November 2011 Moms
Options

The kiddie leash...

LO isn't walking yet (he couch cruises) but I've been thinking about what we'll do when he walks. Obviously, the topic of the kiddie leash came up. Every time I see one in public, I laugh and make fun (to myself, obviously never to a parent).. for whatever reason it just seems unnatural to me. However, I have no idea how LO will be behaviorally and I obviously don't want my own ideas on it to get in the way of keeping LO safe. So I haven't really decided yet-- though DH says no way. What will you do/ STMs what have you done?

Re: The kiddie leash...

• Options
    I know I haven't lived with a child that runs off out of nowhere, but I just can't do that. I am naive in thinking that I will have the type of kid that behaves and doesn't do that in public. You STMs+ can laugh at me now. :-)
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm not opposed to using it, but I don't think I would use it until we have another baby. If I'm alone in public with a baby and a toddler, then hellz yes I'll be using it if I need to to keep her safe. Hopefully, though, DH or someone will be with me to help.

- Ava -  11-29-11

- Violet -  10-9-13

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD never ran away nor did we use a leash. IMO, if LO is a runner, I'll do whatever I have to in order to keep him safe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I haven't even considered the leash for my two year old.  He isn't a perfect angel behaviorally, but he is a pretty good listener.  When we are going to be someplace a bit too hectic for me to feel comfortable with him walking about freely, he goes in the umbrella stroller and DD goes into the front pack. 

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Options

Nope, it's not for us.

DS1 just turned two and he's still pretty good about riding in the stroller. When he wants to walk, we let him. If I'm alone with both boys, I wear DS2 in the Ergo and let DS1 walk. If DH and I are together, we each take a kid.

I can understand why some parents feel the need to use one, especially in a crowded public place. But, for us, if there's a place where we feel like we can't control the kids, we simply don't take them there.

• Options

If DS is a runner, I would probably consider using one. I mean, if it kept him safe, there would be no question about it.

We have family friends that have 2 year old twins and a 11 month old. They use a leash for the twins because they run in opposite directions. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to keep your kids safe.

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Options
    It all depends on the kid and the situation, but if I ever feel the need to do something like this, I'll use the ring sling. They can double as a leash if need be.
  • Options
    imageStefB28:

Nope, it's not for us.

DS1 just turned two and he's still pretty good about riding in the stroller. When he wants to walk, we let him. If I'm alone with both boys, I wear DS2 in the Ergo and let DS1 walk. If DH and I are together, we each take a kid.

I can understand why some parents feel the need to use one, especially in a crowded public place. But, for us, if there's a place where we feel like we can't control the kids, we simply don't take them there.

This! 

• Options

I've learned to never say never. (ugh stupid Justin Bieber ruined this phrase... lol)

We aren't planning on getting one, but who knows?

And in the case of the twins and another baby, I can totally see how it is a lifesaver! 

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of our Rainbow Baby after 2 early m/c.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We have a backpack leash for DS.  We've only used it a couple of times, but I'm glad we had it.  When we were in the process of teaching him things like holding hands and staying close, I really wanted that extra insurance in crowded places like the aquarium and airport.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I won't say no, but I would like to avoid it.  I just have no clue what DS is going to be like and since DS and the new LO will be so close in age, I won't rule it out.  DS already likes to see how far he can go, so I think that may be the case as he gets older too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageRedCamaro:
    My DD never ran away nor did we use a leash. IMO, if LO is a runner, I'll do whatever I have to in order to keep him safe.

Yes

also I think these are interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Hold-On-Handles-Bizzy-Double-Handle/dp/B00466HCUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348831329&sr=8-1&keywords=hand+hold+for+toddler

• Options
    imageshabamwam:

imageRedCamaro:

Yes

also I think these are interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Hold-On-Handles-Bizzy-Double-Handle/dp/B00466HCUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348831329&sr=8-1&keywords=hand+hold+for+toddler

I feel like I would use something like this before I woudl use a leash.  Atleast with those, you're letting LO have their space to explore, but still teaching them they have to hold on and stay close.  I won't say never, but I really don't see myself ever buying a kiddie leash.  I personally think they make some parents lazy.  I saw a guy with his 2 year old on a leash in the mall.  The kid was walking really nicely right by dad, and dad was just holding the other end, looking around talking on his phone totally ignoring the kid.  I think leashes definitly have a purpose for some families, and situations, but I don't see us owning one, and if we did, I can't imagine us using it more than a couple times in certain situations. 

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • Options

I confess, I own a leash-sort of. It's really a plush backpack shaped like Minnie Mouse and her tail is the leash.  So it's cute and my DD1 liked it.  But I've never used it for just a trip to Target or the mall.  For that kind of outing, my DD was usually pretty good about sitting in her umbrella stroller.  At places like Target, she was pretty good at staying with me while walking and not overly crowded.  But definitely used it during a trip to Disney World.  Places that are overly crowded like amusement parks, festivals, etc if I knew DD would want to walk, I liked having that leash in my hand so I knew she was there. 

