Cloth Diapering

Does anyones LO still get rashes in cloth?

I read all these posts about how, "It's been 15 months and my kid has never had a diaper rash!"

Or, "The lack of rash is my factor for cloth diapering!"

I guess for us that's not really true.

LO has had her share of rashes. Nothing bad (other than the yeast rash she got from being sick. but that'd have happened regardless). Nothing out of the standard typical diaper rash, but we still get them.

So I guess it's not true for us. I love CDing and will advocate it to the end, but I guess "lack of rash" isn't something I can add to the pro list.

Her diapers are definitely clean, she's changed often, I keep the area dry, all that jazz. I just think she has a rash prone butt no matter what. It happens in sposies too.

Anyone else?

Re: Does anyones LO still get rashes in cloth?

• What sort of diapers do you use? Do you use a preventative before the rash starts?
  • I've heard that certain materials can irritate babies skin as compared to other materials. Do you use one material exclusivly(cotton, bamboo, hemp ect?) You may want to try a differnt material.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedairygirl19:

I read all these posts about how, "It's been 15 months and my kid has never had a diaper rash!"

Or, "The lack of rash is my factor for cloth diapering!"

I guess for us that's not really true.

LO has had her share of rashes. Nothing bad (other than the yeast rash she got from being sick. but that'd have happened regardless). Nothing out of the standard typical diaper rash, but we still get them.

So I guess it's not true for us. I love CDing and will advocate it to the end, but I guess "lack of rash" isn't something I can add to the pro list.

Her diapers are definitely clean, she's changed often, I keep the area dry, all that jazz. I just think she has a rash prone butt no matter what. It happens in sposies too.

Anyone else?

this has been our life for the past 5 weeks....it's so frustrating! She has this reoccurring diaper rash that as soon as I get rid of it, it just comes back a couple days later once I go back to my cloth for overnights. I hate disposables and want my full time cloth back but right now we have been in sposies for the past 4-5 weeks. It's not yeast as per the ped, she gets changed every 2 hrs if not less. She gets fully dried before the new diaper goes on. And it's not related to a specific diaper bc it happens in cloth and sposies alike. I've treated all my cloth with bleach and tea tree oil to kill anything lingering....but alas....we still have a reoccurring diaper rash. So darn frustrating! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, DS is very sensitive to moisture and he was rashy from about weeks 6-14, shortly after we switched entirely over to CDs. He never got a yeast infection, it was just rash due to moisture. Early on I tried sposies again but it didn't make a difference, because at the time it seemed that he was sensitive to some diaper creams too.

He also has pretty bad eczema, so I think his tendency to rash is related. I've been doing an elimination diet to see if it will help get the eczema under control and I think it's been helping. 

We've never had any problems with getting the diapers clean, and I never let him sit around in a wet or poopy diaper. I'd rather have a larger load of laundry than try to get a little more time out of a diaper.

The only time he has been rash-free was when we went back to sposies for the last two weeks -- we were doing an international move and our entire cloth stash was in transit. With sposies I can use a heavy duty barrier ointment and I think that really makes a huge difference for him. 

At the moment we've settled on cloth during the day, sposies at night. At least this way we only go through 2-3 sposies per night, and I can use a stronger barrier on him when he is likely to be in a diaper for a longer period of time. We use Grandma El's at night, which I know is supposed to be CD safe but since it has petrolatum in it I'm not going to risk it with my cloth. During the day we use CJ's at home and we have Grovia Magic Sticks in our diaper bags. 

Hopefully DS will grow out of some of his skin sensitivities. I would love to do nighttime cloth again. 

• Thanks girls!

I guess I'm not really worried about it at all.

It comes and goes. It's really random. It's not like I get rid of one for her to get one back instantly. That's what makes me think it's nothing other than her being her, kwim?

I also do use a CD rash cream as a prevantative esp. at night. I do Connstartch during the day.

I have Kawaii, FB, and BGS. They otherwise work well for her.

It's also not a bad rash. If you googled typical diaper rash, her butt would be a spitting image sometimes. It also happens no matter the brand, sposie or cloth. That's what makes me trust it's not an allergy or the like. She's not overly sensitive otherwise.

I guess all I'm trying to say is I can't be the girl who says, "My kid has never had a rash in a CD!" ;)

• Yes, DD gets teething rashes.  Very often now as she's getting canines and for whatever reason those are wreaking havoc on her system.  She's also had random rashes due to tummy troubles.  She's only had one or two really bad rashes where I've resorted to put her into sposies with heavy duty diaper rash cream.
  • imageveruca5839:
    Yes, DD gets teething rashes.  Very often now as she's getting canines and for whatever reason those are wreaking havoc on her system.  She's also had random rashes due to tummy troubles.  She's only had one or two really bad rashes where I've resorted to put her into sposies with heavy duty diaper rash cream.

I'm pretty sure teeth cause most of mine too.

• Yep, we still get some rashes. From teething, but also from acidic foods. If she eats an orange I know she'll be red the next day. It usually clears up pretty fast so I don't sweat it.

She does seem to be sensitive to wetness too. We had to quit using anything that wasn't stay-dry, so I had to sell my BGEs and we can't do fitteds. That wetness against her skin, even for just a few hours, turns every spot the diaper touches bright red!  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • LO is 4mo and I think he may have had ONE rash free week in his entire little life. It's not on his cheeks, but on his inner thigh. It's there through CJs, Grandma El's, Grovia Magic Stick, coconut oil, CA Baby, switching to disposables, OTC anti fungal, Nystatin, Pinxav, Triple Paste, Desitin, AD, Boudreaux's, vinegar baths, baking soda baths, microfiber, cotton, fleece, naked time, washing his bum and blow drying at each change. The ONLY thing that cleared it up was steroid cream, but since it doesn't bother him I've only done that once when it was really bad.

He's a rashy, allergic guy. I have to slather the rest of him in Aquaphor twice per day for eczema. I am also off soy and dairy because he has dietary intolerances. The weird thing is its BETTER in the AM after a 12 hour overnight BG 4.0 stuffed with microfiber and hemp with a fleece liner. If it were moisture, I would think that would really make it bad.
  • DS has only ever gotten rashes when he was teething with his 1- and 2-year molars so I can only assume it had something to do with what was going on with his body around that time.  Other than that, no diaper rash.  Obviously I have no idea how he would have done in disposables though because he hasn't worn one since he was 7 weeks old.  Maybe he wouldn't have had rashes in sposies either.  I think every baby is different, but for us the no rashes in CDs has been pretty true :)
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"