Breastfeeding
Options

When did you first NIP

I am a FTM and EBF my LO. Right now I have only nursed at home where I have my boppy, my favorite chair, and foot rest.  I still help LO latch by making a nipple sandwich, so I always use both hands to get things started.  I know that I will eventually have to NIP but I am nervous to do it. When did you first NIP, how old was your LO, and how did it go?

Re: When did you first NIP

• Options
    I sort of NIP from the beginning at weekly lactation support group. While it was all BF women, it was a good stepping stone for me as I was extremely shy. My first real NIP was at my 6 week pp checkup at the OB. There were a surprising amount of men there. It went pretty well, I had a nursing bra and a wide neck shirt I just pulled down. GL, it gets easier.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Last week at Chuck e Cheese was the first time I NIP.

We got everything ready to go and hubby asked me if I was going to take the bottle of BM that was in fridge. I said no. He looked at me oddly and said "You're going to breastfeed in public?" I just smiled and nodded. 

I did use a cover though. But it went very well. I felt so proud of myself. Before I had kids, I never pictured myself NIP. The idea just seemed so strange to me, mainly because I never really see anyone doing it. One of these days I hope I can do it without the cover.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was super nervous to NIP so I put it off for 3 entire months. I didn't go anywhere unless it was a short trip where I could nurse before leaving home, and be back before he was hungry again. I finally got up the courage to do it and it was no big deal at all. Then I kicked myself in the butt for waiting so long and staying home so much.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

If you count nursing in a car as NIP, then when DS was a few days old (less than a week).  I nursed before we left, we ate breakfast out then took DS to a pediatrician's appointment.  It turned out he needed to go to the lab to get a heel stick (jaundice) so I BF in the car in between the pedi and lab.  I folded up my jacket to use as a pillow under my arm and didn't use a cover.  Other than being a bit cramped, it went fine.

ETA:  I have large breasts and (still!) almost always use both hands when I nurse.  It stinks that I can't do anything at the same time, but it doesn't impact NIP at all.  If anything, my hand being there helps cover my breast.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Options
    He was 2 weeks old, we were at a restaurant, eating outside, and there wasn't really anyone around, but my husband and my dad. I ended up putting a light blanket over him, especially to get him to latch. I did it again a couple of days later, and today I was at a pride parade, with my 3.5 weeker in the sling, and without a cover, pulled up my shirt, unsnapped my nursing tank, and fed him in the middle of a crowd. I felt awesome! With the tank and shirt layering, you could barely see anything, and with him being so little in the sling, he was the perfect height for nursing. I've also fed him a bunch of times in the car, but that's more for the cool of the a/c and the comfort of nursing while sitting than the modesty factor. 
  • Options
    DS was about 2-3 weeks old the first time I NIP with him - we'd gone to pick up his birth announcements from the photographer (about an hour each way), and he was having a meltdown in the car on the way home.  My dad & I were hungry, too, so we stopped at a restaurant about 20 minutes from home, and I nursed him in the booth at the restaurant.  It went fine - I stayed covered while feeding him, and once he fell asleep, I put him back in his carseat.
  • Options
    My DD was about 6 days old... We went out to breakfast with our visiting families.  She was in a ring sling and it worked perfectly.  I nurse her everywhere, usually with a blanket or cover.  Go for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    10 days old, at a restaurant with a cover and in the subway, waiting for the train. It was ok... not wonderful, but it had to be done. Baby was so small then though, it's much easier after about 3 months just the logistics of holding them and dealing with everything ...
    + 6/1/11, due 2/12/12. natural m/c @ 8wks
    + 9/3/11, due May 2012. overdue baby born healthy!
    + 8/3/15, natural m/c @ 5wks
    + 1/4/16, due 9/14/16

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    In the reception room at the doctor's office at 5 days... A few days later at a packed restaurant-- both without a cover (but still modestly). It really isn't a big deal at all, and, honestly, I don't think that people notice most of the time. I do it whenever it needs to be done.
  • Options
    A small cafe when LO was 3 days old.  If you just do it, it isn't a big deal at all.  I nip without a cover now and have an issue with people coming to see the baby and don't even realize he is eating... actually that just happened tonight at a cookout!
  • Options
    3 days at the pedis office..one week at church. I am usually pretty modest but surprisingly I have no issues with NIP.
    DD1 October 2008
    DD2 October 2010
    DS September 2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies!  I think I am making myself more stressed out by worrying about it!  I just need to bit the bullet and NIP!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"