She is now almost 5 and she is too old for it, but I still worry at crowded places because she tends to be in her own world and will wonder without realizing she can't see me.  I hate it.  But when I was a teenager, my nephew was lost when we went shopping once because he was hiding under a clothing rack! Scared the Bejeezus out of my SIL and me! So I am pro-leash.

• Options
    I'd never use one on my own child, but definitely thought about using one on SD lol. Nah, kidding... a little LOL! When my my Mom was a kid, people used to tell my Grandma ALL the time to put her on one and my Grandma would tell them no. My Mom has ADHD and was always full of energy, my Grandma didn't see why "containing" her to a leash was necessary, after all she wasn't an animal!
  • Options

No. With DD, if she didn't listen, or do what was safe, she went back in the stroller. We live in NYC and you need to learn the rules fast. She is now almost 3.5 and walks every where. So basically, my feeling is: no following the rules = consequences (going back in the stroller, leaving park early, etc...).

If it's a situation where I think the kids would run off, we don't go. If i HAVE to (airport for example), DS will stay in the stroller until I feel we are in a safe area where he can run off some energy.

• Options

Possibly stirring the pot a little here, but a lot of people mentioned keeping kids constrained in a stroller instead.  I'm confused as to how that's better.  When the kid is always in a stroller, they don't have a chance to learn how to walk nicely and stay with mom and dad.  And either method could be considered lazy.

Maybe I am lazy because I'd rather take a leash to an airport than drag a stroller through security

Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
  • Options
    imagesmilelari:

Possibly stirring the pot a little here, but a lot of people mentioned keeping kids constrained in a stroller instead.  I'm confused as to how that's better.  When the kid is always in a stroller, they don't have a chance to learn how to walk nicely and stay with mom and dad.  And either method could be considered lazy.

Maybe I am lazy because I'd rather take a leash to an airport than drag a stroller through security

I totally get your point. Personally, I feel like it's different, even though I'm not sure I can articulate why...

I guess I see riding in a stroller as a normal part of infancy & toddlerhood as small kids are simply not able to walk as long a distance as we may need to go-- many kids are more than happy to ride & think it's fun. (I'm lucky that neither of my boys really fight being in the stroller when they need to be.)

Allowing a kid to walk while pulling/holding them back by their chests just doesn't sit right with me. I'm not sure that it actually teaches them what they *should* be doing (certainly no more than forcing them to ride in a stroller would)-- I feel like it's a power struggle I'm not willing to engage in.

We try to mix things up depending on our location-- when it's safe DS walks, when it's not, he's in his stroller... I'm guessing it's this way for most people. I don't know any parent who "always" constrains their child to a stroller in public. (I agree with you, that doesn't teach kids how to walk freely in public.)

I don't think either method is lazy-- I just think that one's right for my family & one isn't. No judgement on what's right for others.

• Options
    imageStefB28:
    imagesmilelari:

I totally get your point. Personally, I feel like it's different, even though I'm not sure I can articulate why...

I guess I see riding in a stroller as a normal part of infancy & toddlerhood as small kids are simply not able to walk as long a distance as we may need to go-- many kids are more than happy to ride & think it's fun. (I'm lucky that neither of my boys really fight being in the stroller when they need to be.)

Allowing a kid to walk while pulling/holding them back by their chests just doesn't sit right with me. I'm not sure that it actually teaches them what they *should* be doing (certainly no more than forcing them to ride in a stroller would)-- I feel like it's a power struggle I'm not willing to engage in.

We try to mix things up depending on our location-- when it's safe DS walks, when it's not, he's in his stroller... I'm guessing it's this way for most people. I don't know any parent who "always" constrains their child to a stroller in public. (I agree with you, that doesn't teach kids how to walk freely in public.)

I don't think either method is lazy-- I just think that one's right for my family & one isn't. No judgement on what's right for others.

See, we only used the leash as a backup while DS held our hand.  We've used it exactly twice.  The aquarium and the airport.  And we only used it at the airport for one trip when he was < 2 years old and walking.

We hardly ever use a stroller.  It's a PITA a lot of places, like the airport, and the kid would rather walk anyways.  We use it at the zoo pretty regularly (like once a month) but grocery store, mall, etc he walks and I wear DD.

Shawn and Larissa
  • Options
    I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but it is not my style.  There are some instances where I could see it being used as a necessary safety option.  I also don't have a runner.  DD1 is a good listener (so far) and knows that if she wants out of the stroller she needs to hold our hand.  I'm very big on teaching the girls how to behave in public.  They don't have toys or electronic devices to keep them distracted, they have human interaction and are redirected when not behaving in the manner we find acceptable.  
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Never. I will hold my daughters hand.
  • Options
    I see no need for a "leash" if you only have 1 child.  That is a 1:1 ratio...I have used one when DS1 was 2 and a runner, and DS2 was an infant in a stroller.  Made getting out of the house in the winter much more manageable by myself. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"