December 2012 Moms
Options

The "mommy gene"

Anyone else see/read this article? Very short, kinda vague but claims scientists have found a gene linked to maternal instincts....

https://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/gene-motherhood-143651678--abc-news-parenting.html 

Anyone else a little concerned with where the general public could take this info? 

As someone who loves babies/kids but has never been called "maternal" I'm a little offended by the implication that it may be a genetic thing that I have no control over. Also doesn't help the stress-level as a FTM who is already a little freaked about being a "good mom", whatever the heck that means. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
image image image

Re: The "mommy gene"

• Options

It seems like one of those nature vs. nurture arguments. But I can't argue the fact that some people are just not cut out to be mothers but still are. I guess thats their journey though oh well. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options

If there is a such thing as a mommie gene then I def dont have it lol! Growing up I never had baby dolls or had an interest in babies, I dont like kids and was the last person everyone thought would have one... yet here I am 30 weeks into my first pregnancy :-)

I think the difference is this baby is mine so of course I will care about/for it. I smile everytime they move and cant wait to kiss/cuddle them bc I carried them for 9months. Im having a neice also and while I'm sure I'll love her I'm not as excited as most would want me to be bc she is my sisters "gift". Im sure she will be cute and sweet but bc I dont have that attachment/bond with her she prob wont get the same level of "loving attention" that my baby will. I generally dont get too excited about any thing in anyway so I dont see what that would be different. WIll that make me (or you) a bad mom - absolutely not.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"