1st Trimester
Options

TTC lurker ... Just curious ...

My hubby and I are started TTC in November ... I've been ready for over a year and he just told me he is now too so im getting off the pill and Doing what we need to. I'm obviously anxious and was just wondering how long it too you to get BFP?

Also, now that you are all on your way to baby id love your advice on finances ... Do you now feel like maybe you weren't as stable as you thought you were not that little expenses are in full affect? I'm just trying to plan ahead and get an idea of if we are really as financiallt comfortable as we think we are.
Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: TTC lurker ... Just curious ...

• Options
    Financially you can never be as prepared as you may like to be.... My husband and I started trying for a baby and got pregnant quickly. We likely conceived on the first or second try but we were lucky.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

You should definitely feel comfortable financially before having a baby. It's not a time to just guess that all is ok, it's a big deal! This is the best time to sit down, see where your money goes and see if all is financially stable before you have that BFP. I know we had to cut back on eating out, road trips and clothes shopping (no biggie). I also pay attention to sales ads and coupons more now. Also, take a serious look as to work plans. That's the BIG adjustment that you have to take into consideration. Are you going to be a SAHM? Will you both be able to adjust ok to that financially? If not, who will watch LO while you work, how much will sitting cost, etc. 

It took me 9 months TTC with DD. When we tried for #2, I had two losses but I got pregnant on the first attempted cycle of each. Same with my current baby...and hopefully this LO sticks this time.

Good luck to you!!  

imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We got our bfp on our third cycle off bcp, second actively TTC. We wanted to have a house first and still have a financial safety net before I quit bcp.
  • Options

Hi- Lurking!

It took us 8 months of active TTC.

And not to scare you, but when I was pregnant I had a stroke-like incident that cost 8K in the ER, then delivery which around 5K, and then pregnancy ruined my gallbladder and gave me an insane case of pancreatitis that landed me in the hospital for 3 days and racked up 15k. Insurance pays for 60% 

Insurance is something to think about. If you end up formula feeding- we are doing about $100 a month for that, plus they outgrow their clothes so often! Diapers are hugely expensive. I looked into cloth diapering and it might be cheaper, but the numbers didnt crunch in my head.

Remember the first time you moved out? And youre like holy cow! there are SO many things that a house needs to have in it- Having a baby is like that.  

• Options

Babies, for the most part, are not as expensive as some ppl may say they are. We aren't loaded but we're also not stressing over money for the baby.

I don't know your finances, but if someone were in dire need, they could still get buy.. for example..If you plan on breast feeding, then you won't have to pay for formula. You can always get cribs 2nd hand or passed down from a friend. Babies also don't need toys, so you won't have to worry about spending money on that. You just need the necessities.

As long as you and hubby are aware of the GROWING expenses once baby is on the move (they grow out of clothes and diapers really fast!) then you should be fine. Plan ahead for the kinds of things you want/need and you'll get there. 

It took us 3 months to get pregnant.

You can order pregnancy tests online for WAAAY cheaper that in store. I bought 5 pregnancy test strips and 20 ovulation strips for $13. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    imagethatoneredhead:

And not to scare you, but when I was pregnant I had a stroke-like incident that cost 8K in the ER, then delivery which around 5K, and then pregnancy ruined my gallbladder and gave me an insane case of pancreatitis that landed me in the hospital for 3 days and racked up 15k. Insurance pays for 60% 

thatoneredhead- same thing happened to me, with the pregnancy killed gallbladder and then the complication (mine was a stone that had fallen into my biliary duct) afterwards landing me in the hospital for 3 days. Total suckitude.

OP- Babies are very expensive. That being said, you don't have to be rich or have a huge savings account in place to become a parent. It's wise to have some money put away, but don't put off having your family based on money alone. The expenses don't all come at once and somehow you will make it work.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

We were successful on our second cycle, and we feel so fortunate!

As for the finances, it is important to us that I stay home with baby. We made sure that we could survive and still save while just living off of H's income. We also have a decent savings account. Before trying, we bought a used car since we both had trucks. (This wasn't a requirement, but something we planned on doing before baby came.)

We are lucky to have our finances in order, but you can do it being much less prepared. You just have to be careful what you spend money on and see what you actually need. Don't buy all that stuff they only use for a few months. (Bassinet, bouncer, swing, etc.) Don't buy unneccessary things like a bottle warmer, wipe warmer, and all those cutesy things.

Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    imageMomma2Michelle:
    imagethatoneredhead:

thatoneredhead- same thing happened to me, with the pregnancy killed gallbladder and then the complication (mine was a stone that had fallen into my biliary duct) afterwards landing me in the hospital for 3 days. Total suckitude.

OP- Babies are very expensive. That being said, you don't have to be rich or have a huge savings account in place to become a parent. It's wise to have some money put away, but don't put off having your family based on money alone. The expenses don't all come at once and somehow you will make it work.

And that pain! oh my! It sucked so bad. Happy to have it gone

and ill add- you do make it work however well off you are. This would be smooth sailing, no money worries if it hadnt have been for my medical problems 

• Options

I don't think you are ever prepared financially.. My DH seriously doesn't want another baby after this one as that is more money for vacations when we go, college and girls weddings. But we are comfortable and provide well for our family. I think Diapers and such just fit into every day living.. over the years I use coupons, I would of bought certain things such as swings etc.. from consignment stores because they aren't in them two minutes! But when it's your first everything needs to match and is new and your not thinking about the money. I EBF so no money for formula, I made my own baby food and froze it in ice cube trays. I think you just make it work, like I said those are day to day costs.. as they get older the costs increase.. school, college, weddings... 

Medical ins is a big deal. It cost us $5,000 deductible Out of pocket then after LO was born I suffered with Gallblader attacks, wrong diagnosis, I  insisted on another opinion and 6 months later Gallstones, into a new year whole new deductible... held off getting pg againdue to this, pg then m/c, now pg again LO will be born in a whole new year Whole new freaking deductible which is now $6,000 so $16,000 in almost 3 yrs. yey for us!

As for getting pg time frame...

DD # 1 First Cycle

Baby # 2 First Cycle  resulted in m/c

This pg Second Cylce 

Sit and talk.. save and be as prepared as best you can! GL!!!!!

• Options
    imageRussianMommy:

Babies, for the most part, are not as expensive as some ppl may say they are. We aren't loaded but we're also not stressing over money for the baby.

I don't know your finances, but if someone were in dire need, they could still get buy.. for example..If you plan on breast feeding, then you won't have to pay for formula. You can always get cribs 2nd hand or passed down from a friend. Babies also don't need toys, so you won't have to worry about spending money on that. You just need the necessities.

As long as you and hubby are aware of the GROWING expenses once baby is on the move (they grow out of clothes and diapers really fast!) then you should be fine. Plan ahead for the kinds of things you want/need and you'll get there. 

It took us 3 months to get pregnant.

You can order pregnancy tests online for WAAAY cheaper that in store. I bought 5 pregnancy test strips and 20 ovulation strips for $13. 

Where did you get the cheap tests??? 

• Options

It took us 11 months to get to a pregnancy that has stuck. We had 4 losses on the way, though. 

We didn't know that it would take this long, so when we started trying we definitely weren't as financially stable as we are now. Now our finances are all in order and we've actually been able to put away a big chunk of money into the "baby fund" every month. Looking back at it now, as difficult as the journey was, I'm kind of glad that God waited this long before blessing us with this pregnancy. We're definitely much more prepared for the LO now than we were a year ago - both emotionally and financially :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"