Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Help me "fix" an early wake-up

What's your schedule like if your LO naps 2x a day? Or what was it like?

DS is up between 5-5:50, on his own, every morning. He naps at around 9 and again at around 12:30 at DC (1h in the morning, 2h in the pm). At home it's the same, though I don't limit his am nap to one hour like she does and I end up putting him down a little later for his pm nap because of it. During the week, he has to be up at 6.

He is down in his crib between 7-7:15 and takes anywhere from 5-15 minutes to fall asleep.

I don't mind going to bed super early during the week to deal with the early wake up, but would rather stay up past 9 on weekends. I would take a 6am wake up on weekends, but would LOVE a 6:30-7 start to my day.

Think this can be adjusted?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Help me "fix" an early wake-up

• Maybe you can transition him to 1 nap?  WIll he be switching DC rooms soon?  That might help the early wake up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageHElizabethDU:
    Maybe you can transition him to 1 nap? nbsp;WIll he be switching DC rooms soon? nbsp;That might help the early wake up.

He's definitely not ready for one nap. He's been doing this for months now.

• Loading the player...
  • Up until about 2 weeks ago, my LO was waking up between 5:30 and 6 and I prefer that she wake up more like 6:30-ish.  In the last couple of weeks she's started sleeping later, and I wonder if it's because it's starting to stay dark later in the AM?  Just a guess...

LO is 12 months and 2 weeks old- we still do 2 naps.  Our schedule is:

6:15-6:45 wakeup

9:15-9:30 down for nap, up around 10:45-11

2:15-2:30 down for nap, up around 4

Bedtime 8:00

She usually talks for 5-10 minutes before going to sleep.  Like your LO, mine is not yet ready to drop a morning nap.  She still gets tired in the mornings. 

• This might sound weird, but can you try an earlier bedtime? It seems that when we put DD down early at 6:30 she sleeps till 7 am. When she's up till 7:30 or later she's up around 5 or 6 am.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • imageMrsCodeMonkey:
    This might sound weird, but can you try an earlier bedtime? It seems that when we put DD down early at 6:30 she sleeps till 7 am. When she's up till 7:30 or later she's up around 5 or 6 am.

This exactly! We read the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby. It seems so counter-intuitive, but it literally has saved our marriage. LO is usually asleep by 6:45, and he sleeps until 6:30-7.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • As long as DS is not crying I stopped going in there before 6am. He'd wake up anywhere from 4:30 to 6 and I'd go in there trying to get him back to sleep and it seemed to just wake him up more. So I set a time of 6am and wasn't going to go in there till after that time. I guess he got the hint cause he seems to go till about 6:40ish now. He does pretty well with stretching the 1st nap to start at 9am. 
    Started TTC - 01/2009 1st BFP - 09/04/09,1st u/s - 10/06/09- no heartbeat seen, D&E - 10/13/09 BFP #2 - 2/12/10, m/c 2/17/10 BFP #3 - 01/03/11 m/c 01/10/11 BFP #4 - 02/21/11 DS born 10/13/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • since switching to 1 nap DS has been waking up at 5am!!!! I tell him to "shhhhh" and he falls back asleep till 6am and then I let him talk to himself until 6:30 when I can muster the energy to get up, it sucks! When he was on two naps he was waking at 6:30/7 but he was also going to sleep at 9 so now he goes to bed at 8 but still I would think he would sleep till at least 6:30 on his own.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • imageDawnJM25:

Up until about 2 weeks ago, my LO was waking up between 5:30 and 6 and I prefer that she wake up more like 6:30-ish.  In the last couple of weeks she's started sleeping later, and I wonder if it's because it's starting to stay dark later in the AM?  Just a guess...

LO is 12 months and 2 weeks old- we still do 2 naps.  Our schedule is:

6:15-6:45 wakeup

9:15-9:30 down for nap, up around 10:45-11

2:15-2:30 down for nap, up around 4

Bedtime 8:00

She usually talks for 5-10 minutes before going to sleep.  Like your LO, mine is not yet ready to drop a morning nap.  She still gets tired in the mornings. 

It's dark here until about 6:30-6:45 right now.

• imageMrsCodeMonkey:
    This might sound weird, but can you try an earlier bedtime? It seems that when we put DD down early at 6:30 she sleeps till 7 am. When she's up till 7:30 or later she's up around 5 or 6 am.

I've thought of this... if I'm up incredibly early again tomorrow, I may try it.

What are naps like for you?

• We've tried every adjustment possible and he still wakes up at 5:15-5:45 most days.  If he slept until 6:00, I'd throw a party. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imagekatie4253:
    We've tried every adjustment possible and he still wakes up at 5:15-5:45 most days.  If he slept until 6:00, I'd throw a party. 

Boo. Not what I wanted to hear.

• DD did this for a month, DH and I switched off weekend mornings so we could sleep in, I got Sat and he got Sunday. She started to sleep longer by herself.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"