Breastfeeding

WWYD with extra milk?

I have a slight oversupply and will be running out of freezer space soon (we have a small freezer). I would love to donate my extra milk, but I wouldn't be eligible for a milk bank because I am on an antidepressant medication.

I thought about donating directly, but I'm thinking no one would want milk from a mom on antidepressants. I should mention, this is an older, "safer" tricyclic medication with poor milk transfer that I switched to specifically for pregnancy and nursing. However, I would not be on this medication unless absolutely necessary, and I feel like asking another mom to even consider giving my milk to her infant is unfair. On the other hand, I hate the thought of dumping all that BM! Any thoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD with extra milk?

• I think there are still moms out there who would love the milk - just be upfront about the medications you're taking, and they can decide for themselves.  I know there are sites out there that help match up moms with milk to donate with moms that need milk for their babies - two that I can think of off the top of my head are Human Milk for Human Babies (https://www.hm4hb.net/) and Eats on Feets (https://www.eatsonfeets.org/).  HM4HB I know has local Facebook pages, so you can find someone local who needs milk so it's relatively easy to transfer the milk.

Good luck - and I think it's awesome that you want to do this!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with offering your milk through direct donation as long as your completely honest about the medication and dosage you are on to whomever receives your milk.  In your place I would probably put the offer up on the page and include that you're on a medication, if comfortable with it you might even specify what it is.   Then if a mom is in search of milk and willing to use milk from a mom on medication they can contact you for further details.  Either offering or responding to a request does not force the other mother to use your milk, so it isn't "unfair" since the other mom has a choice and can research the medication.   Good Luck, I hope you can find a mom who can use you milk.

• Loading the player...
  • DON'T THROW AWAY THAT MILK! Even if you cannot find a recipient, it still has many beneficial uses. Eats on Feets has a great FB community to donate with.
    Certified Lactation Counselor Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all for the input! I'd love to put this milk to good use. Thanks for the perspective.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"