3rd Trimester
Options

FTM wondering about back labor

On Thurs, I had my 37 wk appt.  I was not dilated at all (no mention of effacement).  They did a NST and I was having pretty regular contractions, but only feeling them some of the time - and when I was they weren't painful.  Then later in the day, my lower back started to hurt and that night I felt contractions in the front as well.  Some were pretty uncomfortable, but not what I would call painful.  Last night, same thing worse back pain and a few contractions in the front but nothing horrible and I didn't try to time them.  Contractions went away and I went to bed.  I've had back pain all day today - actually it went away for a few hours, but came back full force.  It doesn't change based on my position and I just started feeling contractions again in the front - more uncomfortable than before.  I keep trying to time them.  It's obvious when it starts but not as much when it ends.  I've had 3 BMs today as well, which is unusual for me. 

Does this sound like back labor?   I know everyone says you know when the contractions are real.  But, this back pain just keeps getting worse and I don't want to take any chances.  TIA.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: FTM wondering about back labor

• Options

Most hospitals wont let you stay until you are in active labor anyway, so I would just wait it out till it gets unbearable. It could also disappear after a couple hours. Last week I had time-able painful contractions that stopped after 6 hoursSad

Edit: At 37 weeks I doubt they would stop labor

• Options
    Thanks, ladies! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My back labor didn't feel like normal back pain at all. It was very low down, like in my tailbone/butt area, and it was so incredibly painful I felt like I was going to split apart. Even the very first contractions were too painful to walk through. I never felt my contractions in the front or sides at all.

I don't know if that helps or not, sorry. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had back labor, but it was very sudden at 40w 2d, and all my previous BH contrax had been in the front, so it totally caught me off guard.  They came fast and furious, starting in longer intervals late that morning, where I thought they were just back pain and went and bought a heating pad.  By 5 pm, I couldn't breathe or walk they were so excruciating and close together...  Not to scare you, but if they do get close together, get to the hospital asap, as these contrax are HELL...  Utterly horrid.  My MIL had back labor as well, and said there's nothing like it, indescribable.  You will have tightening and pain in front, but will only notice your back.  If you feel like a knife digging in your back, and they're constant with little relief, I would move quickly!  You don't want to miss your epidural window of you have this labor!  The pain meds were the only way I could function to even think to push!  GL...

Chemical Pregnancy 5.2011. BFP 9.2011 MC @ 8.5w D&C 11.4.2011 sweet pea is always in our hearts. BFP 3.23.2012! Our baby turkey is due 11.22.2012! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLauraT25:

To me it doesn't sound like you are ready to call your OB and head to the hospital, but you could be in early labor and gearing up for the 'real thing'.  Definitely call if it will ease your mind or you're not sure, but I had almost the exact same thing going on and I was told that until it becomes extremely painful, there's no use coming in, regardless of the back pain and how frequent the contractions are and how long you've been having them.

This exactly. I went to the hospital twice in early labor and was sent home. It's not fun and can be pretty disappointing.  You will know when it's the real thing but like mentioned above if it would make you feel better, it can't hurt to call your OB. Good luck!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with PP who said that back labor feels like knives. Mine felt a lot like a ball and chain attached to my lower back and someone was tugging on it. The pain was so intense that I actually had to close my eyes in pain and try to imagine just getting through it.

What you're talking about sounds like either early back labor or just your pelvis spreading. You will KNOW if it becomes true back labor!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagePotomacSt:

My back labor didn't feel like normal back pain at all. It was very low down, like in my tailbone/butt area, and it was so incredibly painful I felt like I was going to split apart. Even the very first contractions were too painful to walk through. I never felt my contractions in the front or sides at all.

I don't know if that helps or not, sorry. Good luck!

This exactly. And it was so sharp and intense I would almost jump out of my skin.  

Cole Joseph 7/05/07

Nora Anne 11/03/12
    9lbs, 6oz
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone.  This was super helpful.  I really appreciate your detailed responses.  I definitely don't think I'm there yet :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"