3rd Trimester
Options

38 Weeks - Just want to stay home!

Any first timers wary of leaving the house? I keep getting worried that my water will break in public, or that I'll freak out when I realize labor is starting. I'm finally on maternity leave and was hoping to get dinner with a friend, go get a pedicure, etc. but I'm actually hesitant to leave the husband at home and go out! Not really rational...but that seems like my theme for this pregnancy!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 38 Weeks - Just want to stay home!

• Options
    Yes!  I (hopefully) still have a few more weeks to go before I have to start worrying about going into labor, but I'm sooo terrified my water will break in the middle of my classroom in front of all of my students.  It makes me want to wear black pants every day.  
  • Options
    I'm not scared to leave the house.  But, I'm not loving driving at this point.  I'm working from home starting Monday, so that makes it easier on me.  But, DH just started a new job over an hour away and I now have to go to the dr. twice a week (once for regular appts, once for ultrasound & NST).  He can't go both times each week, so I have to drive myself... which makes me nervous. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely irrational, but when are we ever rational :-) I would try not to stress. Go do those fun things, you won't be able to (at least as easily) once baby comes. Your water probably won't break during a two hour lunch or a pedicure, and if it does, you'll have a good story and plenty of time to get ready, home and to the hospital :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I'm not afraid to leave the house at all and don't really care if my water breaks in public (even though at this point I know I'm carrying about 4x the amniotic fluid most women do and it'll be a huge mess) but I really just have no desire to leave the house.  Here I can walk around without a bra. I can nap any time I want, and I can get things done around the house.  I have to force myself to go out and run errands.
  • Options
    I went out on maternity leave at week 38 with DD.  I still went shopping, walked a little bit and everything.  I WANTED her to come.  After week 37 all beats were off so I moved around business as usual to get her to GTFO before my induction date.  She finally showed up at 39weeks 4 days.  My water never actually broke until they broke it at the hospital.  Now I am wondering if I will have a similar experience.  I am 30 weeks and my cervix is still 5 inches.  I say treat yourself the the pedi now! before you are too busy later :).  
  • Options
    lol i'm the total opposite! DH and i know that we won't be going out once LO is here, so we've been out and about. walking, going to the movies, out to dinner, the mall, etc. to be honest, at this point in my pregnancy, i could care less if my water broke in public. i just want her out! lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

MEEEE!!!! But I think mine is just the overwhelming urge to nest. I can't get my house clean or organized enough! We live in a smaller house than when I had DS and now with all of his stuff around I just keep moving things... and organizing, and cleaning, and moving them again. Plus just keeping up after him and his "organizing" it's making me crazy! I find myself doing more outside things with him so that my house stays as I put it.

Also, the thought of getting him together, getting him in the car, and then actually going anywhere that requires getting him out of the car when we get there exhausts me. DH is coming with me this morning so that I can do my Sunday running around and we can all get out together since this weekend and next are our last 2 weekends before DS2 gets here.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with pp. I am anxious to get out of the house now because I know it will be a while before we'll get out again once DD is born. Plus, DS and I have been sick with colds and now that we're better I just want to get out of the house! Lol.

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• Options

I think only about 10% of labors start with your water breaking, and if you're one of the other 90% and you start to feel contractions, it's NOTHING like in the movies. You don't go from fine to doubled over screaming. More like, hmmm.... that felt wierd... for a few hours. Don't be scared about going out.

FWIW my water actually DID break while I was out but I was in at the gym and felt like I needed to pee badly so I sprinted for the toilet and it pretty much broke there. I waddled out to the car with a towel wrapped around my waist (I had been at a swim class) and no one there ever knew.

I'd say carry a cardigan if you find it reassuring, but try to get out and enjoy your last few weeks or baby-free freedom. DO IT!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"