Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

LO not a fan of finger food

So my LO sorta picks up his finger foods and gives them the stank eye and proceeds to wipe them off his hands.

I've tried covering the bits of food with cereal dust and have found that he will often suck the cereal dust off and then spit out the solid food. If he does try to swallow it, he usually gags on it (causing my husband to freak out and say "stop, you're choking him!" or "stop he doesn't like it!")

He very much enjoys picking up and eating puffs and mum mums but that is all he'll eat consistently. I kinda feel like there is not much nutritional value in that stuff so that makes me kinda sad.

Anyway, is there a secret or a trick to this finger food thing that I'm missing? Or do I just need to keep offering and expect LO to eventually change his mind?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

Re: LO not a fan of finger food

• Options

I think he'll eventually change his mind. Maybe try putting a little piece of something on a spoon to see if he'll take it that way to get him used to the taste/texture.

GL!

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options

DD just now (at 11.5 months) started being okay with finger foods.  I'm sure part of it was my hesitation after she seemed to gag, choke, and puke after she ate anything, and my husband sounds as equally paranoid as yours! 

I would just keep trying but don't get frustrated.  I'm sure your LO will come around to it eventually!   

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

In the beginning LO did better with huge chunks of food that she had to gnaw off rather than small pieces. We shared a dinner plate a lot of the times, we also share bananas. She won't eat a banana if it is in pieces, she just smashes them and laughs. Have you tried a quarter piece of toast or a mini waffle? If I make a cheese quesadilla, LO won't eat it when i break it up into pieces for her. However, if she comes over and sits in my lap she will pick it up off my plate and eat the same size piece as me. They'll figure out how to bite with their front teeth and chew with their molars (or jaw if no teeth yet). I never did BLW with her either. She started on purees and quickly moved to chunkier pureed food and then she started grabbing from my plate. 

P.S. gagging is not the same as choking. they need to learn how to move food around their mouth. coughing is normal too. It is when they stop coughing then you worry.  

• Options
    My 9 1/2 month old won't even eat puffs, if that makes you feel better.  :)   She will pick up a biscuit for a few minutes and suck on it, but that's all the luck we've had so far.  Up until now I haven't really allowed her to explore much and make a mess with the food.  I'm just starting now to allow her to do that, and hoping that that helps.  I'm trying not to stress over it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"