Pregnant after 35

Need excuses for M/S...

I don't want everyone at work to know yet since it's so early and I had the CP a couple cycles ago. But so far, it's been really hard-- I had a certification class today and I had to run out at one point to go puke. The bathroom was right outside the classroom so everyone heard me wretching and started asking questions.

Since I work in a hospital (I'm a nurse, so I'm with patients all day), I can't just say "I must have a touch of the flu" or I'd get sent home. 

Anyone have some suggestions for a benign reason to be throwing up? A lot? For more than a week?

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
        -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
<br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

Re: Need excuses for M/S...

• I hate to say it but I don't think there's much you can do if they can actually hear you.  People will probably become suspicious.  If they can't actually hear or see you throwing up, you can just excuse yourself to go to the restroom as normal and they can just think you have a weak bladder or something lol.

Maybe your doc has already mentioned this, but you'll probably have to get away from the 3 meals a day thing for a while.  Try eating a bunch of smaller meals throughout the day of whatever sounds good to you.  Or do like me and keep a big bag of pretzels (or whatever you like) on hand at all times lol.  It really does help.

Also, if it's that bad (or even moderately bad), call your doctor and ask for some drugs.  Most docs are willing to give you some Phenergan or Zofran to help with the nausea.

Melissa

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • Well I just spilled the beans today but only told my boss, we have some late nights coming up and I might need to do the work from home if I'm not feeling hot. I know he won't tell anyone.

Can you tell your direct supervisor only? They have an obligation to keep it a confidential until your ready to tell everyone and then maybe just tell everyone else your stomach has been sensitive lately or something?

nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I don't trust my supervisor. She means well, but when I asked her TWICE to keep my CP private, she told one of the charge nurses who didn't need to know.

And I can't eat small meals when I'm at work. I do that during the day when I'm home, but I work in the ICU-- I'm lucky if I get lunch. Most days, i don't get to eat lunch until 3-5 pm. I have some protein bars and snack food, but a lot of times, I don't have time for that-- I'm stuck in one of my patient's rooms. My patients are really sick, and we're understaffed a lot, so if we're not directly caring for our patients, we're looking for help to turn them or helping someone turn their patients (our average patient is 350-450 lbs and unconscious).

This is why I think my M/S will be worse at work. I may just have to suck it up and know that my coworkers will know earlier than others. Two of my coworkers were in my class today, so I know at least they know... 

I think I'm going to have to play it by ear and see if I can't get a hold of some prego pops or something that don't look like the obvious M/S remedy...

The good thing is that a dear friend of mine is working this weekend, also, so that will be helpful!

*********************************************************************************************

-- Abraham Lincoln

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >

• Good luck. You will have no choice but to have snacks in your pockets. You need something every few hours. Any sucking candy helps in between.

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
    10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
    IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
    Moving on to IVF in July
    37 with DOR...fabulous
    ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

• imagedanieleandwayne:

I don't trust my supervisor. She means well, but when I asked her TWICE to keep my CP private, she told one of the charge nurses who didn't need to know.

And I can't eat small meals when I'm at work. I do that during the day when I'm home, but I work in the ICU-- I'm lucky if I get lunch. Most days, i don't get to eat lunch until 3-5 pm. I have some protein bars and snack food, but a lot of times, I don't have time for that-- I'm stuck in one of my patient's rooms. My patients are really sick, and we're understaffed a lot, so if we're not directly caring for our patients, we're looking for help to turn them or helping someone turn their patients (our average patient is 350-450 lbs and unconscious).

This is why I think my M/S will be worse at work. I may just have to suck it up and know that my coworkers will know earlier than others. Two of my coworkers were in my class today, so I know at least they know... 

I think I'm going to have to play it by ear and see if I can't get a hold of some prego pops or something that don't look like the obvious M/S remedy...

The good thing is that a dear friend of mine is working this weekend, also, so that will be helpful!

I think drugs are your solution then!  Have you asked your doc about Phenergan or Zofran?

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • I will on Tuesday! (No food in the pockets. That would be like eating MRSA! I might as well lick their open wounds! LOL)

-- Abraham Lincoln

• imagedanieleandwayne:

I will on Tuesday! (No food in the pockets. That would be like eating MRSA! I might as well lick their open wounds! LOL)

Yikes, and I was going to suggest carrying protein bars in your pocket, LOL.  Ok scratch that.  I think Zofran may be your best bet.

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• Yeah, I think so. I'm going to bring a couple protein bars and put them in my bag and store that behind the nurse's station. If I'm lucky, I'll have a slow day and will be able to drink and snack. I've heard the LifeFlight helicopters go overhead 5 times today, so there's a chance we'll be busy but won't get any admissions. Those take up more time than anything.

I think I picked the wrong career, though, for working through M/S-- it's not like the normal smells of every-day ICU are conducive to avoiding the nausea! LOL But other nurses have done it before me, so it must be possible! The really awesome thing about working at a hospital is that if anything happens to me during this (hopefully) 9 months, I'll have trained staff around me and the maternity wing is only a few minutes away!

-- Abraham Lincoln

• You could try food allergies and/or food poisoning, but I think you'd have to be an amazing liar to pull it off. Sounds like Phenergan/Zofran is your friend here!
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • I lived on jolly Rancher hard candy the first 3 months. Can you hide a few of those in your pockets?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"