February 2013 Moms
Options

Is a healthy lifestyle change right now ok?

I feel that like that is a stupid question, but hear me out. DH decided to revamp his whole diet and lifestyle for the better, for which I am so so proud of him. Anyways he's starting it out with a juice/ light dinner diet. All even slightly unhealthy food has disappeared from the fridge and has been replaced by fruits and veggies. So I thought yay!! this is going to be great for me and the baby. So the last couple days I've been keeping my calorie and nutrient intake up where it should be (I'm very careful about this), but I'm hardly eating anything processed or packaged now and I drink the juice that DH makes along with eating regular meals I make for myself. I feel like I should feel great, but DH and I are both feeling exhausted and pathetic. I knew DH would feel that way at first because he is eating much less and is supposed to be detoxing/ losing weight, but I'm really worried that my body is detoxing too even though I'm eating lots, and I'm really worried that it's going to hurt the baby. If it is dangerous for the baby, I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Do I go get a Big Mac? lol Going back to eating like I was before doesn't seem like it would be good either. Any similar experiences/ advice? Please! 
BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers image From the poster formally known as mghalpert

Re: Is a healthy lifestyle change right now ok?

• Options

For what it's worth, you'll almost always feel like crap for the first week or two of making a good diet change that reduces your empty-carbohydrate-intake. It isn't because your body is "detoxing", it's because sugar is an addictive substance - when you suddenly reduce your daily sugar intake to just fructose from whole fruits and high fiber juices, your body goes into craving mode and makes for some really uncomfortable feelings, bodywise. 

If your new diet still includes PLENTY of protein and fats (meats, eggs, cheese, nuts, avocados, etc), and you're meeting a good daily calorie intake, I'd encourage you to stick it out. That's the important thing - not starving you or your baby of protein and fat. Baby is not going to suffer from missing out on fast food or ice cream :)  

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    imageRynleigh:

For what it's worth, you'll almost always feel like crap for the first week or two of making a good diet change that reduces your empty-carbohydrate-intake. It isn't because your body is "detoxing", it's because sugar is an addictive substance - when you suddenly reduce your daily sugar intake to just fructose from whole fruits and high fiber juices, your body goes into craving mode and makes for some really uncomfortable feelings, bodywise. 

If your new diet still includes PLENTY of protein and fats (meats, eggs, cheese, nuts, avocados, etc), and you're meeting a good daily calorie intake, I'd encourage you to stick it out. That's the important thing - not starving you or your baby of protein and fat. Baby is not going to suffer from missing out on fast food or ice cream :)  

Yes  Agree. And I've had experience with cleansing. If you can, show a sample day's food log to your health care provider and get their opinion. From what you say I'm sure the PP is right but it is reassuring to ask your doc/midwife to be sure.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! Sugar withdrawal makes a lot of sense and makes me feel a lot better. Yes, I'm very aware of the amount of protein I eat and am careful I'm getting plenty. Also, DH, aka my nanny/mother hen, has a conniption if he ever thinks I'm not eating enough of something, lol. He's very helpful and hilarious. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers image From the poster formally known as mghalpert
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"