Breastfeeding
Options

I made it 12 months! If you need any encouragement..

I'm so very happy to be writing this post and never thought I would be able to but I have made it 12+ months now and I'm so happy I stuck it out! To any of you that need encouragement and are struggling I started out with a 36 weeker, they're known to be lazy sleepy eaters that won't latch, so my supply sucked in the beginning all the LCs just gave him formula and I was so discouraged and sad that I would never last more than a couple months. I read a nursing mother's companion (great book), took more milk plus (in liquid form, it tastes horrible but works amazing and fast), and ate steel cut oats daily, I was able to bring back my milk!! Then I had a slight over supply! I had a baby who then wanted to eat for 45 minutes and every 2 hours, that's right I only had about an hour and 15 minutes to burp and change him and then start all over again, this went on for a few months! I got plugged ducts and then mastitis oh it was awful and painful I thought surely I can't do this anymore. But someone said never quit on a bad day so I never did and I'm sooo glad I didn't. Each month it became easier and more natural. I still ended up being prone to plugged ducts, having somewhere around 75 throughout this year, it was awful but I learned how to avoid them better each time. Milk blisters I had about a dozen over the year but I knew they wouldn't last forever and they didn't, just a couple days. My point is don't give up! I weathered pretty much ever obsticle there could be in breastfeeding and I'm so happy that I stuck it out and am still nursing today! My son turned one yesterday and we're doing 4 sessions a day now, morning, night and after his 2 naps, and he only nurses for about 5-8 minutes total now. It's great and I don't plan to cut him off anytime soon, jsut going to let him wean naturally. I'm so happy I've been able to bond with him all of these times and give him the best thing nutritionally. Good luck to all of you and your breastfeeding endeavors! :)
?DD 9/17/10 22wks I carry you in my heart.?
bfp#2 2/14/11? cerclage placed at 13 weeks
?DS 9/29/11 36 wks 3 days 8lb 20 1/4" ?
bfp#3 12/15/12 CP 12/27/12
bfp#4 2/25/13
beta#1 51 beta#2 163 beta#3 1,370

Re: I made it 12 months! If you need any encouragement..

• Options
    Congrats!
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    Congrats!  I'm hoping I can make to a year.  Right now that sounds like a long way away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is awesome!! You should be so proud of yourself! I have a few questions for you...I have a 7 1/2 month old, and we are still going strong. Although, I feel like my milk dips here and there. I'm still nursing every 3 hours or so. Is that what you did? I've also found that my left only makes like 1-3 ounces, but my right makes anywhere from 3-5/6. My milk actually almost all went away when she was 4 months...AF made her evil return. But, with basically staying in the bed and nursing all the time, then double pumping after, TONS of herbal supplements(so much so, that I actually got sick,) my milk came back. I still get worried time to time because I feel like I'm not making 6-8 ounces every 3-4 hours. Her pedi said she needs 6-8 every 3-4 hours. Did you make that? She is quite healthy, and doesn't fuss or anything like she's hungry. I guess I'm just a bit more nervous about it now that she's older(and bigger-about 18 pounds) that I am not going to make enough to keep up with her needs. 
  • Options
    Thank you for your encouragement!  It is great to hear positive success stories about BFing!
  • Options
    imagetayrob1986:
    That is awesome!! You should be so proud of yourself! I have a few questions for you...I have a 7 1/2 month old, and we are still going strong. Although, I feel like my milk dips here and there. I'm still nursing every 3 hours or so. Is that what you did? I've also found that my left only makes like 1-3 ounces, but my right makes anywhere from 3-5/6. My milk actually almost all went away when she was 4 months...AF made her evil return. But, with basically staying in the bed and nursing all the time, then double pumping after, TONS of herbal supplements(so much so, that I actually got sick,) my milk came back. I still get worried time to time because I feel like I'm not making 6-8 ounces every 3-4 hours. Her pedi said she needs 6-8 every 3-4 hours. Did you make that? She is quite healthy, and doesn't fuss or anything like she's hungry. I guess I'm just a bit more nervous about it now that she's older(and bigger-about 18 pounds) that I am not going to make enough to keep up with her needs. 
    3-4 hours sounds pretty normal to me. As far as the amount, I believe that breastmilk changes it's fat content to support the needs of the baby as the baby grows so they aren't really needing more by volume because your milk changes with their needs. You know better than your ped if your baby isn't fussing and seems satisfied and has good output then you're likely right on track ;) It's hard to not worry about supply once you've run into a supply issue and af can really hurt supply too but taking a 'nursing vacation' like you did is the perfect solution for that. Sounds like you're doing great! Stick with it ladies! I know a year sounds like a long time or a long ways away for some of you but trust me it will fly by! :) I know a year
    bfp#4 2/25/13
  • Options
    Also what you said about one side making more than the other, that is Totally normal! One side is often the boss and the other is just the assisitant ;) my right can always put out twice as much as my left!
    bfp#4 2/25/13
  • Options
    Congrats! What a great accomplishment!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"