1st Trimester
Options

Feta Cheese

How many of you avoid this and other soft (unpasteurized) cheeses during pregnancy?

Would love to hear your reasons why/why not. =)  

TIA! 

My little guy!  Everett Richard born 9/3/13

Re: Feta Cheese

• Options
    You can find pasturized feta cheese.  I wouldn't have survived my last pregnancy without it considering how many times I needed a gyro.   As long as you check the label and it says pasturized, it's fine.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageKissimi21:
    You can find pasturized feta cheese.  I wouldn't have survived my last pregnancy without it considering how many times I needed a gyro.   As long as you check the label and it says pasturized, it's fine.

This.  The vast majority of grocery store cheeses are pasturized.  I craved brie my last pregnancy.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto the other posts!  Any cheese is okay as long as it is pasturized.  Most cheeses are at the grocery are, just be sure to check the label.  You might run into unpasturized at a farmers market or dairy farm.  Just be sure and ask or check to clarify.  I love cheese!!!!
  • Options
    I was wondering about this too.  What about at a restaurant?  Eat the soft cheese or don't risk it?
    TTC #1 - BFN; TTC #2 - BFN; TTC #3 - BFP!!! Beta 1 - 149 Beta 2 - 250 Beta 3 - 442 Beta 4 - 1987! BabyFruit Ticker Announcement
  • Options

imageJen727BF:
    I was wondering about this too.  What about at a restaurant?  Eat the soft cheese or don't risk it?

Let the quality of a restaurant be your guide.

Denny's?  Eat the cheese.

Authentic French restaurant?  Ask the server.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Options
    I ate Greek salad in a restaurant when I was pg with #1. I don't go out of my way to eat the stuff but on occasion I just eat it. We went out last night outdoor food festival I ate a gyro it had feta I ate it. It was the best gyro EVER!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Panera is pasteurized I know that much (people have asked). In general most "big" restaurants would be, because of the volume they would need to serve with. They don't want to run the risk of getting people sick.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    Awesome. Now I need cheese.

• Options
    Well, I don't eat any unpasteurized cheeses right now, but it's really rare to find one in the U.S. anyway.  Unpasteurized soft cheeses are illegal, and hard ones tend to be only sold from specialty dairies and cheese shops.  Anything you buy in a typical grocery store is almost certainly going to be pasteurized.
  • Options

imagecandreco:
    Well, I don't eat any unpasteurized cheeses right now, but it's really rare to find one in the U.S. anyway.  Unpasteurized soft cheeses are illegal, and hard ones tend to be only sold from specialty dairies and cheese shops.  Anything you buy in a typical grocery store is almost certainly going to be pasteurized.

Exactly this.  If it is unpasteurized it has to be marked as such and I am not even sure you can purchase it at any of the main grocery stores in my area (possibly at a specialty market though).  Most restaurants (definitely all chain) serve pasteurized cheese.  I have eaten a ton of feta and a bit of brie and goat cheese with this pregnancy without thinking twice.   

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    No reason to avoid soft cheeses. If you bought it from a normal grocery store and not a specialty shop it will be pasteurized.
  • Options
    MMMM love me some feta.  And, yes during all of my pregnancies.
  • Options
    I had a feta and spinach omelette at a diner yesterday and it was amazing. Although I probably shouldn't assume, I just did assume it was pasteurized.  Woops.
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

imageWorkinWeezel:
    I had a feta and spinach omelette at a diner yesterday and it was amazing. Although I probably shouldn't assume, I just did assume it was pasteurized.  Woops.

I would bet a lot of money that it WAS pasteurized. You're fine!

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"