increase in caloric burn that happens around this age.

FWIW, DS gained less than 2 pounds between his 4 month & 6 month well visits - a total of about 25oz, so on average about 3oz/week during that time.  I don't think you have anything to worry about. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First- breathe, mama. Relax! You are doing amazing.

Second- how is Ben acting? His usual self? Enough wet diapers? Nursing enough? 

What is your rationale for quitting the Zantac and rice cereal? (not snark, actual question). I would hardly consider 1 tbsp a day of cereal "starting solids" so I really wouldn't worry about that affecting supply or his milk intake. 

Have they gotten more active recently? Rolling, crawling, etc? My LO slows his weight gain drastically when he hits more active milestones. That could account for the recent slow down, as could his just not feeling well (you mentioned diarrhea yesterday).

I would call the doc in the morning to see if s/he wants to see LO and rule out any possibly issues, but between now and then I would just relax with your babies, nurse often, and get them back to feeling better.

Seriously, I'm in awe of EBF twins and a 2 year old. You rock!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMichelleL1118:

First, try not to stress, and more importantly, try not to compare your boys to each other.  Between 5-6 months, as babies get more active, it's *normal* for their weight gain to slow down considerably.  Is the twin who isn't gaining as well sitting up, crawling, rolling over, etc?  What about the other twin?  If he's still taking in 2-3oz in a weighted feed, then he's getting plenty, so the weight gain slow-down is related to something other than your supply --- most likely the increase in caloric burn that happens around this age.

I know I try really hard not to compare them, but it's hard in this respect b/c they have always tracked so close in weight, within a half pound of each other...

They have both been working on learning how to sit up, so maybe it is the calorie burning.... I'll just keep an eye on it, thanks!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagehonkytonk_kid:

First- breathe, mama. Relax! You are doing amazing.

Second- how is Ben acting? His usual self? Enough wet diapers? Nursing enough? 

Yeah, still his normal self, very happy, plenty of wet diapers, poop seems to be more normal today (versus diarrhea yesterday).

What is your rationale for quitting the Zantac and rice cereal? (not snark, actual question). I would hardly consider 1 tbsp a day of cereal "starting solids" so I really wouldn't worry about that affecting supply or his milk intake. 

I guess I'm worried that the Zantac is causing the diarrhea, and not allowing his body to absorb what he's taking in...

Have they gotten more active recently? Rolling, crawling, etc? My LO slows his weight gain drastically when he hits more active milestones. That could account for the recent slow down, as could his just not feeling well (you mentioned diarrhea yesterday).

It's possible. They are both working on sitting up right now, and occassionally try to crawl/move though neither one gets anywhere yet, heehee. I really didn't think about how that would pull on their calories, but it makes sense.

I would call the doc in the morning to see if s/he wants to see LO and rule out any possibly issues, but between now and then I would just relax with your babies, nurse often, and get them back to feeling better.

Seriously, I'm in awe of EBF twins and a 2 year old. You rock!

Thank you! It's been challenging, but so worth it... and my toddler is a big help when it's time for the babies to "get booby" as he likes to say =)

• imageAmyG*:

RELAX

As babies get older you will see a bigger difference between weight gain this week, and weight gain next week.  weighing them all the time will effectively just drive yourself nuts.  It's normal to see low weight gain this week, and higher next week. Also you are heading into the 6 month growth spurt?  Where all of a sudden they want to eat more and will all of a sudden pack on a bit more weight than normal, so their average weight per week will be higher than what you are seeing right now. There is a reason why doctors appointments are further apart, so you can see the growth more over time rather than little snapshots that don't show the whole picture.

normal for 4-6 months of age is 3.25-5oz of weight gain.  But at 6 months (and sometimes BEFORE 6 months) it drops to 1.75-4oz being normal.

Watch diaper count.  watch the diarhea.  I believe some babies do have a bit of diarhea with zantac, but rice cereal usually does the opposite, so give it a couple days before being too worked up.  Their digestive systems have to get used to this new thing.  I'd also suggest they MAY be coming down with something that is the cause of the diarhea, or teeth on the way and extra teething drool will cause it too. 

Thank you!!!!

• Between 4 and 6 months my DS gained 12 oz and dropped off his curve. During that time he also started sitting and crawling so he was burning a lot of calories. He's 2 now and perfectly healthy. I wouldn't worry too much about weight gain as long as there is some and he's healthy and meeting milestones
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"