January 2013 Moms
Options

Uh.. Naming Twins?

So I am sitting here at work spinning in my office chair listening to Europe.... and a thought crossed my mind.

So many people pick their babies names out before they are born. You find names you like etc call your baby by their name in utero if you well...

What about twins? Say you pick out two names you like... How do you decide which baby is which? I get that you can wait until they are born to name them.. but what if they are identical? How do you pick who gets what name?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Uh.. Naming Twins?

• Options
    I have no idea, but I'm totally picturing playing Eenie Meenie Miney Mo Big Smile
  • Options
    I don't know how others do it but I have identical twin brothers. My parents picked the names Nathan and Nicholas before they were born. Baby A was Nathan and Baby B was Nicholas. My mom knew where each baby was in her belly and could identify which one was moving, thus calling each by name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageRockyTopVols:

So I am sitting here at work spinning in my office chair listening to Europe.... and a thought crossed my mind.

So many people pick their babies names out before they are born. You find names you like etc call your baby by their name in utero if you well...

What about twins? Say you pick out two names you like... How do you decide which baby is which? I get that you can wait until they are born to name them.. but what if they are identical? How do you pick who gets what name?  

We are expecting identical twin boys. We have picked out two seperate names and will just decide at birth who gets which name. It's just like when you have your LO, you'll look at her and just know that's her name. For us - we'll just look at them and know which name belongs to which. Some MoM's decide Baby A will be Name1 and Baby B will be Name2 - but us personally we are waiting until delivery.

1 of the boys will be Hayden Erik and the other will be Liam Robert.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageEAMommy:
    I don't know how others do it but I have identical twin brothers. My parents picked the names Nathan and Nicholas before they were born. Baby A was Nathan and Baby B was Nicholas. My mom knew where each baby was in her belly and could identify which one was moving, thus calling each by name.

Seriously? Wow. That is awesome. I didn't know it gets that detailed.

I also didn't know they labeled them Baby A and Baby B. That is pretty awesome.

• Options
    imageRockyTopVols:

imageEAMommy:

Yep. Baby A is the one that is closer to the cervix and Baby B is the higher up baby. They have to have them labeled in order to record growth information/ heart rate, etc..

• Options
    imageRockyTopVols:

imageEAMommy:

Yeah but I also thought that who was "baby A" and who was "baby B" changed depending on who was closest to the cervix? Can't that change if they are very active? 

• Options
    we picked out a lot of names and then when they come we will see who looks like what!! we wanted to feel out their personality before they just got stuck with a name
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

• Options
    imageakating:
    imageRockyTopVols:

imageEAMommy:

Yeah but I also thought that who was "baby A" and who was "baby B" changed depending on who was closest to the cervix? Can't that change if they are very active? 

It can - after a certain point they're isn't enough room for them to switch spots though. Also - there is normally a difference between them - even being identical - mainly with weight. Our's haven't changed positions since we've had regular 2 week u/s starting at 17 weeks. Baby B is normally an ounce or two bigger than A.

• Options
    imageakating:
    imageRockyTopVols:

imageEAMommy:

How can they tell if they changed too? What if one just outgrew the other? Then vice versa?

• Options
    imageakating:
    imageRockyTopVols:

imageEAMommy:

Yes baby A and B can change if they flip flop around in there.

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    My husband is an identical twin.  MIL was convinced they were boy-girl twins, so they picked out one boy name and one girl name.  DH's brother was born first, so he got the boy name.  DH came out next and they quickly realized they couldn't name him Jillian... 
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby248 - ETA 1/10/13
  • Options

imagejenn248:
    My husband is an identical twin.  MIL was convinced they were boy-girl twins, so they picked out one boy name and one girl name.  DH's brother was born first, so he got the boy name.  DH came out next and they quickly realized they couldn't name him Jillian... 

Is his name Julian? lol

• Options
    Ha ha - no.  It's David, which is his oldest brother's middle name.  I guess they were on a bit of a time crunch to come up with something at the last minute :) 
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby248 - ETA 1/10/13
  • Options
    imageRockyTopVols:

OMG I almost fell off my chair. For some reason I read your Friday ticker wrong and thought today was your third A/S today, but its a little away. I thought you were asking because they found twins after all this time, and I was like...that is impossible....I think...LOL.  

• Options
    imageRockyTopVols:
    imageakating:
    imageRockyTopVols:

imageEAMommy:

How can they tell if they changed too? What if one just outgrew the other? Then vice versa?

My husband and I are having identical (the MFM thinks at least) twin boys like PP, however, we have 2 names picked out and will assign with birth order.  Baby A - Ward Vincent (born first) and Baby B - Trent James.

I'm not calling them by those names in utero in case they switch/flip on me.  At the same time Baby B has been extremely active compared to Baby A and ALWAYS tempermental during an u/s - I'm fairly confident if they did switch I'd be able to tell. 

Baby A has also always been bigger and their growth discordance has been between 5 - 15%.  I guess Baby B could have a huge growth spurt and we could mistake him for Baby A, or they could flip and Baby B would become Baby A... all of this is why I'm waiting to call them by their names after birth Smile 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ha we didn't have that issue we are having one of each. Baby A has been our girl and baby B has been our boy. 

Before we knew b/g we decided to just assign based on birth order.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker DD#1 3/04 *TTC #2 since 6/2010 EDD 1/30/13 changed to 2/4/13 we are having boy/girl twins!
  • Options

imagerinascita:
    imageRockyTopVols:
    imageakating:
    imageRockyTopVols:

imageEAMommy:

My husband and I are having identical (the MFM thinks at least) twin boys like PP, however, we have 2 names picked out and will assign with birth order.  Baby A - Ward Vincent (born first) and Baby B - Trent James.

I'm not calling them by those names in utero in case they switch/flip on me.  At the same time Baby B has been extremely active compared to Baby A and ALWAYS tempermental during an u/s - I'm fairly confident if they did switch I'd be able to tell. 

Baby A has also always been bigger and their growth discordance has been between 5 - 15%.  I guess Baby B could have a huge growth spurt and we could mistake him for Baby A, or they could flip and Baby B would become Baby A... all of this is why I'm waiting to call them by their names after birth Smile 

Can't highlight on my touchpad but glad to know our baby b isn't the only one like this  :) its neat to see their personalities and differences in the ultrasound :) 

• Options

Baby A will be Eden Alyssa 

and

Baby B will be Ilana Claire

We just call them Eden and Ilana in utero.  

So whoever is born first get's Eden and whoever is born second get's Ilana. 

Katie-Married to David Mommy to Ben-11/11/05-6 Levi-4/23/07-5 Noah-6/6/09-3 and Mia-8/20/11-1
    Twin Girls-Eden Alyssa and Ilana Claire born 12.12.12! Lilypie First Birthday tickers My Blog
  • Options
    I find picking the names the hard part!  We will probably wait to see our little ones before assigning names.
  • Options

Haha, maybe the "favorite" name goes to the first born?

Or you can just start calling the name and seeing which one cries when you do :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"