June 2013 Moms

Folic Acid? Too Much? Not enough?

Hello, I just found out that I am pregnant with my first child, due June 2013...not quite up to speed yet on my preggo knowledge...but I am certainly glad that a blog like this exists.

My question is:  Since my pregnancy was a bit of a surprise and perhaps I wasn't the greatest with faithfully taking a prenatal vitamin prior to pregnancy.  I was wondering if anyone takes a prenatal plus a 1mg folic acid supplement in addition? I have found limited information that indicates extra folic acid is bad for you...just wondering what you have heard.

Thank-You in advance :)

Re: Folic Acid? Too Much? Not enough?

• Folic Acid is water soluble so whatever you take that your body doesnt need will be flushed out of your system. 1mg isnt really a lot anyway. The prenatal I take contains 1mg, and then I have to take an additional 3mg because of my prior losses. I think you should be fine, but ask your doctor if you are concerned.

He's my fairytale, a dream when I'm not sleeping.

<a href="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/behapybride/?action=view
  • I'm also taking an additional 5mg because of my history of loss.  You should be fine, but talk to your doctor.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker

4 losses: Natural m/c 8w 1/11, CP 12/11, CP 3/12, and our perfectly healthy baby girl Charlotte Grace, missed M/C 5/31/12 at 8w5d
    DX: Endo, heterozygous MTHFR, low progesterone
    Surprise unmedicated BFP 9/21/12!! Beta #1 9/22 (10 DPO) 46 Beta #2 9/24 (12 DPO) 226! Heartbeat 136 bpm at 7w! It's a BOY!  Theodore Joshua born 5/23/13 at 7:36am via c/s, 7lb13oz, 19.25in
    TTC#2 5/14, BFP 8/15/14!  Beta #1 16 (11 DPO), Beta #2 71 (14 DPO) Beta #3 164 (16 DPO) Beta #4 633 (21 DPO) Beta #5 1487 (23 DPO) Heartbeat 121 bpm at 6w6d!  EDD 4/25/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Your body removes any excess folic acid you take :
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not sure about the folic acid but congrats!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"