Toddlers: 24 Months+

Getting flu shot while sick...can they??

My son is scheduled to get his flu shot this morning at 9:30 am and I don't think I can call until 9 when the office opens.  Well, Carter is sick.  He doesn't have a fever, but coughing, congested and he may have an ear infection.  He had tubes put in his ears in June and stuff is draining out right now as he tugs at his ears.  We've been giving him Ibprofen to help control pain...he has been super cranky.  However, I haven't given him any this morning yet in case it would cover a fever.  And I checked and he still doesn't have one.  So will they still give him his flu shot while being sick?  I heard they only don't give it if their is a fever??  Any thoughts?

*No flu shot debate here...my son has gotten the shot twice and will continue to get it.  He has reactive airway disease, goes to daycare ane we are both school teachers...too many possible germs all around us.

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

Re: Getting flu shot while sick...can they??

• Our pedi doesn't give flu shots if the kids are sick. Fever is a definite no, and generally not feeling good is discouraged. I'd probably reschedule, if it were me.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Ok...thanks!  Yea, I am going to call at 9 and get their opinion...just wanted to get some of yours beforehand. 

• Loading the player...
  • I probably wouldn't do it today if he is feeling icky, even if he doesn't have a fever.  No reason you can't just do it in a few days when he is feeling better. Plus if just woke up with the crud this morning he could potentially still develop a fever.

if he had a runny nose and cough but was fairly content otherwise I would've done it but not if he is super cranky. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yea, I cancelled his appointment.  We will do it next week.  Thanks ladies!

• Hope he feels better soon!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Mine were at the tail end of a 2 week cold and never had fevers so they got the okay for the mist.  5 days later they are runny nose/congested/coughing again.

Off topic but OMG your body looks amazing!

Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"